This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym and Scott legitimately hate me

2»

Comments

• edited November 2016

I can't speak for everyone on this forum, but your assumptions that we hate you are way off base.

This.

This is going to sound ridiculously harsh, but screw it - you aren't a sufficiently significant force to actually warrant hate. You don't matter enough in the grand scheme of things to actually engender directed dislike. I'm not even sure you rise to the level of "nuisance," except that you seem to be on this quest to prove that everyone hates you by making a nuisance of yourself.

If you're not getting what you want here, go elsewhere. You will not get R&S's approval by asking for it, and especially not by spouting a bunch of unsupported "poor me" nonsense. Nobody hates you, but your interactions here seem to be bound up in this notion that we do. We don't, and we aren't interested in buying into that narrative.

But no matter what:
    Andrew said:

Stop trying to derive self-worth from random internet people.

For real. Not everyone you encounter in life is going to like you, and nailing your self-worth to other people's approval is a recipe for a life of frustration and letdown. Ask me how I know.

Just, like, chill. Just talk. Get off the cross.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Should I illegally photograph my ballot?

For the record, photographing your ballot and showing other people isn't illegal.

For the record, photographing your ballot and showing other people isn't illegal.
    Depends on the state.

Sorry to be a buzzkill but: http://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2016/10/25/13389980/ballot-selfie-legal-illegal?client=ms-android-google#scso=uid_WA-gyQALP84Kg-TjRQgu3g_0:0
  • edited November 2016

In particular, you have not given Rym and Scott sufficient reason to suspect that you are anything other than a dime-a-dozen Gamergate troll.

Well I don't understand how you think gamergate trolls operate? Is it normal for them to be desperate for approval? Is it normal for them to be well versed in the product they're supposed to infiltrate's content?

I have legitimately enjoyed this show until I met the creators.
    I'm inclined to believe that you listen to / have listened to the podcast, but around here that doesn't count for much anyway; it also doesn't have that much to do with whether or not you're a troll. It's quite clearly possible for someone to enjoy the podcast and still be a troll.

That being said, from my own perspective, you don't really seem like a straight-up troll, per se. However, I think it's quite understandable why many others on this forum see you that way. The overwhelming majority of your posts on this forum are about a single issue (Gamergate), and you have also exhibited several types of behaviours that can directly be called "trolling". Let me give some clear examples:

I've spent the entire time on the defensive. You guys want to be Heroes?

You're all enjoying taking a mysogonizer down a peg, but wouldn't you rather ruin him? I'll self dox. Call my mom and get her to kick me out. Call my boss and tell him to fire me. There's a person I'm romantically interested in, she needs to know that I'm evil. What information do you want to know?

Nothing I say will matter, I'll die alone a fat gay virgin.

— This is definitely the kind of thing a troll would say to try to get a rise out of people.

Then ban me. Or maybe just do a two year temp ban.

— Trying to goad moderators into banning you is also an archetypal trolling behaviour.

But you hate me.

— If you're trying to elicit a strong emotional response from people, accusing them of already having that response can work. This is something a troll could definitely do.

I'm only getting banned because I hurt Rym's pride. It reinforces my point that he's not willing to do things that are difficult.

— Here's one where you are specifically trying to get under Rym's skin; this is probably your most clear-cut example of trolling.

Thus, from their point of view, even if it could possibly be the case that you are expressing your own distinct viewpoint it simply isn't worth their time to check for that possibility.

Well I do have original ideas. I was begging people there to give the lower elections the same kind of care and interest of the presidential ones. The president isn't electing the emperor, is one moving part that touches, moves, and is moved by many others.
    While that idea is not really original and that's a view that has been expressed by many others on this forum (e.g. Rym), I can appreciate that you have your own thoughts and views on things other than the Gamergate movement. However, if you really want people to acknowledge that about you, you should spend more time posting about your own original ideas and spend less time posting about Gamergate and/or how everyone hates you.

If they were to have a universally given level of what you refer to as "respect", they would be wasting a *lot* of their time on pointless discussion.

But they have plenty of time to snipe me with insults and jabs. I have only given them personal praise and one time questioned there devotion to their politics, I've never tried to hurt them. They purposefully hurt me.
    People post insults and jabs on this forum because it's *fun*, and because being able to throw your own jabs and insults, and being able to take an insult and roll with, are par for the course on this forum. For example, consider the parenthetical statement I made here:

On this forum the way you get that is by giving reasoned arguments and by showing an ability to consider others' points without excessive personal bias (although I'll note that certain respected people on the forum are not particularly good at the latter).

Hurling insults is at least worth it for the entertainment value. On the other hand, spending time trying to get to grips with someone only to discover they were trolling is just annoying and a waste of time.

Unfortunately you may have trouble doing this after many already see you as a troll, but it's hardly impossible.

What could I possibly do to prove I'm not a troll? Even if I self doxed and shared every pro-left thing I've ever done you'd still say it wasn't enough.
    The #1 thing you need to do in order for people to not think you're a troll is, frankly, to stop trolling. Don't post comments anything like the examples I gave above. You may have had different intentions with those comments, and maybe you didn't intend them to troll people, but if you exhibit trolling behaviours people are going to think you're a troll.

The #2 thing you need to do is to stop being so focused on a single issue. Having original ideas is great and all, but if you don't want people to think you're a troll you need to spend more time communicating those ideas and less time reposting the views of others.

The #3 thing you need to do is to make a concerted effort to understand the perspectives of other people on this forum. The fact that you continue to think everyone here "hates" you is evidence of your failure to do so.

