This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• chaosof99 said:
    LOL, the movie was absolute trash for anyone with half a brain.
    Now we have to deal with fools who pretend like it was too hard to comprehend for anyone who says the movie was bad.

Vocal minority trying to justify why their most beloved franchises was turned to shit and they don't want to admit it.
    Anyone who reads the comics will tell you that movie is shit just as much as the average viewer who isn't impressed by Zack Snyder directed adverts.
  • sK0pe said:

Vocal minority trying to justify why their most beloved franchises was turned to shit and they don't want to admit it.
    Anyone who reads the comics will tell you that movie is shit just as much as the average viewer who isn't impressed by Zack Snyder directed adverts.

I thought that Scott Kurtz did a pretty good job with his writeup. He is a big time Superman fan and originally said he wasn't going to watch the movie to not feed the hate machine. But he did see it and provided a good digest of the situation:

http://pvponline.com/news/batman-v-superman
  • Went to see Civil War today. I really liked it. It's a step below Winter Soldier but still one of the better Marvel movies to date. I really liked how they handled the whole dynamic between the characters and balanced their screen time.

I also very much like how they captured Spider-man and the dichotomy between his awkward teenager vs. trash-talking superhero, though I think they could have handled his introduction and Tony's recruitment of him a lot better and except for his scene he doesn't factor into the story at all really, which is a bit weird for such a big-name character who even gets a special mention at the end of the credits. I think Spider-man could have been cut from the film entirely and it wouldn't have suffered from it, though I guess his inclusion makes the film more marketable and its a nice piece of fanservice.

Besides that the only real problem I have is that the villain of the movie, Helmut Zemo, acts on information that he doesn't really appear to be privy to (a problem he shares with Tony when Tony is recruiting Spider-man). It is a little bit handwaved by him having been in military intelligence but still isn't really acceptable by the audience I believe.

Perhaps however such a low profile nominal villain is to highlight that the real conflict of the film stems from Iron Man and Captain America doing either the right thing for the wrong reasons or the wrong thing for the right reasons (I leave it up to you to decide which is which).

Anyhow, I liked the film and it does a pretty good impersonation of the Civil War storyline of the comics. Of course there are fewer subplots and characters involved, and it has some good nods to the original. Overall an entertaining piece and a good entry. At the very least, I think it is a much better Avengers film than Age of Ultron.
  • Extremely excited about the Civil War movie, Frida can't come soon enough :smiley:
  • edited May 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Captain America Civil War is a great movie.

It's only hold back is that in order to understand it you better have watched:
    Ironman
    Captain America- The First Avenger
    The Avengers
    Ironman 3
    Captain America - The Winter Soldier
    The Avengers - Age of Ultron &
    Ant-Man

Unless you spent the time to check them out, or you were involved since the beginning, the average movie viewer will be very lost.

If you have watched all of those movies, go ahead and have a blast. It will be worth it.

Also, Team Captain America all the way!

• So I need to watch Ant man
  • Not necessary, but Ant-Man is in the film and some understanding of who he is will only come from that film. This movie does not explain him or the jokes/references to his movie.
  • Also, Ant-Man is a very enjoyable movie, some might say that Ant-Man was one of the best things on "Civil War"
  • Wow, Civil War. Held the Avengers together way better than Age of Ultron, I think Marvel learned the lesson from Ultron. If you do want to introduce new things, don't just attach it for no reason. (Cough Thor's scenes) Pretty much made Batman v Superman look like Amateur hour (and I'm not a hater of that film).
  • Civil War is pretty incredible and curb-stomps BvS to the ground in terms of balancing so many things at once. Emotional and tense, but still understanding and lighthearted. The motivates make sense, the character interactions are super strong, and both sides make compelling points on the argument. Was over 2 1/2 hours long and gripped me every step of the way, using all the superheroes in full effect.

May now be the best Marvel movie and I do not say that lightly.
  • Yea, Civil War is the contender to my top Marvel Movie. I need to view it one or 10 more times to make that decision :-p
  • edited May 2016
    I don't think First Avenger is a prerequisite for seeing Civil War (which is odd for a film billed as part of the same series). Pretty much all the relevant information is already contained in Winter Soldier. I still like First Avenger more than most people it seems and it is a film that is worth to be watched on its own quite easily. It was the best Marvel film up to Avengers and still ranks #5 in my book.

I also don't think Ant-Man is also strictly necessary. Basically everything that needs to be known from it for the purposes of Civil War can be summed up in two sentences: Scott Lang is a former thief who now wears a special suit that lets him change size and amplifies his strength when shrunk. In his film he had a brief fight with Falcon.

