This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• On Monday, I'm officially a technology professional working in Boston, doing technology things for money.

Monday morning, I have an office building that I'll go to every day. I'll have a workspace. I'll have co-workers who are also technology professionals. I'll have a 401(k), and stocks, and health insurance, and a commute.

5th grade Nate's dream of "working with computers for money" finally came true.

This started off as just a funny little way to go "boo-yah" about finally getting a job, but, like... I forgot how much I wanted or missed some of these things.
  • I made my first IOS app yesterday I guess!

Programming is still super not my thing!
  • I just applied to transfer universities. Now I just have to wait to see if I get accepted.
  • edited March 2016
    My weekend in numbers:
    • 3 days
    • 8.5 hours on stage
    • 288 miles
    • $118 tax deductible expenses
    • $55 personal expenses
    • 1 great party
    • 3 hilarious stories heard
    • 1 great game of CAH played with friends old and new
    • 6 awesome co-performers during the lip-sync battle
    • 1 random sumo encounter
    • and 1 more awesome year at HanadokiCon.
    A boo yah of a weekend for sure.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited March 2016

1 random sumo encounter
    This is where it's at. What's life without a few random sumo encounters?

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • It would be a little less salty.
  • edited March 2016

1 random sumo encounter
    This is where it's at. What's life without a few random sumo encounters?
    It's worth noting that my opponent was a solid foot taller than me, at least 100 lbs heavier than me, and I still put her on the floor within 5 seconds. She walked in front of me while I was on my way to Prog Ops and just suddenly took on a sumo stance and started chanting "Tsupuri Tsupuri Doskoi!".

• edited March 2016
    I am the Website & Social Media Director for a paralegal association in my area. Despite being a committee of one, most of the other Board Members being so computer illiterate that I question how they can work and live in current society, and having a web designer who was unwilling to learn the membership management service we use (though she initially said she had "worked with it many times in the past"), and a million other issues...

I launched the new website this week. With the help of the reasonably intuitive membership management program we use, I made it, created most of the content, and tested every freaking feature. It is my bebeh, and I am a proud mama.

Edit: To put this accomplishment into context, in comparison to almost everyone on this forum, I am not computer literate. I cannot program and have had almost no training or experience in website creation until now.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Woo! Go Kate!
  • Woo! Go Kate!

Thanks, Victor!
  • It is my bebeh, and I am a proud mama.

May your child grow up to be a responsible person without any harm done to them.
  • Full GS (Grade) increase. Making more, but still working way too hard. For anymore promotions, I will have to apply for them/change positions.

I love the work that I do because it ends up helping people who are messed up, but I really hate the bullshit I have to go thru to as well as the demands because I'm actually competent. The money helps, for now.
  • edited April 2016
    Luke Crane wants to see my game. Omg omg omgomwagpoinmso=ginsdg.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Luke Crane wants to see my game. Omg omg omgomwagpoinmso=ginsdg.

Wooooooo!
  • edited May 2016
    Had morning tea with a bunch of Japanese Shinto priests and chatted about their massive 1000 year old cedar tree, and 500 year old gingko and camphor trees. Did 50kph down a hill surrounded by tea fields (Shizuoka has all the tea and smells fantastic). Crossed the Horai Bridge, longest wooden bridge in the world at just under 900m. Hauled myself and my camping equpment up all kinds of foothills for 75km today (50% more than my previous daily best).
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Job get.
  • Greg said:

Job get.

Woo!
  • edited May 2016
    I made this in only two days. It's my first time using on-screen elements like this, my first time making something cinematic, and the first time in maybe a year and a half that I've done a full mix (Atmos, AFX, Foley, ADR, Music). I'll be honest, I'm quite proud of how it came out. ^_^

• AHHHHHHHHH!

• Got selected for special training for 4 days in Phoenix. Yay per diem and air miles.

It's during my 10 year anniversary with Jeremy. D:

• I won a contest, my drawful skills are still on point.
  • Rochelle said:

Got selected for special training for 4 days in Phoenix. Yay per diem and air miles.

Woo!
    It's during my 10 year anniversary with Jeremy. D:
    Aww, but also woo?

Pledged.

Thank you! Also, Thanks Coldguy!
  • New job will allow us to move to the Rochester area, closer to family who have offered child care. Also, it means we can purchase a home, possibly a multifamily.

Oh, and Wegmans.
  • New job will allow us to move to the Rochester area, closer to family who have offered child care. Also, it means we can purchase a home, possibly a multifamily.

Oh, and Wegmans.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

• yay, an added reason to visit the Rochester area! Been looking for a reason to travel back that way.
  • edited July 2016

New job will allow us to move to the Rochester area, closer to family who have offered child care. Also, it means we can purchase a home, possibly a multifamily.

Oh, and Wegmans.

To those on my social media feeds, we aren't broadcasting this on those platforms as I have not informed my employer yet I will likely still be in the area until sometime between September and November, so please don't mention this in those venues until we do. ^_^

I thought I'd be nervous/freaking out, but:

-Adam's new position seems like a good fit (teaching traditional art, digital art, digital photography, and basic computing for 7th-12th grade);
    -I can likely find a decent job quickly;
    -The salaries are about the same as the NYS Capital District (where we live now);
    -The cost of living and housing prices are lower (I can buy my dream house out there for the cost of a postage stamp two-bedroom or a larger fixer-upper here);
    -There are great school districts in affordable areas (something a little harder to come by in the the Capital District area);
    -I still have some friends out that way, and my parents and grandmother (who are freakin' amazing human beings) live near there and (as an added bonus to just spending more time with them) have offered assistance with child care and dogsitting; and
    -I can easily and frequently visit the lovely folk of the Albany area just as I've been visiting the Rochester area for all these years.

Could things go wrong? Sure, but things could go wrong here, too. So why freak out, I ask myself. To my surprise and delight, my rational thoughts and my emotions are in harmony.

I am so proud of Adam for landing this job and proud of myself for not becoming an anxiety-ridden mess in the face of a rather large change.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • You guys had a good flexible plan, and this was one of the paths you had planned for. So victory. ;)
  • Rym said:

You guys had a good flexible plan, and this was one of the paths you had planned for. So victory. ;)

For access to Wegmans alone, it is victory! ^_^