This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Gaming News Roundup - March 2016

Tonight on GeekNights, we cover a wide variety of gaming news. Xbox games will have cross-platform play with the PS4, Blizzard has patched Diablo II and Warcraft 3. All the legal positions of Go were calculated a few months ago, and now AI is playing better than the best humans. Twitch is courting game developers to integrate more tightly with streaming, and also launches a cooking stream. Playstation VR expands the consumer VR space.

Support GeekNights on Patreon! (or don't). Buy our T-Shirts! Come see us at Anime Boston, Zenkaikon, and PAX East!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Machine learning makes another significant advance

• On the S.M Town thing, it sounds like they're doing what the American Bubblegum Pop industry did back in the 60's. Mainly, finding someone who looks good, teaching them to sing, then giving them a guitar to strum and a backup band. They're just doing it on a larger scale and with a global audience rather than just American teens.
  • edited March 2016

On the S.M Town thing, it sounds like they're doing what the American Bubblegum Pop industry did back in the 60's. Mainly, finding someone who looks good, teaching them to sing, then giving them a guitar to strum and a backup band. They're just doing it on a larger scale and with a global audience rather than just American teens.

KPop has been doing this since 1997. The new thing he is announcing is that they are going to distribute. Instead of their being just one idol group, there will be copies of the exact same group around the world. They've already tested this idea on a smaller scale EXO-M and EXO-K. But imagine if there was EXO-NY, EXO-LONDON, EXO-DELHI, EXO-RIO. Right now they are producing a product that has worldwide fans, but they have no means to get money from fans outside of Korea, Japan, and some in China. If he succeeds, he can extract money from the whole world.

Also, don't get the wrong idea about KPop. Yes, they manufacture talent using a similar mechanism to bubblegum pop. But the work ethic, money investment, and time investment, brings about much better results. Also, the people actually creating the songs and choreography are the best in the world, since that's where the money is. There are indeed many idols who are just there because they look good, but there are still plenty with actual talents. If they can perform well, what does it matter if they were born with talent or practiced like crazy?

Also, the ones with actual talent tend to be the ones that succeed. Right now MAMAMOO is tearing it up, and just performed at SXSW. Holy crap can they sing. Also, they are insane.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Music in general, I'd like more Daft Punk/ and Gorillaz type bands. Their mostly faceless and aren't about performing live. Would be more interesting to see more commissions for music videos, to diversify the visualisations.

Have musicians focus on the music making, and artists/ animators/ choreographers take a symbiotic role.

eg. Interstella 5555 - Studio Ghibli version/ Studio Trigger/ Madhouse/ Studio 4°C
  • Dazzle369 said:

Music in general, I'd like more Daft Punk/ and Gorillaz type bands. Their mostly faceless and aren't about performing live. Would be more interesting to see more commissions for music videos, to diversify the visualisations.

Have musicians focus on the music making, and artists/ animators/ choreographers take a symbiotic role.

eg. Interstella 5555 - Studio Ghibli version/ Studio Trigger/ Madhouse/ Studio 4°C

I only look up music videos if I've hard and liked listening to a song multiple times first.

The video clips are sometimes fun and fit the mood of the song especially if you know it inside out. The novelty / interest of watching an audio media fades pretty quickly for me.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Music in general, I'd like more Daft Punk/ and Gorillaz type bands. Their mostly faceless and aren't about performing live. Would be more interesting to see more commissions for music videos, to diversify the visualisations.

Have you met my friend Miku?
  • Of course. There needs to be more variety/ diversity. More more more.