This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Boat Times

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about boat times. In the news, Kraft changed its recipe and didn't tell anyone. Lots of fun stuff going on in this episode. Classic GeekNights.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I feel obligated to post TEEN BOAT to this thread.
  • Now, that one is, to put it mildly, pretty offensive.
  • Rym said:

Now, that one is, to put it mildly, pretty offensive.

And, you'll be slightly pleased to know, all fake.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

If that wasn't obvious from the thumbnail, it's obvious when the guy goes in the water.
  • I can see this formula playing itself out. I live <5 min from multiple marinas. My wife and I both have really good jobs and only 1 kid. Eventually we're gonna be 40-something and have money to blow. I'm gonna wind up owning a boat. I probably won't use it enough to justify it. Hopefully I will work something out where I go in on it with friends.
  • Matt said:

I can see this formula playing itself out. I live <5 min from multiple marinas. My wife and I both have really good jobs and only 1 kid. Eventually we're gonna be 40-something and have money to blow. I'm gonna wind up owning a boat. I probably won't use it enough to justify it. Hopefully I will work something out where I go in on it with friends. </p>

Sail on up the East River and pick me up.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Rym said:

If that wasn't obvious from the thumbnail, it's obvious when the guy goes in the water.
    I thought the one earlier, where the dude runs out the shop and for no reason throws a bunch of boxes in the air would have clued you in.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

Rym said:

I thought the one earlier, where the dude runs out the shop and for no reason throws a bunch of boxes in the air would have clued you in.
    Nice attention to detail. I wasn't watching it that closely.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

I can see this formula playing itself out. I live <5 min from multiple marinas. My wife and I both have really good jobs and only 1 kid. Eventually we're gonna be 40-something and have money to blow. I'm gonna wind up owning a boat. I probably won't use it enough to justify it. Hopefully I will work something out where I go in on it with friends. </p>

Hmmm. I do live directly across from NYC*

*Staten Island

• Matt said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

Hmmm. I do live directly across from NYC*

*Staten Island

I bunked on the navy base there for a few days once. Not as bad as everyone told me!

• My dad's family mostly lives on Staten Island... Well the ones in my dad's generation do. The ones in mine have either moved to the city or the country.
  • Sailing up the East River is actually rather hard - the tides in New York Harbor are rather fucked, so you can only actually pull it off in small craft at certain times of day.

Source: parents have sailed from New Haven to Rochester.
  • Don't forget it is perfectly acceptable to dock your boat at MAGFest and sleep on it while attending...
  • Woo shout out to Groton, CT! Which is where I am now, drawing submarine parts at the Electric Boat.

In terms of private boat ownership, a wise man once told me, "If it floats, flies, or fucks: rent it."
  • Two questions:

1. When you guys are talking about going on boats... Have you never been on a ferry? I know its not exactly the boat experience you guys were talking about, but its definitively the largest ship I've been on.

2. Can I have some more context on how you ended up on a boat with a 'hall and oats' tribute band? Hall and Oats is before my time; but was this recently and was it a poor attempt at being 'ironic'? ( I heard something about Hall and Oats being something of a guilty pleasure for some people and honestly I think it might be good to review some adult contemporary music that you may have missed in your ironic youth and can now appreciate in your earnest adult-hood.)
  • RymRym
    edited April 2016
    Judith's bachelor party. We all got tickets to a Hall and Oates tribute band boat tour up and down the river, around the Statue of Liberty. There are events like that all the time in New York.

Basically, you get on a boat with food and a cash bar. It launches and goes down the river along the New York skyline. Beautiful sunset, lovely view of the city, fresh air, etc... Band plays in the boat with a dance floor, but most people hang out on the decks. They pipe the music from the inside onto said decks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/albums/72157649200964625

Friends on a Boat

Brooklyn Bridge

Friends on a Boat

Friends on a Boat

Friends on a Boat

Post edited by Rym on
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3465405/Jalal-brothers-confess-videos-FAKE.html

$4500 for a fake drive-by. There's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere. Or something.
  • Dazzle369 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3465405/Jalal-brothers-confess-videos-FAKE.html

$4500 for a fake drive-by. There's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere. Or something.

'It's our brand, we do pranks and we didn't want people to know that it was fake,' Max Jalal said.
    Of course he would refer to himself as a brand...
  • edited April 2016
    pence said:

Of course he would refer to himself as a brand...

Well, yeah. I mean, being a "brand" really goes a long way in legitimizing something to people who aren't smart enough to recognize that it's still a FUCKING TERRIBLE IDEA.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • When I was in Annapolis, MD a while back, I took a 2-hour boat ride on Chesapeake Bay to check out one of the cool lighthouses built on an island in the bay. It was pretty peaceful and awesome, just hanging out on the bow of the ship sipping some citrus-y flavored drink and watching the water and the clouds, listening to the sea birds and the boat's motor.

• When listening to the episode, I was idly thinking about what the biggest boat I'd been on was. Then I remembered I work on aircraft carriers.
  • Listened to this last night and now I really want to go sailing again. If I ever move back to NYC, would totally want to go halfsies on a 30-ish foot sailboat and keep it somewhere out on Long Island. Then sailing every weekend.

• Electric boats!