This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• What's with the hair? Looks like you're trying to grow into a pompadour.
  • Cremlian said:

you look the same, except more shaving :-p Need something that shows your tummy off :-p Though I do notice less cheeks.

I'm not about to show of my nekkid body. At least on this website ~_^
  • Andrew said:

Cremlian said:

you look the same, except more shaving :-p Need something that shows your tummy off :-p Though I do notice less cheeks.

I'm not about to show of my nekkid body. At least on this website ~_^
    Darn it!
  • Cremlian said:

Darn it!

This conversation is getting weird.

Continue.

• RymRym
    edited June 2016
    No longer will I bother wearing a shirt on my bike commute.

Also, despite my early-season lamentations of age, I set four personal time records in the last couple weeks on my commute. I'm still getting faster despite being in my mid 30s. Among Stava users overall in the places I bike, I'm in the top 300 of fastest bikers ever. I'm usually #1 or #2 on any given segment on any given day: my average bike commute is faster than most people trying to be fast.

The moral is if you bike almost every day, you'll be in crazy good shape by default.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

The moral is if you bike almost every day, you'll be in crazy good shape by default.

I'm getting back into that as soon as I take my bike to a shop for a checkup (it's been almost two years since I've ridden it).

• ..no you eat shit!
  • -25lbs (before my vacation last week)

170lb was my goal...so I need a new goal. Not sure if I have a weight objective, but I'm going to try to lose as much belly fat as possible.
  • Andrew said:

-25lbs (before my vacation last week)

170lb was my goal...so I need a new goal. Not sure if I have a weight objective, but I'm going to try to lose as much belly fat as possible.

Congrats dude, cardio helps lots with that. Also, if you can built some muscle, it will help with some fat burning. But remember, muscle is heavier than fat.
  • Erwin said:

Andrew said:

Congrats dude, cardio helps lots with that. Also, if you can built some muscle, it will help with some fat burning. But remember, muscle is heavier than fat.
    That's right. Don't exercise and you too can weigh 150 like me.
  • Bench press 1.5x your body weight or pull ups equal to your age.
  • I'm betting I could do 26 pull ups. I'm not convinced I could bench 217.5 lbs
  • I take umbrage with benching 1.5x your body weight. Off the top of my head I can think of 10 NFL athletes who couldn't do that and I know for damn skippy I couldn't.

Umbrage, says I.
  • 0 pull ups. The last time I bench pressed was in high school. I don't think I got over like 60 or 70?
  • I suspect getting to the point of being able to do one pull-up would be better for your long-term health than abstention from alcohol.
  • Rym said:

I suspect getting to the point of being able to do one pull-up would be better for your long-term health than abstention from alcohol.

Yeah, I heard there's a strong correlation between strength of arm muscles and longevity. LOL.
  • I'm talking general athleticism. You get to the point of being able to do a pullup/pushup by being generally active and athletic.
  • Andrew said:

Congrats. I too don't really have a weight goal so much as a "belly fat isn't healthy, I should probably lose this" goal. Also fitting into 32 waist pants again would be nice. I used to wear 30 in high school, but really needed a 29 (which was impossible to find.)
  • edited August 2016
    Rym said:

I'm talking general athleticism. You get to the point of being able to do a pullup/pushup by being generally active and athletic.

Among the oldest people in history, none of them were particularly athletic. They were just lucky with DNA. Also, a significant number of them attributed their longevity to their weird diets, none of which really had much in common with each other. None of them are probably worth copying, especially not cigar smoking guy.

You look around at the oldest people alive today, and you would expect to see nothing but people who were professional athletes and Olympians, but that's not the case. The people who are 90+ now aren't the people who have, or once had, buff arms.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2016
    I'd say you'd have better odds taking a gamble on some general fitness, rather than "Well, maybe I have lucky DNA? Here's to hoping!"

Not to mention, quality of life is something to consider. You want to be cool old guy who can do stuff, or shitty sack of useless flesh and weak bones old guy who needs someone to help him dress of a morning? I mean, pick what you like, but I know what I'm picking. And when we're all in our dotage, if you need someone to fabricate you up a cool gundam looking walker, I'm your guy, guy. I'll even doll up the tennis balls on the legs for you.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Arm strength is not a necessary component of general health and fitness. The health of the bits inside your head and torso are what matters, not the meats on your appendages.

Well, at least as long as we can avoid a Fist of the North Star scenario. In which case, arm strength will matter more than anything.
  • Your call, man. Remember though, sorting you out with a real cool walker, open offer.
  • Churba said:

Your call, man. Remember though, sorting you out with a real cool walker, open offer.

Hopefully by the time I need a walker, they'll be obsolete, and I can just get a full robot body.
  • Apreche said:

full robot body.

This is my dream.
  • As soon as robot legs are a thing, I'm getting rid of my awful cerebral palsy legs.
  • Andrew said:

So then, new goal: obtain 6-pack.

• Andrew said:

So then, new goal: obtain 6-pack.

Pretty much!
  • I'm no expert, but I've heard the secret is sit-ups, lots and lots of sit-ups. 100 a day, right next to your squats and pushups.
  • High impact anything, so your bones aren't fragile when you're old and fall over.