Ant-Man is still a fun movie but nothing that must be seen, even for the purpose of this appearance of the character. It's one of the weaker Marvel movies but still okay to watch. Some of the humor is a bit cringey though. I think it does succeed in being a good, lighthearted palette cleanser in between AoU and Civil War, the breather episode of the MCU if you will.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Captain America - The First Avenger introduced Steve Rogers as a character that no matter how much power he receives his believe of always fighting for what he thinks is right is indomitable. The First Avenger, also introduces Peggy Carter, who is a big deal for Steve Rogers. The Civil War experience is way more richer if you watched Captain America - The First Avenger.

Let's remember that Ant-Man is not afraid to break the law in order to do what he thinks is right, which explains perfectly why he is on Captain America's team. Ant-Man gives a back story of Scott Lang as a character and not just as Ant-Man.

And, this is why I think most Marvel movies succeed as being more than Super Hero movies. We care for the characters more that the Super Hero persona. We like or dislike Tony Stark but he is Iron Man, we accept why Steve Rogers will always is perfect for the mantle of Captain America. The human characters are more than their Super Hero.

This is the reason why Batman V Superman failed. Neither that Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent were able to reach what the public were hoping for their Batman or their Superman.
  • I went to see the movie today. But I misjudged my bladder and needed to go to the toilet really badly in the middle. I popped out just after Stark recruited Peter Parker. I came back as the Berlin airport (later I discovered it was Leipzig) was reportedly being evacuated. So even after not seeing Ant-man yet, I then missed his introduction in the movie itself. I'm not sure if I missed anything important, but I enjoyed what he got up to in the ensuing battle.

It's a good job I saw most of the other dependency movies though! Mind you, ive still not seen Iron Man 2, so what Don Cheadle is doing in an iron suit is still a bit fuzzy.
  • I went to see the movie today. But I misjudged my bladder and needed to go to the toilet really badly in the middle. I popped out just after Stark recruited Peter Parker. I came back as the Berlin airport (later I discovered it was Leipzig) was reportedly being evacuated. So even after not seeing Ant-man yet, I then missed his introduction in the movie itself. I'm not sure if I missed anything important, but I enjoyed what he got up to in the ensuing battle.

This app is your friend. It tells you what you miss when nature calls at the theater.
  • I went to see the movie today. But I misjudged my bladder and needed to go to the toilet really badly in the middle.

This is basically the reason why I don't get drinks with me when I go watch a movie in a theater.
  • edited May 2016
    I do take drinks into the theater. I just go and take a piss immediately before I sit down in the theater.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I usually take a piss before I go into the theater, but I was a bit late so went right in. My mistake! I missed most of the commercials, but saw waaaay too many trailers. Including:

Star Wars
    Star Trek
    Doctor Strange
    X-Men
    World of Warcraft
    Independence Day
    Suicide Squad
    Angry Birds

It was all a bit overwhelming. I decided I'll skip Warcraft, X-Men, Suicide Squad, Star Trek and Angry Birds. I already knew I wanted to see Independence Day so closed my eyes in that one so as not to get it all spoiled. I'd seen the Star Wars trailer already, so that one was fine. But I didn't know about Doctor Strange, and that trailer pushes all of my buttons. Marvel just seems to know what I want, and magicy Inception type stuff? Yup!
  • I found out that Regal Movies run 20 minutes of trailers before the actual movie. I know this because I forgot my phone (which had my ticket on it) and had to go back to get it.

When I got to my seat I found out they were running the Rogue One trailer. So I had time for Drinks and Snacks.
  • Erwin said:

This is the reason why Batman V Superman failed. Neither that Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent were able to reach what the public were hoping for their Batman or their Superman.

It also doesn't help the BvS writing/directing team seem to actively hate Superman and only understand heroes that are dark and gritty.

• Raithnor said:

Erwin said:

It also doesn't help the BvS writing/directing team seem to actively hate Superman and only understand heroes that are dark and gritty.

For sure, right now one can even say that Captain America is the Superman that we deserve. I mean Caps world is gone, he has trouble adjusting, but at the same time he tries to make the best of it, and always do the right thing.

So, if you were to have super powers, would you have signed the accord?
  • If I had super powers, I wouldn't be a super hero. Nobody would know where to find me to make me sign anything.
  • I mean if I was part of a "Super" team, I'd probably sign it because your already out in the public, but if you were someone like Spider-man in the cinematic universe there is no point.
  • edited May 2016
    If I was super, I doubt I would be a hero. I think my brand of heroism would be considered villany to many.

No, I would not sign the accord.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Kate would be a villain :-p