This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

1252627282931»

Comments

• Been reading Transmetropolitan, and man it feels more relevant today than when it was written.
  • Been reading Transmetropolitan, and man it feels more relevant today than when it was written.

Is Trump the Beast or the Smiler?

Is Trump the Beast or the Smiler?
    Well he looks more like the Beast but being that the Beast was the status quo, he'd have to be the Smiler. The hatred fits, and the Smiler just wanted power and would say whatever he felt like to get it, while the Beast at least had beliefs on how to run the country, as bad as they sounded. I guess Hillary would be the Beast? It's not a perfect analogy.

That series was / is so good, I have to dig it up.
  • Apreche said:
    Man, this is awesome! But, why didn't it came out before the anime on crunchyroll?
    Also, debating whether to get it digital or getting the hard copy.
  • By the way guys, I just started reading Darwyn Cooke's "New Frontier"
    It is all kinds of awesome.
    Just check this out
    The best thing about it is that, you really don't need to know anything about DC history to read it.
  • Erwin said:

By the way guys, I just started reading Darwyn Cooke's "New Frontier"
    Just check this out
    The best thing about it is that, you really don't need to know anything about DC history to read it.

I absolutely loved New Frontier except for the Hal Jordan pilot stuff. That was just stupid.
  • Erwin said:

Just check this out

I absolutely loved New Frontier except for the Hal Jordan pilot stuff. That was just stupid.
    I loved it, that is exactly how Hal Jordan should be as a character. The current iteration is just trash.

RIP Darwyn Cooke

Also read the Parker books by Darwyn Cooke if you like his story telling style (which is second in my mind to only Eisner).
  • sK0pe said:

Erwin said:

Just check this out

I loved it, that is exactly how Hal Jordan should be as a character. The current iteration is just trash.

RIP Darwyn Cooke

Also read the Parker books by Darwyn Cooke if you like his story telling style (which is second in my mind to only Eisner).
    Totally agree with you on the Parker books, they're amazing.

I know next to nothing about Hal Jordan, but any pilot in a war that deliberately aims to damage enemy plans but not kill anyone would never be allowed to fly again. He would be a liability to himself and everyone else up in the skies.

I know most superheroes have a "no killing" policy, but when you're in a war, and especially when you're a fighter pilot, that's just stupid.
  • sK0pe said:

Erwin said:

Just check this out

RIP Darwyn Cooke

Totally agree with you on the Parker books, they're amazing.

I know next to nothing about Hal Jordan, but any pilot in a war that deliberately aims to damage enemy plans but not kill anyone would never be allowed to fly again. He would be a liability to himself and everyone else up in the skies.

I know most superheroes have a "no killing" policy, but when you're in a war, and especially when you're a fighter pilot, that's just stupid.
    The whole New Frontier was writing the heroes like they were Silver age comic book heroes (who would never kill anyone). The reason for the oddity is to match the theme / style of old heroes done cartooned in a modern manner.

If you wanted to see killing in the Silver age you would buy war books.
  • Linda Medley of Castle Waiting is apparently in need of moneys.

https://www.gofundme.com/lindamedley?rcid=5aefc674479b11e695bcbc764e065bc4

I decided to be at the $10 level for Patreon instead. https://www.patreon.com/lindamedley?ty=a

Too bad she's not doing a Kickstarter for Castle Waiting 3. I would rather have that, but hopefully she'll pull through her current predicament. I love me some Castle Waiting.
  • I started reading Gundam: The Origin awhile back; after getting a coworker on to the series I started to pick up the pace and I shotgunned Vol. 4-13 in the past month.

Thoughts:
    Wow, that series is super great up until the end, which was terrible. Oddly enough, the terrible ending didn't ruin the series for me.

Amuro never entirely graduates from being annoying, rather just fluctuating through various levels of the spectrum.

I now understand why people really enjoy Char, although I think my favorite scene with Char is when he is trying to convince Amuro to join him and Lalah along with the other newtypes. He has this grand speech and then Amuro turns around and tells Char that has no idea what he's talking about; Char is just some guy.

Also, Sayla is a really fun character, especially in the last few chapters when she gives Kycillia a heart attack by leading an uprising on A Baoa Qu.

bottom line is I really enjoyed Gundam: The Origin. My question is if I go and watch the old sequel series, is there any chance that they will hold up to the quality of this manga?

• What's wrong with the ending of Gundam?

If you want to watch some Gundam anime try

Char's Counter-attack
    Zeta Gundam
    Gundam SEED
    08th MS Team
    War in the Pocket
  • Apreche said:

What's wrong with the ending of Gundam?

Char's Counter-attack
    Zeta Gundam
    Gundam SEED
    08th MS Team
    War in the Pocket

And, if you want some awesome Kung Fu Fights fueled by the Power of Love just go ahead and watch G Gundam.

Very little politics, with awesome plot twists Imagawa style.
  • Erwin said:

Apreche said:

What's wrong with the ending of Gundam?

