This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• It is good to be back.

The brawl is a 4-player co-op battle against monsters assaulting a door.
  • Overwatch 4 dead.
  • edited October 2016
    I have played 30 hours of Ana, just got my first Ana POTG. Feels so good.
    https://gfycat.com/WholeElaborateBlackbuck
    Post edited by MechanicalMind on
  • This looks like it could be changed into a good practice technique
  • Should we play some Overwatch this evening?
  • I'm game. Currently nothing to do but watch Overwatch World Cup stuff.
  • Sombra officially announced. Her abilities are described on this page.

Also, new animated short starring Sombra:

• I always got kinda confused because I thought Sombra was Ana's like young squad name or something. It might have been because the things people were originally piecing together for Ana contained a lot of images correlating the name Sombra with what ended up being Ana.
  • edited November 2016
    Sombra goes on the PTR next week. One of her legendary skins is her as a member of Los Muertos, the gang Soldier 76 fights in the "Hero" short.

Other news stuff: A new map called Oasis (to be released on PTR in December), and a new map specifically for 1v1 and 3v3 brawls representing Mei's antarctic research station (PTR together with Sombra). Genji gets a legendary (?) skin of him wearing an Oni mask.

Edit: One Hero Limit coming to quick play. No more cheesy "six money" strategies and such.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • MATATAT said:

I always got kinda confused because I thought Sombra was Ana's like young squad name or something. It might have been because the things people were originally piecing together for Ana contained a lot of images correlating the name Sombra with what ended up being Ana.

That's what a lot of people thought because a lot of Ana hints and Sombra hints were around at the same time.
  • She's going to counter my Zarya so hard. T_T
  • Ability video:

She's going to counter my Zarya so hard. T_T

As a D.Va player all I can say is: Haha!
  • ON THE HUNT FOR SECRETS
  • edited November 2016
    Sombra gameplay from the show floor of BlizzCon with commentary from one of the designers, Tim Ford:

Stuff from the video about Sombra:
    * She has a passive ability called "Opportunist" which allows her to see low health enemies through the map similar to Hanzo's sonic arrow or Widow's ultimate.
    * One of her primary purposes is "backline harasser", denying health packs and drawing their attention before teleporting out.
    * Hacking healthpacks not only stops enemies from using them, but also triples their regen rate.
    * One of the tactics for her is to put her recall beacon on a healthpack behind enemy lines, hack that healthpack and basically use that as a base of operations.
    * The beacon can not be destroyed. The developer's recommended counter tactic for it is to camp it.
    * Hacks last one minute. Hacking a new thing does not remove the hack from the previous hacked object. In the video they demonstrate it by having two large healthpacks hacked at the same time.
    * Hacking shuts off some but not all abilities. E.g. you can't hack Reinhardt's shield. Lucio is given as an example that he can't switch the song, but the song he was on when he was hacked continues.
    * The ability shutdown lasts 6 seconds. Some lesser effects, e.g. seeing their health and ultimate status (available or not), lasts longer.
    * You can't use the hack through a barrier.
    * The ultimate requires line of sight.
    * Her invisibility doesn't stop her from becoming visible through other means, e.g. Hanzo's Sonic Arrow.
    * No hacking during setup time.
    * She has a 60 bullet mag size and her weapon has a distinctive firing sound compared to for example Soldier 76 or Tracer. Seriously, she fire for a loooooong as time.
    * Her effective range is similar to Soldier 76, but she has a wider spread that comes on faster.
  • i'm so excite
  • edited November 2016
    Sombra is Live on the PTR. Patchnotes here.

Here are Sombra's Skins, emotes, etc.

Some of them are very entertaining, e.g. during the ARG the people participating took a joke as a real hint and made all sorts of stuff and the "Amused" emote is a direct reference to that. Also this Laughing Man inspired spray. No "boop" emote or highlight intro though.
  • Booted up PTR in order to test Sombra a bit in practice range. Ended up playing quite a bit of 1v1 and 3v3. Although it's clear that the game and heroes are not build for those modes, it's still pretty fun. And you get bunch of lootboxes, so brain chemicals like it too.
  • Really interesting character, I wonder if the gun will have the same range after the time on the PTR.
  • sK0pe said:

Really interesting character, I wonder if the gun will have the same range after the time on the PTR.

I tested her during the prep for our live election coverage tomorrow and she is pretty fun. I like her ability to toss a teleport somewhere safe, run in under cloak, do some damage or even let off an EMP, then teleport back to safety.

Speaking of...
  • One of my paintball guns is a few plastic bits some paint, and a cable, away from being her SMG.

Might do that someday. IT'S pretty cool lookin.
  • I thought I'd give this channel a signal boost because I don't know why it doesn't have more subscribers. It routinely has some very good tips on playing certain characters.

