This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Tech News Roundup - March 2016

Tonight on GeekNights, it's a tech news roundup. We mostly talk about Apple announcements. The rumors on the small iPhone and iPad pro were spot on, and Apple gives the FBI a hearty middle finger. Some people want to bring back supersonic commercial air travel. T-Mobile pushes the line on what flies under Net Neutrality. Rym continues his specs on a new PC and talks a bit about cooling the newer high end i7s. Scott discusses what turned out not to be fountains of blood. All this and more.

Our Patreon is not only in full swing, but very close to our first goal of releasing (with commentary) all the pre-October 2005 "beta" episodes we did for our friends! Most recently, Rym and Emily reviewed Zootopia. We'll be live at Anime Boston and Zenkaikon the next two weekends! This will likely be our last Anime Boston, so if you really want us to return after 2016, let them know.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• To solve the problem of tabs going inactive that have your Hangouts in them, I started using Pushbullet. It's a chrome extension that is a remote interface for all phone notifications. It works scarily good. It also requires scary-level permissions and access to my google account. So that's a huge tradeoff. I figured I would let it run for a little bit, and if I'm not in love, I will rescind.
  • Matt said:

To solve the problem of tabs going inactive that have your Hangouts in them, I started using Pushbullet. It's a chrome extension that is a remote interface for all phone notifications. It works scarily good. It also requires scary-level permissions and access to my google account. So that's a huge tradeoff. I figured I would let it run for a little bit, and if I'm not in love, I will rescind.

I just went back to using the official Hangout Chrome extension that I had previously given up on. Seems to have gotten some updates during my time away from it.

• Nvidia Pascal is just around the corner, to serve all the 4k needs. Probably needs a new motherboard however.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Nvidia Pascal is just around the corner, to serve all the 4k needs. Probably needs a new motherboard however.

I can wait for that.
  • Man this episode made me want a new pc again, but I am poor. I just finally got up to 4 gigs of ram a few months ago >_>
  • edited March 2016
    It would be interesting if we get to a point where it's possible to upgrade GPU memory. With 4k-8k textures being the real leap in visual fidelity.

Look at that shit!

But more importantly rendering 1080p60 faster. GoPro footage is killing my CPU. I need that major GPU action.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

To solve the problem of tabs going inactive that have your Hangouts in them, I started using Pushbullet. It's a chrome extension that is a remote interface for all phone notifications. It works scarily good. It also requires scary-level permissions and access to my google account. So that's a huge tradeoff. I figured I would let it run for a little bit, and if I'm not in love, I will rescind.

I just went back to using the official Hangout Chrome extension that I had previously given up on. Seems to have gotten some updates during my time away from it.
    I recently started using this. https://github.com/tdryer/hangups
  • I did the same update that Rym is proposing, going up a CPU and going to a new motherboard showed me my video card and SSD were being choked by 50% for CPU intensive tasks.

CS: GO frame rates jumped by a factor of 2.
    Also just using a tower cooler I get the 6700k to overclock to 4.7GHz. 5GHz stable requires a custom water rig and luck.
  • Netflix throttling its own traffic to its own customers is not net neutrality hypocrisy. Net Neutrality deals specifically with ISPs and link providers moderating the flow of traffic between two parties.
  • Netflix throttling its own traffic to its own customers is not net neutrality hypocrisy. Net Neutrality deals specifically with ISPs and link providers moderating the flow of traffic between two parties.

Yes, and no. First of all, you are fooling yourself if you think Netflix is doing that entirely of their own volition. There were likely some talks between Netflix and the ISPs to make this happen. Netflix may also have simply been doing this so that customers would continue watching Netflix on their mobile devices.

If they gave customers on mobile full 1080p, their mobile data would run out FAST. If they found out the reason their bill went up so much was from watching Netflix, they might stop watching on mobile, or even cancel. Netflix doesn't want that.

As for whether or not it relates to net neutrality or not. I don't really care about any stupid semantic argument about what net neutrality actually means. If you argue that what Netflix is doing is net neutral, good for you. It's still horse shit and wrong.

