This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Pizza

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about pizza in all its forms. You guys love the food episodes, so here you go. 100 years Rym and Scott and pizza. But before that, Luke Crane's Inheritance is on Kickstarter (and funded before we finished the show) and South Park is back!

Support GeekNights on Patreon! Read our book club book! Or our politics club book!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Pac-Man is best pizza.
  • for every animated show ever on streaming usually on HD check out kisscartoon.me and for anime use http://kissanime.to/
  • Chicago deep dish is certainly pizza. It's just made in a different proportion. It's the same components and same topology, just by virtue of its ratios it has a new personality.

A calzone has a different topology. And pizza bagels are on a bagel, fuck that.
  • SWATrous said:

And pizza bagels are on a bagel, fuck that.

I've never seen a pizza bagel with an actual bagel.
  • I have in New York. It was fucking delicious.
  • SWATrous said:

Wait, so like, how else is it supposed to happen?

I have only ever seen pizza bagels on an actual bagel.

• SWATrous said:

Wait, so like, how else is it supposed to happen?

I have only ever seen pizza bagels on an actual bagel.

Those breads with holes in the middle that had sauce and cheese on top were not bagels, just like those things they call pizzas in Chicago are not pizzas.
  • Apreche said:

Those breads with holes in the middle that had sauce and cheese on top were not bagels

What? Who would do that?

I'ma go back to blasting Transcendence in my earholes.

You guys going to the show tonight at the Playstation Theater? If not, you should. BtBaM and Fallujah? Hell of a ticket.
  • POISON IS IN PIZZA

"_____ without knowing fate" is spoken pretty frequently at home.
  • Every New York pizza I've ever eaten in New York City has had a droopy end. Maybe if that's not normal I'd give more time to people who say New York pizza is the only true pizza.

Scott, the fork being passed between the right and left hand is bullshit American manners. The rest of the world leaves their forks in one hand throughout the entire meal.

The best pizza is thin crust Italian pizza.

Some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten has been Italy. Fuck this country for having such shitty ingredients in their national dishes. It's like they hate tourists and want to not eat here.

(I'm currently in Italy)
  • Every New York pizza I've ever eaten in New York City has had a droopy end. Maybe if that's not normal I'd give more time to people who say New York pizza is the only true pizza.

Scott, the fork being passed between the right and left hand is bullshit American manners. The rest of the world leaves their forks in one hand throughout the entire meal.

Some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten has been Italy. Fuck this country for having such shitty ingredients in their national dishes. It's like they hate tourists and want to not eat here.

(I'm currently in Italy)

If it droops, it's a cheapo place. Good NY pizza has a stiff enough crust to hold up. It also doesn't release so much grease that the crust becomes soggy and weak. Lastly, it doesn't load up so many ingredients that it can't hold them all.

Just because a pizza is made in NYC, doesn't mean it's good NYC pizza. There are thousands of pizzerias here. Most are just cheapo places that get the job done with no notable level of quality or significance.
  • I have been digging the neapolitan style pizzas lately. Try Paulie Gee's in greenpoint next time you're in nyc. Order the Hellboy.
  • You guys forgot to talk about pizza rolls. Was that ever a thing you ate in your youth or college days? What if you were at a party and the host serves pizza rolls as an appetizer? Would you eat one?
  • You guys forgot to talk about pizza rolls. Was that ever a thing you ate in your youth or college days? What if you were at a party and the host serves pizza rolls as an appetizer? Would you eat one?

We only ate garbage like bulk frozen pizza rolls, pizza bites, taquitos, pierogies, etc. when we were poorer and college-ier. These days, the only bulk frozen party snack food I will eat is a pig in a blanket.
  • Pizza rolls (frozen) have the same problem as the Red Baron Four Cheese Pizza.

But that aside, I'll eat them. They're garbage food for garbage people, but they're above the line of "will eat" if I'm at a party and they're there.

They were a staple for me in high school, when I would eat basically any food.

(I'm currently in Italy)

Just got back from Italy. I had delicious pizza. It was made my zia Mima (my aunt).

Why are you ordering pizza in Italy? You can get pizza anywhere. Go out and get yourself un arancino con prosciutto or arancino nero. It's delicious and I kinda struggle to find good ones even in New York. (possible exception of Rosa's Pizza in queens on palmetto st, but even theirs are like the size of 3 normal ones and too much to enjoy in one sitting.)

Also try and have fresh panelle. The panelle I can get stateside is old and soggy, but in Italy you can get it made to order and it is orders of magnitude better.
  • If you think I haven't eaten all kinds of pizza in Italy you are mistaken. I've eaten some okay/good pizza in Italy. I'm just saying that some of the worst pizza I've ever eaten has been in Italy.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2016
    One thing I've noticed in my travels is that the ingredients used in the restaurants I tend to frequent in New York are very good. As in, they're often much higher quality than what I get in other cities or overseas.

So, while I've had great food in various countries, the New York equivalent of that food is usually just as good or, due to the ingredients, actually better.

Part of that is that I know the best places in New York, while I'm basically guessing overseas. Another part is that the price point in New York is high, so I'm often not comparing apples to apples.

The worst is traveling around the US. It's become pretty clear that the New York version of most things (looking at you, BBQ) is just as good as heading to the sacred cities for said foods.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • All my local friends think I'm like the pickiest eater ever. But not in the sense that they are foods I won't eat (I'll try anything), but that I'd rather eat quality over quantity. And one of the big ones where I live is sushi. At best the local sushi is like mediocre. I'll get this one guy who will be like "X place has all you can eat sushi for $10.95! It's so good." And I'm like 'No, no place with $10.95 all you can eat sushi has good sushi."
  • "All you can eat" is where I immediately get skeptical.
  • I still don't know where to get a freaking Italian hoagie in NYC. I'm certain it exists, but I haven't found it.
  • pence said:

I still don't know where to get a freaking Italian hoagie in NYC. I'm certain it exists, but I haven't found it.

A proper sub is rare in New York.
  • Rym said:

pence said:

I still don't know where to get a freaking Italian hoagie in NYC. I'm certain it exists, but I haven't found it.

A proper sub is rare in New York.
    Come to Astoria, we can go eat THE BEAST

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sal-kris-and-charlies-deli-astoria
  • Pure uncut mozzarella.
  • My ideal pizza toppings: Meatballs, red bell pepper, garlic (fresh, don't use that powdery shit), onions. That's good enough for me.
  • pence said:

Milano Market on 113th and Broadway, holy shit they make good subs.
  • There's a pizza place in our equivalent of little Italy (complete with mafia) that has an incredible deep dish pizza. It's basically a flaky pie made with fresh mozzarella, homemade sauce, and spinach. So good.