• I see he has no Top 5 Symmetra techniques...
  • I see he has no Top 5 Symmetra techniques...

I'm waiting for your top 5 Symmetra techniques.
    I mean if I can get gold eliminations and POTG when I play Symmetra I'm sure you're wrecking every game you're in.
  • edited November 2016
    sK0pe said:

I see he has no Top 5 Symmetra techniques...

I mean if I can get gold eliminations and POTG when I play Symmetra I'm sure you're wrecking every game you're in.
    Right now my only "Technique" is "Fuck everyone who says Symmetra sucks". lol
    But seriously, if your Symmetra game sucks, it's because you don't know when and how to use her. Dorado? Never. Too open and too many paths. Your turrets will be gone faster than a Genji at half health. Kings Row? On defense and only until you lose that first point. Symmetra is best when there's a choke point or a tight enclosed space, for slowing enemies down, and for the teleporter. If the enemy breaks past that first hold point, switch.

On open maps like Dorado and Gibraltar, the best use for Symmetra (if at all) is for her teleporter, her ability to slow fast characters down, and for using her turrets as an early warning systemon some of the more off-to-the-side paths. If there is a big battle going on but a couple enemies are mysteriously missing, having a turret or two on each of the back alleys can be an early warning of an impending flanking maneuver which you can then convey to the rest of the team. And while you're watching for that, being int he fray to slow down and finish enemies off is always useful.

If I were to pick a best map for Symmetra, it would be Ilios: Lighthouse. Putting the turrets on the walls between openings on the front make it so anyone coming through is met with a laser-y death. Even if they know they are there, they can never take out ALL of them without being put in too much danger by your team members or you. The walls protect the turrets from splash damage from the outside as well. If you can get a Lucio to taxi a Symmetra there at match start with an offense character to run interference while you set up, it's really hard to wrest control of it afterwards, especially if you are keeping that Teleporter up on the side passage as well.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • sK0pe said:

I see he has no Top 5 Symmetra techniques...

Right now my only "Technique" is "Fuck everyone who says Symmetra sucks". lol
    But seriously, if your Symmetra game sucks, it's because you don't know when and how to use her. Dorado? Never. Too open and too many paths. Your turrets will be gone faster than a Genji at half health. Kings Row? On defense and only until you lose that first point. Symmetra is best when there's a choke point or a tight enclosed space, for slowing enemies down, and for the teleporter. If the enemy breaks past that first hold point, switch.

On open maps like Dorado and Gibraltar, the best use for Symmetra (if at all) is for her teleporter, her ability to slow fast characters down, and for using her turrets as an early warning systemon some of the more off-to-the-side paths. If there is a big battle going on but a couple enemies are mysteriously missing, having a turret or two on each of the back alleys can be an early warning of an impending flanking maneuver which you can then convey to the rest of the team. And while you're watching for that, being int he fray to slow down and finish enemies off is always useful.

If I were to pick a best map for Symmetra, it would be Ilios: Lighthouse. Putting the turrets on the walls between openings on the front make it so anyone coming through is met with a laser-y death. Even if they know they are there, they can never take out ALL of them without being put in too much danger by your team members or you. The walls protect the turrets from splash damage from the outside as well. If you can get a Lucio to taxi a Symmetra there at match start with an offense character to run interference while you set up, it's really hard to wrest control of it afterwards, especially if you are keeping that Teleporter up on the side passage as well.
    Also works well on Eichenwalde at the initial 1/3 and final 1/3 of the map. Korea used this strategy in the Overwatch World Cup.
  • I really haven't played enough Eichenwalde.
  • Right now my only "Technique" is "Fuck everyone who says Symmetra sucks".

Symmetra sucks. She's great maybe if you have the upper hand, but if you're trying to reclaim territory or handle a strong push, her spot is better filled with a dedicated role. Her ult is best used with a long run back, but it's better to not die in the first place. She works well against incompetent and uncoordinated teams.
  • Symmetra is definitely the weakest character at the moment. Her gameplay is almost entirely linear and she is just too weak to be valuable. She is only good when people walk into her microwave setup or she can ambush somebody and they don't burst her down. She has one of the strongest ultimates in the game but there is just too much counterplay for it.

Many are hoping that she gets a buff but I'm not sure how that is supposed to work with her current ability set. She seem super-finicky as buffing her turrets or her primary weapon will feel really bad to play against and do nothing to improve her value in a team comp. She is probably going to also get weaker since Sombra will likely prey on her by sneaking past enemy lines rather easily.
  • She works well against incompetent and uncoordinated teams.

That is definitely also my experience. I have never encountered her in competitive play at the upper gold/lower platinum level. The only less-used character is Torb. Even BASTION I see more often than Sym.