This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Road Trips

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the humble road trip, wonder at its proper definition, and lament its destruction at the hands of money and smartphones, as well as its eventual return with the SELF DRIVING RV. In other news, a crazy train accident in New Jersey, get your flu shot, and avoid Tim Burton's company.

GeekNights is on Patreon! And Rym's reading all of Castlevania 2's novelization in there!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Live production of the episode:
  • I find it amusing how divergent your podcast personalities are from your normal personalities. It isn't the first time I've noticed, but I was just reminded of it watching that video.
  • On flu vaccinations.
    There tends to be a base level of inluenza variants (that have been devastating in the past) and projected variants which may be present in the coming year. The times when there is an influenza outbreak it may be from an unexpected variant from another part of the world or a mutation that has not been accounted for during or after the research phase. So yes get flu vaccinations, especially if

@Apreche MMR viruses do not "evolve" (for lack of a better word) or variants aren't generated as easily as influenza which is why the latter is a pain the but for humans, birds and pigs (and probably other animals in the acceleration cycle which creates the variants).

Tetanus is a vaccination against a bacterium that doesn't change or evolve variants as quickly as viruses and due to the lack of hosts hasn't had the chance to accelerate its evolution to beat the host defences. The method of traversal is particularly difficult so your one initial and second booster are good for a long while and you will usually get a booster to keep on the safe side to refresh the number of T cells that know how to deal with Tetanus when you possibly encounter the tetanus bacterium again.

Chickenpox hasn't been allowed to have variations due to good vaccination protocols but if it gets going again, you'll need new pox vaccinations for everyone around the world again because it is highly contagious. The initial encounter you have as a kid is likely the only variant in the wild.

It lasts your entire life because the immune system stores how to recognise these various attacks in T cells. T cells are like your huge backed up cloud data, when the immune system finds a new threat, it checks with the T cell bros if they remember how to get rid of it. When they say they do, the T cells meet up with B cells and produce antigens to go attach themselves to the attacker, the nullified attackers with antigens attached are then destroyed by phagocytes which eat all the bad stuff in your blood and lymph.

@Rym your immune system definitely has enough receptors and would just generate more if required. It's another part of the human body that people have difficulty replicating, kind of like how much data can be stored in DNA or how complex the brain is. Also your brain doesn't remember, the information is distributed across T cells.
  • As for RVs, I seriously contenplated the cost benefit if owning one and NOT doing a hotel for conventions. A used RV usually goes for about 10 grand so in order to get profit back from it I estimated that to be between 20-25 conventions.

For a pax groupie that is REALLY temping if you rather drive to each of the events and can have the time to do so with your job.
  • Regarding the questionable safety of cars and our insane dependence on them, The Adam Ruins Everything episode on Cars is amazing. Y'all should watch it.
  • Regarding the questionable safety of cars and our insane dependence on them, The Adam Ruins Everything episode on Cars is amazing. Y'all should watch it.

Adam's a chill dude, and watching his show evolve into what Penn & Teller's Bullshit SHOULD have been is pretty amazing. He's pro.
  • edited September 2016
    Rym said:

Regarding the questionable safety of cars and our insane dependence on them, The Adam Ruins Everything episode on Cars is amazing. Y'all should watch it.

Adam's a chill dude, and watching his show evolve into what Penn & Teller's Bullshit SHOULD have been is pretty amazing. He's pro.
    Yeah, his show is pretty legit. Most of it is stuff I know already, but there have been a few that were completely news to me. This one was particularly eye-opening.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

This one was particularly eye-opening.

• Friend of mine went for a trip in United States few weeks ago and his visit was mostly spend on road trip seeing different towns, cities, parks, coffee shops, breweries and such. Was a little jealous of him, although I stated that I'd be just fine spending a little more time in few or the bigger cities instead of combing the countryside.
  • Apreche said:

This one was particularly eye-opening.

Thought it was going to be about actual glass or something. Not the Luxottica monopoly.

Now that I'm reminded of it, why doesn't anyone compete with them? If they do all these anticompetitive practices, why doesn't the FTC regulate on them?
  • Rym said:

Regarding the questionable safety of cars and our insane dependence on them, The Adam Ruins Everything episode on Cars is amazing. Y'all should watch it.

Adam is the Best. Really wanna meet the guy.
  • He's west coast now, along with basically everyone I knew even in passing at College Humor.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Rym said:

Adam is the Best. Really wanna meet the guy.
    He is on tour right now going to Philly this week.
  • Huh, Emily works remarkably close to where I live. One hell of a commute.
  • Basically vaccines are good, unless you have a physiological reason you can't be vaccinated you should be vaccinated. The benefits outweigh the supposed negatives (which don't exist).
  • Hey, they make me mildly uncomfortable for a few hours.