This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• I've been playing DDR every day and pretending it's exercise. Does that count?

How many feet?
    8-9 feet, 4-5 sets.
  • Starfox said:

Awesome. Coalition for exercise claims another victory.

Some day we'll get Scott to do a pushup.

I cleaned my windows today and had to rest between each window because my arm hurt. Push-up isn't happening.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

I cleaned my windows today and had to rest between each window because my arm hurt. Push-up isn't happening.

Seriously? Either you have really big windows or you need to exercise those arms, friend.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Seriously? Either you have really big windows or you need to exercise those arms, friend.
    Why do I need to?
  • Moving and whatnot has thrown my diet and exercise discipline into disarray for the past month. So I've been plateaued. Still 25 pounds down from January.

CICO, an app to track my macros, and exercise have been the ingredients. Now that I have a weight bench, I'll get back to a proper lifting routine too!
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Starfox said:

...Seriously? Either you have really big windows or you need to exercise those arms, friend.
    Why do I need to?
    Starfox said:

pushup.

• edited June 2016
    Andrew said:

Fixed.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Smashed out 5k this afternoon, the running and pace where ok but god dam this humidity! Its just the worst feeling, like a thick blanket over your head. Have 3 more months of this.
  • I tried to get into running a month ago, but I hated it and stopped after not long. I don't actually like going to the gym, but I like using the elliptical waaaay more than running.
  • I hate ellipticals. They're boring, they're not analogous to any real world activity, and I don't feel like I got any exercise when I use them =(

But, I hate treadmills just as much. I'll run outside in the winter before I'll run on a treadmill if I can.
  • So I signed up for a gym, maybe 6 months ago, doing Brazilian Jiu jutsu. One of the problems living in Connecticut, is there's really nowhere to bike to, anything worth going to or seeing is really car distance away. Biking used to be my main form of getting out and getting the heart rate elevated, but I just can't stick with it. I force myself to for a few weeks and then it just trails off.

The guys there are a bit macho, and all love to talk about how ready they are for a real fight. I'd run away at the first sign of a physical confrontation in real life. I seem to be the only one there because it's a ton of fun. I'm not looking to improve as a fighter, I'm looking to stay 6'0 and 145' for the rest of my life. End of goals. Hitting people is just a really fun way of doing that.
  • edited June 2016
    Rym said:

I hate ellipticals. They're boring, they're not analogous to any real world activity, and I don't feel like I got any exercise when I use them =(

But, I hate treadmills just as much. I'll run outside in the winter before I'll run on a treadmill if I can.

If people like indoor cardio workouts, I higly recommend dancing. If you're in not-so-hot shape, maybe start learning social dancing (ballroom, line, Latin, swing); for people in moderate shape: jazz, modern, beginners ballet, and tap; and for those looking for a more intense workout: intermediate ballet, Irish step dance, African dance, and hip-hop.

Any form of dance is a great winter workout as it is a recommended treatment for seasonal affective disorder.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Treadmill + TV the only time I get to watch Anime ^_^
  • I do play DDR almost every day in the winter. While it's not real dancing, it's varied and engaging cardio.
  • Rym said:

I do play DDR almost every day in the winter. While it's not real dancing, it's varied and engaging cardio.

You should totally try Irish step dance. It really is an amazing workout and your calves, thighs, and buns will be INSANE!
  • edited June 2016

So I went to the gym for the first time since signing up. It's right next door to the CVS which is good since, due to my mom's health (she's fine, relax) I'm there a lot getting scrips filled. From now on, I'll just tell that that I'd like to pick them up in a half hour and pop over to the gym.

Treadmill while listening to NPR One.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I might've mentioned it on the forum before, but I've found that doing classes has been a lot more effective for me than just doing a gym. It's not as intense or focused as I could do on my own, but I actually do it, which I couldn't say when having a normal gym membership. Plus the equipment where I go now is in much better condition.