Imagine going to a gas station in your car to get gas. Your car being your ISP and the gas station being Netflix. You buy some gas. You pay the same rate as everyone else. But unbeknownst to you, you are getting shittier gas for the same price as people who have different car models than you do. On top of that, the gas station conveniently doesn't tell the government that they do this when the government is asking them about some related issues.
  • edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

Yes, and no. First of all, you are fooling yourself if you think Netflix is doing that entirely of their own volition. There were likely some talks between Netflix and the ISPs to make this happen.

Then wouldn't that be exactly of their own volition? You may have to clarify your point there a bit more.
    Netflix may also have simply been doing this so that customers would continue watching Netflix on their mobile devices.
    If they gave customers on mobile full 1080p, their mobile data would run out FAST. If they found out the reason their bill went up so much was from watching Netflix, they might stop watching on mobile, or even cancel. Netflix doesn't want that.
    This is in no way material to the fact that Netflix isn't violating the idea of net neutrality.
    As for whether or not it relates to net neutrality or not. I don't really care about any stupid semantic argument about what net neutrality actually means. If you argue that what Netflix is doing is net neutral, good for you. It's still horse shit and wrong.
    Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

You, OF ALL PEOPLE, are trying to hand wave away the semantics of what something actually means? Net Neutrality has always been specifically about those in control of the infrastructure, not the services. What Netflix is doing might be horse shit, but it isn't in violation of net neutrality. The beautiful thing about Netflix NOT being infrastructure is that, if people are so dissatisfied with what Netflix is doing, they can just stop using Netflix.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You, OF ALL PEOPLE, are trying to hand wave away the semantics of what something actually means? Net Neutrality has always been specifically about those in control of the infrastructure, not the services. What Netflix is doing might be horse shit, but it isn't in violation of net neutrality. The beautiful thing about Netflix NOT being infrastructure is that, if people are so dissatisfied with what Netflix is doing, they can just stop using Netflix.

I disagree that it's horseshit - it's good for customers who may have issues with much harsher data caps, or lower tier internet plans. While, yeah, commercial service and all that, it's hardly an expensive one, and it opens it up(In the US) to lower income customers, which I'm pretty keen on.
  • Apreche said:

Yes, and no. First of all, you are fooling yourself if you think Netflix is doing that entirely of their own volition. There were likely some talks between Netflix and the ISPs to make this happen.

Then wouldn't that be exactly of their own volition? You may have to clarify your point there a bit more.
    Nice streaming business you got there. Be a shame if something happened to it.
  • Churba said:

You, OF ALL PEOPLE, are trying to hand wave away the semantics of what something actually means? Net Neutrality has always been specifically about those in control of the infrastructure, not the services. What Netflix is doing might be horse shit, but it isn't in violation of net neutrality. The beautiful thing about Netflix NOT being infrastructure is that, if people are so dissatisfied with what Netflix is doing, they can just stop using Netflix.

I disagree that it's horseshit - it's good for customers who may have issues with much harsher data caps, or lower tier internet plans. While, yeah, commercial service and all that, it's hardly an expensive one, and it opens it up(In the US) to lower income customers, which I'm pretty keen on.
    I'm 99% with you, the 1% reservation being because they really ought to have been up front about the stream quality restriction to users on those networks.
  • The "Netflix is being coerced by ISPs into throttling themselves" is the only way this comes up as a net neutrality concern in my mind. The statement on this, straight from Netflix, is that they are trying to save their own customers from themselves, because Netflix would be the one losing money in the end. The average person is dumb, and you can't expect them to stop themselves from pulling down hours of 1080p video over 4G, blow through their data cap in a day, and cancel Netflix as a result.

Netflix did come back and say they were going to upgrade their mobile app to allow for opt-in non-throttled connection on cellular networks.
  • edited April 2016
    if you're interested in the Hydraulic Press Channel...

MaterialsScience2000
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on