The #4 thing you need to do (and probably the most important one for your own sake) is this:
    Andrew said:

Stop trying to derive self-worth from random internet people.

I realise from your previous posts that this may be quite difficult for you, and it's probably something you need to spend a lot of time thinking and/or talking through, but it seems like you need it.
    In principle if you want to talk about some of your personal issues there are at least a few people who would be happy to do so on this forum, but I think you might be better off trying to do it in a less hostile environment.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It's good that it's illegal, and it should be everywhere. I would bey very happy if they actually made everyone leave all phones and cameras outside the voting booth while they vote. Just put a little bin on the outside of the curtain. The reason is quite simple.

Let's say someone blackmails or threatens you to vote for X. We can't have that, obviously. Now, the person doing the threatening is going to need some proof you voted for X. They can't go in the booth with you, so what are you going to do?

The only real method of proof would be a photo. Oh, but you can't take one. Now you can just tell the person threatening you that you voted for X, and vote for Y instead. They're going to need to find something else to blackmail you for, and not fuck with our elections.

TL;DR: If photos of voting are legal, then voter intimidation is possible.
  • @lackofcheese This is the first time I've so strongly agreed with someone on this forum that I actually miss the up-voting system on reddit.
  • Apreche said:

It's good that it's illegal, and it should be everywhere. I would bey very happy if they actually made everyone leave all phones and cameras outside the voting booth while they vote. Just put a little bin on the outside of the curtain. The reason is quite simple.

Let's say someone blackmails or threatens you to vote for X. We can't have that, obviously. Now, the person doing the threatening is going to need some proof you voted for X. They can't go in the booth with you, so what are you going to do?

The only real method of proof would be a photo. Oh, but you can't take one. Now you can just tell the person threatening you that you voted for X, and vote for Y instead. They're going to need to find something else to blackmail you for, and not fuck with our elections.

TL;DR: If photos of voting are legal, then voter intimidation is possible.

I didn't care about this until just now. Yeah, CT get it together and ban the voting selfie.
  • I have legitimately enjoyed this show until I met the creators.

I'm inclined to believe that you listen to / have listened to the podcast, but around here that doesn't count for much anyway
    Scott regularly asks fans why they waste their time listening to the podcast when they could be out biking (or something along those lines). Pretty sure they aren't into stans.
  • I have legitimately enjoyed this show until I met the creators.

I'm inclined to believe that you listen to / have listened to the podcast, but around here that doesn't count for much anyway
    Scott regularly asks fans why they waste their time listening to the podcast when they could be out biking (or something along those lines). Pretty sure they aren't into stans.
    WTF did this stan thing come from? I understand what it means. I've even seen it used as a verb, i.e: stanning. I just can't find the origin of it. Google searches come up empty, for somewhat obvious reasons. Lots of pictures of Stan Lee, though.
  • edited November 2016
    Google searches come up empty!? It's on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(fan)
  • RymRym
    edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

I have legitimately enjoyed this show until I met the creators.

WTF did this stan thing come from? I understand what it means. I've even seen it used as a verb, i.e: stanning. I just can't find the origin of it. Google searches come up empty, for somewhat obvious reasons. Lots of pictures of Stan Lee, though.
    It's an Eminem song about an overzealous fan named Stan. The song is also called Stan.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I was stupidly looking at knowyourmeme, and forgot about Urban Dictionary.
  • Back in my younger days I was actually a big fan of Eminem and could probably still sing that song from memory, as well as every other track on that album. Despite that it still took me a minute to figure out what you meant by Stan.
  • I've heard "Stans" in the context of Enforcing. As in, "watch out for Stans in the crowd."
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Google searches come up empty, for somewhat obvious reasons. Lots of pictures of Stan Lee, though.

Google searches come up empty!? It's on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(fan)

To clarify:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stan+fan
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stanning

Now to see whether Scott starts insisting that I hate him because I insulted his Internet-searching abilities ^_~
  • Wow they pulled all the teeth out of that song. A TW would have sufficed.
  • Rym said:

I've heard "Stans" in the context of Enforcing. As in, "watch out for Stans in the crowd."

I hear it in KPop land the most. They use it like this. "I am such a Jacksonstan." "I stan Red Velvet so hard." "Watch out for Yerin's stans." etc.
  • edited November 2016
    To quote The Ancient One from the Doctor Strange movie as well as all parents around the globe: "It's not about you."

No one hates you. To hate you, people would have to be deeply invested in you on some level. At most, you are annoyance. Please, get over yourself or find the interaction, attention, and approval you so desperately crave, be it as a troll or a fanatic, somewhere else.

That is not to say you should stop interacting with the forum. It is a relatively open forum and only the administrators can say if you are not allowed to participate. If you want to actively participate in it, okay. However, stop making this about your fragile, needy ego. If you want to discuss a topic, even a personal one, the forum members are usually open and supportive. If you want a lively sociopolitical debate, come with valid sources, well considered arguments, and a stomach to handle strong disagreement.

First and foremost, respect others on the forum including Rym and Scott enough to believe them when they say that they do not hate you. Second, stop hijacking the forum: It isn't about you.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Wow they pulled all the teeth out of that song. A TW would have sufficed.

Yeah, I just had a listen for the first time in many years, and yeah, they really did a number on this one. My favorite censorship has to be "Sometimes I even _______ myself to see how much it _______; It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me. "
  • I want to assure Halfmoon that I'm here for him.

Halfmoon, I hate you so much.
  • I want to assure Halfmoon that I'm here for him.

Halfmoon, I hate you so much.

Yeah, but you're Canadian so that's, like, 0.5x American hate.