And just as general information, remember that what you eat and how you sleep are actually more important than the exercise when it comes to weight loss. I know it because I still struggle with those areas, and my weight fluctuations are directly tied to eating and sleeping like crap as my workouts are pretty consistent.
  • But that exercising is pretty directly correlated to overall health, if not weight loss.
  • what you eat and how you sleep are actually more important than the exercise when it comes to weight loss.

Let's see a sauce on that, because

I know it because I still struggle with those areas, and my weight fluctuations are directly tied to eating and sleeping like crap as my workouts are pretty consistent.

isn't evidence.
  • Calories in < calories out = lost weight

It's easier to not eat 250kCal than it is to burn 250kCal. Exercise is important, but it's far easier to lose weight via diet control than exercise.
  • Andrew said:

It's easier to not eat 250kCal than it is to burn 250kCal

Your sauces, give them to me.
  • Starfox said:

Andrew said:

It's easier to not eat 250kCal than it is to burn 250kCal

Your sauces, give them to me.
  • Sleep's actually important because sleeping well impacts your appetite and metabolism significantly.
  • Andrew said:
    Wasn't trying to be. It's not a priori obvious to me that eating less >> exercising more for losing weight. NYT article lists some sources though.
  • edited June 2016
    Starfox said:

Andrew said:
    Wasn't trying to be. It's not a priori obvious to me that eating less >> exercising more for losing weight. NYT article lists some sources though.
    It is a priori obvious in the same way it's a priori obvious the earth is round.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Starfox said:

Andrew said:
    It is a priori obvious in the same way it's a priori obvious the earth is round.
    To you, maybe. But that's like me saying that 4WD is better for rallying: Is it true? Sure, but that doesn't make it obvious for people who haven't really looked into it.

But you are being kinda doof, Starfox.
  • In my experience it's the opposite, is all. But I'm an atypical case, and my anecdote doesn't make data.
  • Andrew said:
    Dr.Carrol is an excellent physician and unlike most physicians, he is internet. He has a youtube channel with loads of great stuff, from how to tell if the methodology used in the paper you're quoting is actually rigorous and indicative of the paper's conclusions, to comparative analysis between the healthcare systems of countries like the US, Canada, the UK, Singapore, and France, to debunking common health myths with data. I cannot recommend it enough. Seeing that NYT article was authored by him led me on a reading spree as I didn't know he wrote for the NYT. I appreciate the link and I hope you will look at his youtube material as it's of high production value and quality content.
  • edited June 2016
    Andrew said:

Calories in < calories out = lost weight
    It's easier to not eat 250kCal than it is to burn 250kCal. Exercise is important, but it's far easier to lose weight via diet control than exercise.

At the beginning of many diets, doctors specifically advise that a person not exercise or reduce exercise for a given period of time as the body adjusts the lower caloric intake. Part of our collective problem is less that our work is sedentary (though that is an issue), and more that our days and diets are structured such that we have long periods without eating followed by caloricly dense, large meals. Stopping to eat protein and nutrient rich low-carb/low-calorie meals/snacks every 2-3 hours with one larger protien and low-carb side meal will satiate hunger throughout the day and assist the extremely sedentary person with weight loss. Exercise is beneficial for other reasons, but not all that necessary for taking off pounds.

I used Medifast in the past and lost over 30 pounds in slightly less than 6 months. I kept it off for almost 3 years, but other health and mental health problems undermined my diet and weight maintenance. Now, I use the Medifast model, but reconfigured it for a vegan diet that includes less expensive (and tastier) shakes (VegaOne vanilla and Raw Protein chocolate - all the vegan powders on the market tout a bunch of pseudoscience claims and mostly meaningless "organic" labels - just ignore that and look at the nutrition information, ingredients, and potential allergens) and fresh foods (rather than expensive, re-hydrated nonsense). I also allow myself one cheat day a week, something I didn't do before. It may slow my weight loss, but I just can't avoid all fruit, alcohol, and chocolate every day for 6 months again - it was painful.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on