This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• Hey, everyone, SpaceX Falcon 9 launch and drone ship landing? Live stream in 20 minutes.
  • There are rumblings of an antipope on the horizon now. Catholics in Brazil are seeing a schism over how un-Catholic Pope Francis is in their eyes.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/01/brazil-breakaway-catholics-rebel-against-pope-santa-cruz-monastery

• If the pope and the antipope touch, do they explode?
  • Churba said:

If the pope and the antipope touch, do they explode?

Battle Pope to the rescue!

• Elections are coming in the UK at the start of May. I've never been more conflicted about who to vote for so I went out to watch the local party representatives debate.

The best canditate there was from the conservative party. But I don't like the way the party is led and their policies are less than progressive. I've emailed the guy to get some clarification on his position on voting with the party line. If he responds satisfactorily I think I have my position for now.

I don't think my self esteem can come out of this one unscathed...
  • An update on Greece. After no progress but lots of inventive ways to make money appear from somewhere--including asking local governments to hand over all their spare cash and paying IMF loans with the IMF deposit--and after no comprehensible (but hilarious!) plans, but lots of general dumbfuckery, we have (finally!) reached the end; the next payment to IMF is due on Friday and cannot be made unless they don't pay pensions and social security benefits later this month.

There was summit in Berlin last night by the creditors and not Greece. Something may have happened there, and we'll likely know within a day.
  • edited June 2015

Hey, everyone, SpaceX Falcon 9 launch and drone ship landing? Live stream in 20 minutes.

Falcon 9 explodes.

Man, that really sucks. Thankfully, no one died.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Banta said:

An update on Greece. After no progress but lots of inventive ways to make money appear from somewhere--including asking local governments to hand over all their spare cash and paying IMF loans with the IMF deposit--and after no comprehensible (but hilarious!) plans, but lots of general dumbfuckery, we have (finally!) reached the end; the next payment to IMF is due on Friday and cannot be made unless they don't pay pensions and social security benefits later this month.

There was summit in Berlin last night by the creditors and not Greece. Something may have happened there, and we'll likely know within a day.

• Greece has accepted austerity measures. With this they might be able to keep the Euro.
  • Taste in Bob Dylan songs now sits along side Whether or Not Fish Are Tangible Objects on the most bizarre part of the list of things I disagree with Antonin Scalia on.
  • September was a weird month for freedom of speech on social media and I didn't notice until right now.

IL Mayor Costs Taxpayers $250,000 in Twitter Parody Case (linking to The Daily Show because they go more in depth than anyone else on the first page of Google).

Wisconsin Man Wins 35,000 In Settlement For Arrest Over Facebook Comment.
  • My tip for watching a @SpaceX Falcon 9 launch: hit play on Also Sprach Zarathustra at exactly T-1 minute 16 seconds.

• Greg said:
    Unfortunately they are keeping that asshole on the back of the 20, albeit in statue form. :(
  • Greg said:
    Unfortunately they are keeping that asshole on the back of the 20, albeit in statue form. :(
    While true, this may be the first time the federal government did something that is almost exactly what I asked for. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. Lightning doesn't strike twice, but let's not make it any less likely.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:
    While true, this may be the first time the federal government did something that is almost exactly what I asked for. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. Lightning doesn't strike twice, but let's not make it any less likely.
    You asked for this? Okay.

I don't really care that much about the money. The fact that we have people on it is a little silly and obviously polarizing but well what evs. I just reserve the right, by virtue of my heritage and because I am a decent human being, to dislike Andrew Jackson. I also dislike Washington and Jefferson and don't want to have to look at them either so it sticks in my craw a little. Meh, I suppose I will forget about it after a certain point. This isn't set to take place until next decade so I have plenty of time to look at AJ's unstatued murdering face.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

I don't really care that much about the money. The fact that we have people on it is a little silly and obviously polarizing but well what evs. I just reserve the right, by virtue of my heritage and because I am a decent human being, to dislike Andrew Jackson. I also dislike Washington and Jefferson and don't want to have to look at them either so it sticks in my craw a little. Meh, I suppose I will forget about it after a certain point. This isn't set to take place until next decade so I have plenty of time to look at AJ's unstatued murdering face.
    O.o *hands a glass of water*
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

Greg said:

O.o *hands a glass of water*
    Is it weird that after seeing *hands a glass of water* that I got up and drank some water?
  • edited April 2016
    I mostly agree with DoubleGomez on this. I wrote a long piece on it that I'm gonna copypasta here.

I support everything Lew has said he would do thus far. I am in favor of preserving Hamilton's status on the 10 because (if I say so Lin Manuel Miranda might give me tickets to "Hamilton" and) he was the USA's first abolitionist, He did not buy into the myth that was Manifest Destiny, and he pioneered fiscal policy that we still use today. He is just about the only Founding Father who I would put on money.

I am also entirely in support of the removal of Andrew Jackson from currency. I continue to adore Jackson for his belief in the will of the people, his willingness to sacrifice himself for what he believed, and his dedication to ending the oligarchy made up of the likes of Henry Clay, John Quincy Adams, and Nicholas Biddle, I have never believed he was proper currency material. Being the most moral man of the 1810s and 20s is kind of like being the least cocaine addicted Rolling Stone. It is only fair that we relocate his image from its home on our currency

However, the debates around the subject of currency have lead me to a more radical position. If we don't want slave holders who committed brutalities against Indians, what is George Washington doing on the one dollar bill? He owned twice as many slaves as Jackson, and committed as heinous crimes in the French and Indian War as Jackson did in his acquisition of Florida. Jefferson also requires removal from the two dollar bill (though they may have ceased printing those, I don't remember). He owned more slaves than Jackson and Washington put together. Franklin wasn’t quite sure how he felt about slavery, but I’ve been of the mind that he wasn’t significant enough to warrant being the face of the hundred dollar bill.

Though I was expecting a woman involved in pushing modern policy like Eleanor Roosevelt or (perhaps only in my dreams) Edith Wilson, I applaud Lew’s decision to place Tubman on the 20. Not only does it empower women and racial minorities, but it addresses America’s troubled past with slavery in a way that Lincoln and Grant don’t. What strikes me most about the decision, though, is that Tubman would be the first person on currency who worked against the government. All previous figures have had some involvement in shaping policy from the inside. Tubman is significant for running a massive criminal enterprise for decades, but the crime was just so she deserves unfathomable praise. To elevate Tubman as the Treasury plans to is to acknowledge that the government can be wrong and the most moral course of action is to act against it. It is an anti-authoritarian statement that I fully support but never would have expected.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Good and bad news in the pursuit of solar energy.

Good: San Francisco will require solar panels on all new buildings under 10 stories tall. The mandate will take effect on January 1. (Not sure why 10 stories is the max, but okay...)

Bad: SunEdison has declared bankruptcy.