This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Generally speaking, I play heroes that are very much in the grind. If a team has too many heroes far from the point of contact, i.e. widow, flankers, timid/out of position players, I feel it in the form of increased pressure at contact, unless the other team has a similar balance or those distant players are particularly good / focus firing front-line opponents.

In my experience, there are grind Syms and not-grind Syms:

Grind Syms set up turrets on the point and are pretty helpful when a genji/tracer is running around (no more than a Winston, though). However, if their turrets are frequently destroyed (by a breeze), they spend more time putting them back up than fighting. I have died many times next to and defending a friendly grind Sym who was preparing for a battle we would never live to see, preparations that would be destroyed quickly after our deaths, while focus firing with me, or playing a more appropriate hero, would have saved our lives.

Not-grind Syms are either more timid (like a bad hanzo) or more reckless (like a knockoff tracer), they like to put up turrets in areas with potential, like narrow passageways, flank routes, health packs, and use them like an early warning system. This also means their firepower is spread out and less effective. They rarely get on the objective, and usually get killed far from the pack trying to reset one of their turrets. Repeatedly watching a Sym from death-cam setting up turrets around the point and failing to contest it in overtime has made me very salty.

Finally, both of these situations assume that the Sym has had some amount of time and safety to initially set up those turrets, i.e. defense. If the team is trying to gain ground, instead of defend it, the Sym has to choose between fighting and setting up turrets in static locations that may not be relevant in ten seconds. Either way, they are not contributing the full extent of their admittedly potent but extremely short-range damage. It's also rare to be re-shielded mid fight.

Are there exceptions to this? Absolutely, depending on the player, the opponents, and the map. I've gone against some annoyingly good Symmetras who exploited weaknesses in our team comp and approach. But I think that players that have the game sense to play Symmetra *well* also know when they can contribute more with a more versatile hero. And more often than not, I see Sym being played in the absolutely incorrect context because SYM MAIN.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • BUFF SYMMETRA PLEASE
  • Well yeah, which is why it's weird when I get gold eliminations, damage and POTG playing the weakest character in the game. (Although when you're fully charged you can drop a full health soldier, 200hp, in under a second).

I've mostly been playing Winston and Tracer to get a feeling for dive and harass characters. Against bad teams they hardly see the objective.

I only realised last night whey Tracer wears a bomber jacket after getting a bunch of pulse bomb wins. Getting a Zarya ult with Tracer is super effective.
  • sK0pe said:

I only realised last night whey Tracer wears a bomber jacket after getting a bunch of pulse bomb wins. Getting a Zarya ult with Tracer is super effective.

Uh, isn't it because she was a fighter pilot?

• Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Uh, isn't it because she was a fighter pilot?

I have no idea.
  • Yeah I honestly don't even know where people learn the lore other than fan wikis. I've seen the videos and comics and it's not in there.
  • I can confirm she is a fighter pilot from digging through lore.
  • The lore's literally on the character profile pages on the official website.
  • This would fetch a sizable sum from some.
  • She was a fighter pilot that was testing a prototype jet that went super fast and she basically go separated between dimensions. So she was kinda like a ghost. Then Winston created her chest device thing which tethers her body into this dimension but lets her access other dimensions which is why she can accelerate time.
  • MATATAT said:

She was a fighter pilot that was testing a prototype jet that went super fast and she basically go separated between dimensions. So she was kinda like a ghost. Then Winston created her chest device thing which tethers her body into this dimension but lets her access other dimensions which is why she can accelerate time.

You're right except for the dimension thing. She got lost in time.

Also, got to play some Sombra QP today. She plays a lot like a more mobile (due to her E) Tracer: 76. Her ult basically requires team co-ordination, though.
  • edited November 2016
    Hey, if any of you main mercy (your great sacrifice and patience is appreciated): if your team has gone down, except for a lone Zarya fighting the good fight, and you have rez, Please Don't Wait For Her To Drop before flying in. Why? Because that laser charge is hard-won and a live Zarya is MUCH stronger than a zombie Zarya. This is why I prefer playing with non-mercy healers -- because that sustain is worth it.
  • Noted. I should be on tonight.
  • I will be on tonight.

If we get 3, let's do the 3v3. ;)
  • Rym said:

I will be on tonight.

If we get 3, let's do the 3v3. ;)

I should be on.
  • Korean Overwatch is best overwatch.

Bonus for Hanjo play.
  • Pharah is quite nice with the buff. Hardly ever have to land.
  • Mystery Duels is intense, and if you're not playing it, you're missing out an a surprisingly awesome experience.
  • My favorite matches are:

Torb
    Widowmaker

• Rym said:

My favorite matches are:

Torb
    Widowmaker

I have yet to lose a widow match which is hilarious to me because I don't play her.
  • Rym said:

My favorite matches are:

Torb
    Widowmaker

I have yet to lose a widow match which is hilarious to me because I don't play her.
    I think almost no one plays her: good Widows are pretty rare.

I have a crazy good 1v1 record. I usually win 5 in a row against very high level people. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

I've won 100% of my Torb, Widow, and Bastion duels.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

My favorite matches are:

Torb
    Widowmaker

I think almost no one plays her: good Widows are pretty rare.

I have a crazy good 1v1 record. I usually win 5 in a row against very high level people. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

I've won 100% of my Torb, Widow, and Bastion duels.
    My favorite moment is still the guy who was like "I main Genji" and then I beat him.
  • My favourite's are Widow and Tracer.
    I've also encountered that it's relatively easy to beat people who've played way more than me.
  • It's an entirely different skill toolkit. It relies far more on psychology and map awareness than other modes.
  • I tried to learn how to play Tracer while studying -
    I had some epic fails when learning how close I can get to different characters safely, how to take out tanks vs others, proper use of the pulse bomb (and how the projectile moves). Optimal use of recall was helpful to learn. Many times its just worth using it on a single character if it removes them from the map so they can't synchronise their spawn.
    Also Tracer vs Tracer taught me how important headshots are against all characters.

Neito said:

It's an entirely different skill toolkit. It relies far more on psychology and map awareness than other modes.

Wait don't you play Overwatch team modes with the same skills?
    I totally depend on map awareness and try to predict what the expected behaviour is of the player(s) that I'm going up against.

The difference is you can't run back to your healer or a health pack so it boils down to how many 1v1s play out in the middle of a group game.
  • Overwatch keeps buffing my favorite character and I don't know why, but I'll gladly take it. Maybe this was also just a bit of luck and playing against an uncoordinated team in quick play but still.

• edited November 2016
    Yeah, I've actually been playing way more DVa since the patch. I'm liking her as a defensive off-tank in the way I like Zarya as an offensive off-tank. She's useful against pharah, and she's great for counter-pushing the offensive to attack their supports.
  • D.Va is definitely the replacement for Reinhardt now, I'd rather have 2 damage tanks than a Reinhardt as my tank considering how easily the shield gets taken out by D.Va plus buffed Soldier
  • Reins are still very useful in clearing out a payload or holding a chokepoint.

But in light of buffed D.Va/Pharah and Sombra's existence, Reins have to be much more active. It is now a dynamic and difficult role.

So I'd say Rein is just as useful as he always was, but the skill required to achieve that is higher.