This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - All our Jobs

13»

Comments

• `Curiosity, how long does it last? I like to let the lake get about 8 inches of ice before I even start kicking it to see if I can skate that takes a good month of sub 0 C temps
  • Andrew said:

Ugh, fuck the Bay Area. I want to move to someplace cheap. Like Hong Kong.

I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to fund the research to build a trans-dimensional wormhole generator and build a colony on Alpha Centauri than it is to live in the Bay Area.

• Sydney is pretty cheap.

It's horribly expensive compared to basic human standards or even Australian City standards, of course. But compared to NYC or the Bay Area, it's pretty cheap...
  • edited November 2016
    Naoza said:

`Curiosity, how long does it last? I like to let the lake get about 8 inches of ice before I even start kicking it to see if I can skate that takes a good month of sub 0 C temps

Like a few days. Then you're wearing shorts again. This is Texas weather for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Rym said:

Starfox said:

Interesting. If Freddie and Fannie upped their limits, do you think that would result in a more "normal" mortgage market?

Sellers still prefer cash. =(

Owning also ain't cheap in nice places. Taxes are very high, and there are big fees to maintain buildings and utilities and such.
    The rich need some legal way to keep the trash out of their community.
  • edited November 2016
    Rym said:

Sydney is pretty cheap.

It's horribly expensive compared to basic human standards or even Australian City standards, of course. But compared to NYC or the Bay Area, it's pretty cheap...

Depends on what you're aiming for, I suppose. Matching what you've got in NY(Good building in a decent area) or similar(Decent house, close by the city) it's going to be crazy expensive, but once you get out a little further, it gets down to a reasonable(ish) price, depending on the suburb. I mean, downside, not the center of the city, but upside, more room for rabbits to roam about and...I don't actually know what rabbits do, but whatever that is.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I saw decent houses in the fringes of the Eastern Suburbs for under $500k. That commute would still be only ~30min.

$500k is what a comparable house would cost in Beacon.
  • That's not as bad as I'd imagined, actually.

Meanwhile, I have a friend moving to Pittsburgh taking an engineering job who's looking at houses larger than mine in the $160k range.

Of course, Pittsburgh.

I mean, really.
  • I looked up my childhood home in Detroit. It's a nice 3BR 1.5 bath with separate kitchen, dining room, living room, den, and eating nook, plus a full basement and detached garage. Forced air heat, wall-integrated AC units.

It last sold in 2010 for $17k. The current owners, who bought it at that price, foreclosed and it went up for auction/short sale.

The highest estimate of its value is $60k today.