This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics We'd Like Rym and Scott to Review

Comments

• edited October 2007
    However, I must agree. While it is still good, the newer volumes are not as good as it was in the beginning.My brain must be malfunctioning then, because I like the series as a whole, not distinguishing any particular part from the other. What are the parts that aren't so hot?
    I started feeling the fall once they revealed the catalyst for the disappearance.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I started feeling the fall once they reveled the catalyst for the disappearance.
    I don't think we know the whole truth about it yet, though. At least not in the trades.
  • I started feeling the fall once they reveled the catalyst for the disappearance.I don't think we know the whole truth about it yet, though. At least not in the trades.I concur with Scott.
  • I'm reading from trades also. Wasn't the doctor stuff in Japan (trying to be vague and not to spoil) the catalyst? I totally began zoning out reading that section.
  • I'm reading from trades also. Wasn't the doctor stuff in Japan (trying to be vague and not to spoil) the catalyst? I totally began zoning out reading that section.
    So far yes, but it could easily be turned around. I remain skeptical.
  • The Goon is a terrific book. There are no underwear perverts - just tough guys wearing hats, old school crime, and zombies.
  • Cerebus the Aardvark is a strange epic indie comic book. There are no underwear perverts, rather there is a misanthropic bipedal aardvark. This book starts off as a Conan parody but soon it begins to talk of many deeper issue. An example being Cerebus becomes the pope of one of the churches. There are 16 trades more akin to phonebooks than trades each ranging from 200 to 600 pages for about $20.00 to $30.00 on amazon. Just be-careful if you read it the first trade is nothing like the rest of the 300 issue epic. I personally believe that this is a comic that would be right up Rym's ally.
  • Cerebus the Aardvarkis a strange epic indie comic book.
    I own, and have read, the first two trades. Personally, I highly respect the craftsmanship of these books. Despite that, I found the first Conan volume very enjoyable, and the second was just painful to read. It's a lot like Citizen Kane where the craftsmanship is great, but the entertainment value is not as high. Rym should read it at some point, though.
  • Rym needs to read more comics, damn!

One of the great things about hanging around with Scott is that he has good taste in comics. I like to leech off him and borrow his Vertigo trades. He has a lot of the comics you mentioned, and it is sad that I read some of them before Rym does. If nothing else Rym should read Maus. I keep telling him what a masterpiece it is. You just have to stay as far away from men-in-tights as possible and then maybe you have a chance of convincing Rym to pick up an American comic. (He likes indie stuff like Scott Pilgrim and the stuff that you can buy at the MoCCA festival.) And also: When I finished Pride of Bagdad, I cryed one of those nice exhilarating cries. Except it was on the train so I had to do it quietly. Man.
  • Idea for the next comic show (First an anime and manga wednesday first though), Scott and Emily talk/rant about a comic. :D
  • I see Transmet and Fell have been mentioned here, How about some love for Global Frequency? The subject matter is X-files-ish, but I like the idea of self-organising vigilante flash mobs.
  • I see Transmet and Fell have been mentioned here, How about some love forGlobal Frequency? The subject matter is X-files-ish, but I like the idea of self-organising vigilante flash mobs.
    That's one I actually haven't heard of.
  • I know you both are guys, but could you guys review some shojo.

Big O would be nice, too!
  • The Flight anthologies.
  • Maus! Yes! No one's worth to describe that one, but if you try you'll probably get some more people to read it, yay!
    In my last year at uni I did my "Representing the Holocaust" essay on Maus, turned out to be my best mark but unfortunately I never got around to getting the essay back and I don't have it anymore. Brilliant book that somehow manages to be witty at the same time as covering the Holocaust ( much like Life is Beautiful). Have you read "In the Shadow of No Towers"? That is also an awesome piece of work but in a totally different way.
  • I think Zenozoic Tales would be a good choice. Good Mark Schultz art and a great setting. Might have to resort to the internet to find all the back issues(14).

A great series that I really miss and think it would be a good show idea.
  • I think "Nextwave" would be a great one. It is a parody of Superhero comics done by the very business that makes them. On top of that it is just a lot of fun to read.
  • I think "Nextwave" would be a great one. It is a parody of Superhero comics done by the very business that makes them. On top of that it is just a lot of fun to read.
    I've only read a bit of Nextwave (what kind of Ellis fanboy am I?) but the art is BEAUTIFUL. It makes me want to cry in frustration.
  • I just finished Super Spy from Top Shelf, I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.
  • I just finished Super Spy from Top Shelf, I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.
    Didn't we do that already?
  • edited April 2008
    I just finished Super Spy from Top Shelf, I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.
    Didn't we do that already?
    You did? I'll go check that out right this minute. I keep forgetting that it was re-solicited in the Previews I ordered it from recently. Sorry.
    Post edited by sime on
  • My Faith in Frankie and Subculture.
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    How about Tom of Finland: The Comic Collection? It might attract new listeners. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • How aboutTom of Finland: The Comic Collection? It might attract new listeners. :)
    Oh god.
  • Have you guys done We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely? That's a good one. Good, touching story, great art, and some really inventive panel layouts.
  • Epileptic by David B. and Tricked by Alex Robinson.
  • Epilepticby David B. andTrickedby Alex Robinson.
    I want to read all of that Alex Robinson / Top Shelf stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe next MoCCA Arts Festival.
  • (moved from other post)

I don't normally make requests, but I generally trust the opinions on comics from Rym and Scott. Here's some that I thought might be interesting that could be worth a review:

Ascend

Infex

Locke & Key (Couldn't find a homepage, so went to a review instead.)

I've heard that the art is pretty spectacular in the first two, and the story is at least "very good" in all three.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd really like to see you guys cover The Boys by Garth Ennis and Derek Robertson. A friend turned me onto it and I really like the concept, but I've only read the first volume.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'd really like to see you guys coverThe Boysby Garth Ennis and Derek Robertson. A friend turned me onto it and I really like the concept, but I've only read the first volume.
    I have, and have read, volume 2, and I'm ordering volume 3 this month. We'll review it in time, for now all I can say is that it is awesome.