Char's Counter-attack
    Zeta Gundam
    Gundam SEED
    08th MS Team
    War in the Pocket

And, if you want some awesome Kung Fu Fights fueled by the Power of Love just go ahead and watch G Gundam.

Very little politics, with awesome plot twists Imagawa style.
    No. Do not watch G Gundam.
  • edited July 2016
    Apreche said:

No. Do not watch G Gundam.

G Gundam is a super fun show. It's not really Gundam, but it is a good show. Really, the least Gundam-y Gundam shows (e.g. War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team) tend to be the best ones.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited July 2016
    Erwin is correct, G Gundam is amazing and I will not hear otherwise. That said, G Gundam is not a Gundam show. G Gundam is a tournament arc from a Shounen Fighting Show stretched into an entire show featuring an Angry Windmill robot. EDIT: beaten to the punch
    I said:

As for the ending to Gundam: The Origin, the ending scenes are a bit uneven. The scene where char shoots Kycilia in the head is really fun. It's a great bookend to the bloodbath that was the House of Zabi and it has some great parallels with Kycilia's scene with Gihren and Char's own rise to prominence amongst Zeon with the scene from the battle of Loum. The scene with the Dolos is a but much, but since Gundam owes a great deal of it's DNA with star wars, complaining about giant spaceships exploding for no reason seems a bit hypercritical.

Amuro's scene, on the other hand, is pretty butt. After he and Sayla get separated from each other in the caverns, he winds up back at the Gundam. At this point, the magical space ghost of Lalah comes to him and suddenly hooks everyone up to each other like a psychic cell tower. After Lalah's ghost hooks him up with/to whatever she does, Amuro is able to find out where everyone is and guide himself and Sayla out of the crumbling space station.

The problem with the whole scene is that it doesn't really resolve anything. It raises the stakes in a manner that isn't really interesting and then it throws in psychic ghosts as an ass pull to resolve the situation. If that entire scene been buried in the middle of the first half of the last book it wouldn't really affect the flow of the finale, but the problem is that you're ending your series on a scene that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I understand the point he was trying to hammer home. The idea that newtypes are the gate to humanity's peaceful future by perfectly communicating perfectly with each other is interesting, if flawed. However, this doesn't reinforce that idea; this reinforces the idea that newtypes get Google Maps in their head once they hit lvl 15.

TL;DR Amuro's entire scene at the end is at best pointless and is a really underwhelming note to end the series on.

EDIT: Didn't want to leave a Wall of Text lying around and I don't know any better CSS; full text in the doobly doo
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • He's back, he's drillin' and he's killin'.
    But beyond that the space epic continues, only a few chapters into this trade and just when I thought things were going to slow down again BAM, I get Jeff Lemire space opera.
  • Don't ever change DRILLER
  • Transformers, GI Joe, M.A.S.K, Rom, Micronauts welcome to the Hasbro Dome.

https://m.comixology.com/Revolution-00-Prelude/digital-comic/426024
  • I read the first volume of Paper Girls. It's really good.
  • I've been catching up on what Mark Millar has been writing.
    He's written some truly great stuff recently on hero deconstruction.
    Huck
    Jupiter's Legacy
    Jupiter's Circle
  • If you are into underwear super heroes comics, I would recommend the current Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, and Hal Jordan series.
  • Amazing reads that I've been going through recently -
    Paper Girls
    By Brian K Vaughan and Cliff Chiang.
    Some people have tried to describe this story in a reductive manner as "Stranger Things but with girls". However no, this thing is it's very own insane story, starting off in the 80s and I can't spoil the rest. Ok I'll give a bit away in that it is a time travel story but more importantly the story of friendship between the 4 main characters is the most important. Each character is very well detailed, they all look different they come from different backgrounds and there is a bunch of crazy Brian K Vaughan science fiction stuff going on at the same time that you piece together with each issue.
    The artwork is great, Chiang captures the feeling of the time, facial expressions and cartooning is top notch, every 3 or 4th panel ends up being one of my desktop wallpapers.

Southern Bastards
    By Jason Aaron and Jason Latour
    A story set in Alabama, that addresses many themes in the south but is centred upon a differing primary theme with each book. Both creators have also been raised in the south and moved away in their adulthood. there is a feeling of legitmacy and intimacy about the characters and environment that I haven't seen before. The book seems to highlight the worst and the best of the south with an emotionally driven story which really makes it difficult to hate the "bad guys" or the "good guys". As with Jason Aaron's previous best wrok Scalped everyone has flaws.

The Vision
    By Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta
    The Vision builds himself an android family and moves to the suburbs of Washington while still being an Avenger. A completely non trivial take on synthetic life that is used to comment on societal prejudice, topics of family and most of all marriage or relationships of trust. A must read if you are at all interested by AI and a commentary on current suburban society.
  • edited December 2016
    All three of those comics are among this years best works. (not sure if Southern Bastards is this year though) but at least ton reads for me this year.

Vision has almost an early Tim Burton feel to it with the fun narrator.
    Post edited by Cremlian on