This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2017

Comments

• Will the elimination of 3-day badges, and increase of total cost for weekend badge to $159 decrease demand? ......no.
  • Matt said:

Will the elimination of 3-day badges, and increase of total cost for weekend badge to $159 decrease demand? ......no.

However, it may result in a lot of townies and stream-kids getting badges just one day, meaning more total unique people go to the PAX.
  • A few minutes of research on how the food scene is shaping up in Boston Seaport turned up a crazy amount of results. It's obvious that the area has been on a huge rise based on how much it has grown since first going there in 2011, but this year will bring another huge wave of additional food options within walking distance of BCEC:

Shake Shack - 85 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210 - Decent burger and good shakes

Ben & Jerry's - 85 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210 - Good ice cream

Yo! Sushi - 85 Seaport Blvd - International (London-based) conveyor belt sushi chain

Better Bagels - One Seaport Square - The hand-formed bagels that are boiled then baked, supposedly the answer to the longtime gripes about the quality of bagels in Boston. Situated right under the Seaport hotel, so it will give J. Pace & Son a run for their breakfast sandwich dominance at PAX. Might not open until after PAX 2017.

Tuscan Kitchen - One Seaport Square - Won't open until Summer 2017. 320-seat location serving pasta, thin-crust Neapolitan pizza, and other Italian cuisine.

Sorelle Bakery & Cafe - 100 Northern Ave - 3rd location in Boston, serving its lineup of coffee, tea, and other beverages, as well as pastries and other breakfast items like quiches, egg sandwiches, steel-cut oatmeal and bagels. The cafe also offers lunch options from soups and salads to an extensive list of sandwiches (both pressed and not) and wraps, and it makes its own sauces, dressings, and spreads from scratch.

CHLOE - 101 Seaport Boulevard - Fast casual 48-seat vegan. Serves fresh pasta, salads, soups, cold-pressed juices, and grab-and-go items. There’s also dairy-free ice cream in virtuous flavors like Kale Cookies + Cream.

Aceituna Grill - 101 Seaport Blvd - 2nd Boston location. Mediterranean fare with a fast-casual feel. Get your shawarma on.

Yoki Sushi - 101 Seaport Blvd - 2nd Boston location

La Casa Pedro - 505 Congress St - Offers a mix of tapas and larger entree; a big variety of hearty meat- and seafood-based dishes that each come with several sides. Inspired by Venezuelan cuisine.

Chipotle - 51 Boston Wharf Road - Dine if you dare

Also, slightly further away, no longer in Seaport, Eataly has opened a Back Bay location.

Here's an interesting map showing growth of Seaport. Lots of new big buildings going up, with their planned ground floor tenants. Lots of great existing restaurants also not on this map.
  • There's a fucking Shake Shack now?
  • Enforcers, do the thing.
  • Matt said:

Enforcers, do the thing.

I did a thing, but I feel like I may have missed a previous thing. I can still login to [E] sites, so I guess I'm good?
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

I did a thing, but I feel like I may have missed a previous thing. I can still login to [E] sites, so I guess I'm good?

Same. If we go down, we go down together.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Renewal was in May and as far as I can remember there was no email confirmation. Roll call won't be for quite a while. If you're still in, you're in.
  • Matt said:

Renewal was in May and as far as I can remember there was no email confirmation. Roll call won't be for quite a while. If you're still in, you're in.

I just don't remember if I renewed or not, but if I'm in, I'm in I guess.
  • Anyone who needs to buy tix should be on the highest alert right now.
  • I was five minutes late to checking twitter but still got badges.
  • Seems they are selling out significantly less fast than usual. Supply up? Demand down? Price increase? Perfect release time when everyone isn't ready for it?
  • Got in the queue 13 minutes late and still got badges for all three days.
  • Probably the price increase. I'm all set.
  • pence said:

Probably the price increase. I'm all set.

Really? West still sells out instantly at a vastly greater price.
  • tockets secared.
  • tockets secared.

50 minutes after on sale and Saturday is low. I'm beginning to think supply is way up.
  • Or maybe all the video games got cancelled and we are finally free of this hell.
  • Or maybe all the video games got cancelled and we are finally free of this hell.

Uh, Nintendo Switch launches in march, and PAX East is in April. Shit gon' be lit.
  • Did they perhaps do something Khoo warned against? (Greatly increasing ticket supply).
  • Apreche said:

Uh, Nintendo Switch launches in march, and PAX East is in April March. Shit gon' be lit.

• okeefe said:

Apreche said:

Uh, Nintendo Switch launches in march, and PAX East is in April March. Shit gon' be lit.

Oh shit, I was looking at 2016 dates.
  • How could they have increased supply, when the show was already sold out to capacity (As far as we know)?
  • UncleUlty said:

How could they have increased supply, when the show was already sold out to capacity (As far as we know)?

It's possible that in the past they sold under the absolute capacity limit set by the fire marshall, just to be safe. It's also possible that the fire marshall set the number conservatively just to be safe, and has since changed the number.
  • It could also depend on how much the math changes after ditching 3-day badges. They had to plan for a worse case on Saturdays if all 3-day and all Saturday badges show up.

Friday and Sunday badges are still available.
  • East has the most one-day attendees of any PAX: people come in from Boston or come to Boston for the weekend with one day at PAX for their kids to see whatever youtuber. I've encountered it frequently.

East also has the least hotels available, which is much more of a limiting factor than the badges even now. Most of the hotels suck and are far away from the con. Every year I see hotels fill up before badges sell out, or people wait on badges due to not having a good hotel plan.

The hotel situation makes it harder to sell, even at face value, badges later on. No one can get a hotel late in the game, so there aren't people still trying to get badges in the month before the con. They have little resale value.
  • The hotels are definitely an issue, but the badge resale value (at least on eBay) has held steady around $250-325 for a full weekend for several years now. I don't think scalping is a problem of any significance, but now there is a $100 or less profit on flipping a set, after fees. I have to assume this makes them less appealing to scalpers.

There will be more attendees overall at this PAX. People were buying 3-day badges and only using them for 2 days. Now, the max badgeholders will show up every single day, so overall unique attendee count will get a slight bump, while turnstile count should be stagnant. There's no increase in space or fire marshal count changes to my knowledge.
  • I don't know if the cat is fully out of the bag on this one, but it's one of those things that I'm exciting enough about that I have to tell somebody, especially given that I've been under the bad news burden that is this week. So just don't bring it up on Twitter or something.

But this year I'll be transitioning in as Tabletop lead for PAX East, then starting in 2018, it'll be my show to run.

I used to worry about "all good things must come to and end," and when would that happen to PAX? Well there's one way to keep it good. Do it yourself.
  • Drain YYYYY U GO? Well, at least it's not as depressing as when Father Fletch threw in the towel. May you carry the torch long and far.