This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Deep Sea Adventure: Pressing One's Luck

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider some press your luck mechanics with the wonderful Deep Sea Adventure. It's a shared space treasure-hunting drowning simulator. In other news, Rym keeps playing Overwatch daily, Scott hates all that is good in the world, and the gold rush of pro sports buying esports teams begins.

Support GeekNights on Patreon! Or don't! But Rym will read Castlevania II to you if you do!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Oh hey, this is how we spent the debate.

• I recognized both Team Dignitas (from Heroes of the Storm) and Team Liquid (Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and i think they are involved in a few other esports), dunno about the others. Also, I think it is undisputed that as far as prize pools for esports competitions go nothing touches Valve and their use of the compendium to fund the DotA 2 International prize pool (I think the last one was over 10 million USD).
  • At this point Scott is just old man personified. There is no Scott, just Old Man.
  • Dignitas and Liquid both have CS:GO teams. Team Liquid is from America, they were a quad-kill jump AWP (!) round away from winning a recent major. They did beat fnatic though, which has been in and out of the #1 spot in recent tournaments.
  • You have one team competing in a bunch of different games, but they have different players for each team right? I want to see the same people have to play every game. I mean, it's kind of silly. You don't see people who aren't fucking Bo Jackson doing well at multiple sports. But then again you don't have New York Baseball Mets, New York Hockey Mets, New York Football Mets all being owned by the same organization with the same name.
  • Yeah, Liquid CSGO is different players from Liquid LOL or whatever. I know at least some guys play other games as well, but (presumably) not at a pro level. The NiP CSGO guys are decent at DOTA from what I understand.
  • For what it's worth, if baseball, football and, hockey had a combined worth equal to that of esports as a whole, you very well could/would see baseball/hockey/football Mets all owned by the same organization with the same name
  • Ted Leonsis owns many of the DC teams (Wizards, Caps, Mystics). You are just being old man Scott, go back to your rocking chair.
  • Andrew said:

Ted Leonsis owns many of the DC teams (Wizards, Caps, Mystics). You are just being old man Scott, go back to your rocking chair.

I'm aware, but they are still separate organizations managed separately.

I still want to see some reason to be a fan of one e-sport team over another. Geography would be best, but I'll take anything. Is there at least like, a green team?
  • Naoza said:

if baseball, football and, hockey had a combined worth equal to that of esports as a whole

Um, wat.
  • Apreche said:

I still want to see some reason to be a fan of one e-sport team over another. Geography would be best, but I'll take anything. Is there at least like, a green team?

http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/Acer_Green_Team
  • pence said:

Apreche said:

http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/Acer_Green_Team
    It's Acer, though... I'd rather go with like, Team Newegg. Pretty sure there is one.
  • I know in Overwatch there's one team (NRG) which is really popular because they have one of the most popular OW streamers on their team. At this point liking team members or the team playstyle are the only real arguments for being a fan of any particular team.
  • I'll enjoy any team that breaks the game, completely dominates, or uses clever (cheap) strategies to repeatedly beat "better" players.
  • Start the New York Herms. Play to win the game. You can even be J E T S green.
  • Starfox said:

Start the New York Herms. Play to win the game. You can even be J E T S green.

F U C K that.
  • The winners of TI6 this year pretty much did the "fuck your meta, we will just be better than you with heroes you think suck". No one thought they would even get past the group stage, but they took the cheese.
  • Andrew said:

The winners of TI6 this year pretty much did the "fuck your meta, we will just be better than you with heroes you think suck". No one thought they would even get past the group stage, but they took the cheese.

I gotta respect that. Both the players for being so much better than everyone else, but also the game for having such a high skill cap. In most asymmetric games, even the greatest player of all time will lose if they pick sub-par characters/cards/equipment/loadouts/etc.
  • So much Scott curmudgeon. I almost had to turn that shit off.
  • He hates games.
  • Rym said:

He hates games.

Thag.
  • He's gone the way of the solo gamer.
  • So I was pretty big into competitive starcraft both in the broodwar days in korea and back when it started gaining traction here with the release of WoL.

While you knew what the teams were there was never any reason to root for one over the other, you often just had your favorite players and the teams were just their practice partners, so all the team meant was: hey guy A has a really good x skill. I wonder if that means his teammate guy B is really good at defending against A's x strategy and will beat non team mate C in their upcoming match, as he's known to often use x but not as good as B.

When competitive SC came to the US en masse. The only team I could see rooting for in principal for any reason was one mentioned and that was Team Liquid and the reason for that is there is a site http://www.teamliquid.net/ which was basically the place you went for starcraft news. So it came down to loyalty to the website causing the loyalty to laundry that is sports team fandom.
  • edited September 2016
    Also the Yankees/Pats of competitive SC was Evil Geniuses. Kinda known for having lots of money and buying good players quickly. TL was often the underdog, though they were a pretty solid #2. There were tons of other teams but often times they only had one player on them with any notoriety. TL and EG were the only ones with enough notable players that the team itself became a thing people cared about over and above the players on it.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • edited September 2016
    Naoza said:

you very well could/would see baseball/hockey/football Mets all owned by the same organization with the same name

You already see that in motorsports - pretty common for a sponsor/owners's racing team to bridge multiple disciplines. For example, Red Bull Motorsport has teams in F1, the MotoGP, Enduro racing, Moto X racing, Rally, Rally Raid, Rallycross, and V8 Supercars.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Just poke an extra hole in your belt if necessary, and make a little loop of leather to hold back the extra length of belt that might be dangling. No new pants necessary. Apply barbecue as needed.
  • Our belts are modern belts. There are no holes.
  • Suspenders also have no holes.
  • Rym said:

Our belts are modern belts. There are no holes.

Fair point. Mine doesn't either come to think of it. My loop point still stands

Suspenders also have no holes.

Maybe Scott should just grow his beard out and go full Unix Santa?
  • Just get an oldschool holey belt until you fill out again. Cheaper than new pants if you think your waist won't stay small.