This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• I guess they can advertise the date for this one risk-free...

I guess we can also infer that PAX Prime (West?!) badges go on sale sometime between April 24 (end of East) and May 17.
  • Where did that pop up? I didn't see any mention on the page or in the episode. Must have missed it.
  • Registration is up. PAX South is January 27-29, 2017.
  • Purchased my Omegathon lottery ticket
  • Oh, I guess I should get a hotel.
  • Uh, how do I pass tickets and go directly to hotel? It's OK if I don't collect $200.
  • I snagged a spare 3-day badge thinking they'd sell out quick, but they're still available two hours later.
  • There is a "Hotels and Travel" tab on every PAX site. Scroll down and there is a hotel link.

How do you know San Antonio is a gov't/military town? Booked a suite at the Marriott across the street for $120/night. This town is ridiculous.
  • Booked the Contessa again. Can always cancel.
  • We have tickets. Contessa again for us as well.
  • I am checking but can't seem to find the link, did they open panel submissions yet for south?
  • So, turned out the hosts were right about Magfest being easily the best con I'd ever been to up until that point, so I'm gonna continue trusting them until they're wrong and attend the PAX I can go to easily, South.

I've a few questions, how do you generally get from the airport to your hotel near the con? Take a cab? Are there cabs in San Antonio? Uber? If Uber, how'd ya do it... 2 years ago, before Uber? Do you recommend the Contessa? I think I'm feeling the Mariott.
  • Cab. There are weird but usable cabs from the airport if you go to the taxi stand.

Ask the hotel to arrange a car back to the airport at the end.
  • There's also a shared shuttle to/from the airport to the downtown hotels. It's fine.
  • Last time I was in San Antonio, which admittedly was in like high school, the whole place seems mostly centered around a lackluster tourist crowd. So it's probably really easy to get around.
  • It was just announced that the WWE Royal Rumble is going to be at the Alamodome in San Antonio on Sunday, January 29th. $120 round trip flights from Boston to Houston, plus PAX, plus the best WWE show of the year? Looks like I'm going to two PAXes again next year.
  • UncleUlty said:

It was just announced that the WWE Royal Rumble is going to be at the Alamodome in San Antonio on Sunday, January 29th. $120 round trip flights from Boston to Houston, plus PAX, plus the best WWE show of the year? Looks like I'm going to two PAXes again next year.

I wonder if there is going to be an overlap with pax and indie wrestling since they tend to do a show in the same town prior to the PPV.
  • I am curious about this Royal Rumble, as a person who hasn't watched wrestling since right before WWF and WCW merged.

Due to the size of the venue, one of either two things is going to happen:
    - They are going to break out the big guns and turn this into a really major show
    - There are going to be some cheap seats available

The Alamodome seats 65k, which is around 4x the average attendance of a Royal Rumble show, according to Wikipedia. Wrestlemania gets 80k, and it topped 100k this year when they pushed it really hard, but those numbers are very likely inflated, and it is their landmark event of the year.

Royal Rumble in the Alamodome in 1997, 20 years ago, was a big deal bringing in 60k (still the record for that event), but if you read up on it, the tickets were ridiculously cheap, and there were an incredible amount of free tickets given away to put asses in seats.
  • I haven't watched pro wrestling since it was on Fox Saturday mornings right after X-Men was over. I have a hard time watching it now since my adult brain can only see straight to the truth. This is a bunch of roided up mostly naked dudes grabbing each other.

That being said, if we're in San Antonio anyway, and the tickets are cheap enough, experiencing the spectacle of the rumble is probably better than any other way we might choose to spend our time.

Also, the old Royal Rumble arcade game is the best.

• It all depends on what I do re: the ski trip that once again begins Sunday night.
  • I'm definitely not going unless many of you also go. Scary enough to be with a ton of wrestling fans, even scarier if they are Texas wrestling fans. Need a nice safe blob of nerds.
  • Wrestling fans are harmless. I'd go there alone before I'd go anywhere with more than 1 juggalo.
  • Rym said:

Wrestling fans are harmless. I'd go there alone before I'd go anywhere with more than 1 juggalo.

Uh, the crossover between those two groups is vast. They're at least 70% the same people.
  • Aaaaaaand there's a new ROM for the ol' mame box (aka the HTPC)
  • I fully plan on going for the spectacle and nostalgia, but I don't plan on buying tickets until morning of or at the door. I can't bail on Tabletop breakdown duties, but I have no problem showing up halfway through and watching the Rumble from the cheap seats, and I'll probably drag a few people with me.
  • Naoza said:

Aaaaaaand there's a new ROM for the ol' mame box (aka the HTPC)

I got a torrent with every ROM ever a long while back. Y U NO do the same?
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

I did, my HTPC is a laptop with a 40gb hd and that was like 20. I deleted it. (I know I have to replace it)
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Naoza said:

I did, my HTPC is a laptop with a 40gb hd and that was like 20. I deleted it. (I know I have to replace it)
    Yeah, mine used to be 1TB, but now I have a 500GB SSD in the new one. Should be enough, though.
  • I have a build planned to replace the PoS laptop (That I'm pretty sure I stole from an old employer) which will have a large enough SSD to accommodate my normal strategy of just grab every game ever but until I get around to it no 20gb torrents will be stored on it.
  • Count me in. I don't care about Pro Wrestling, but I've never gone so why not?

I should book flights.