This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

History that should be remembered but generally isn't...

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
So, I've got a project for school where I have to make a memorial about something, and Google wasn't helping much, so I ask the community: what is the most important thing that usually gets left out? What gets glossed over by WWII, the JFK assassination, etc.?

Comments

• Humans tend to look at the bad things that have happened on the past. I recommend to look the good things that have happened around the world. Maybe the fall of the Berlin Wall? , If you want to show courage
  • edited April 2008
    Fucking Nazis didn't only take over most of Europe, they also took over most every grade school History and English class in America.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Maybe the fall of the Berlin Wall?
    That's what first came to my dad's mind, but it already gets quite a lot of attention. I'll keep it in mind, but thanks for helping.
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    How about a memorial to Philo T. Farnsworth? :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Does this have to be American or recent history?

I would do one for the fall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire in 1453.
  • Hardly anyone is aware of the Armenian genocide, compared to other tragedies on a similar scale.
  • It could be interesting to do the Hungarian Revolution or the Franco-Prussian War. Or you could commemorate the reign of His Imperial Majesty Norton I, Emperor of these United States and Protector of Mexico.
  • It'd be nice if people were taught about the war of independence. It's something I'd have been interesting to know about something other than the world wars.
  • It could be interesting to do theHungarian Revolutionor theFranco-Prussian War
    Both were covered in fair detail in my ninth/tenth grade history classes. I remember the latter specifically studied as the precursor to the first world war. It toppled an ascendant French Empire and brought about true German unification.
  • How about the historically inaccurate account of Manhattan island being purchased for a handful of trinkets? The trinket sale involved a group of native Americans who had no claim to the land. The Dutch later had to purchase the island from the native Americans who owned it and they paid a lot for it.

May not be memorial material but it is history that should be known.
  • Omnutia, which war of independence?
  • The D-Day Dodgers, who fought in Italy but were slighted because they weren't at Normandy.

Dresden.

Andersonville.

Nanking.

The Potemkin.

The Katyn Massacre.
  • If you do anything about Germany/ the GDR I'd be happy to help!
    Fucking Nazis didn't only take over most of Europe, they also took over most every grade school History and English class in America.
    Imagine that times a thousand. That's history class in Germany.. ^_~
  • War of 1812 from what i Understand American schools don't even talk about it
  • War of 1812from what i Understand American schools don't even talk about it
    So why does America celebrate independance day?
  • edited April 2008
    War of 1812from what i Understand American schools don't even talk about it
    So why does America celebrate independance day?
    The war of 1812 wasn't our war of Independence, it was more us trying to keep our sovereignity.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • War of 1812from what I Understand American schools don't even talk about it
    Actually, we studied it pretty deeply. It was basically a stalemate between the US and Britain.
  • I wonder how the world would change if countries had to teach children only about wars they had lost.
  • edited April 2008
    I wonder how the world would change if countries had to teach children only about wars they had lost.
    Everyone would be French as they would think that they only lost.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited April 2008
    I-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-c-e.

Independence.

The American Revolutionary War was fought from 1776 to 1781. The War of 1812 was fought between the British and Americans as an offshoot of a war between the British and French. The Americans were angry about trade restrictions imposed by the British navy. Then the British navy started enslaving American sailors into service aboard their ships, and we got really, really pissed.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • The Quasi-War with France.
  • I-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-c-e.

Independence.
    Yes, that is how you spell it. So what? The British have screwed up plenty of countries.
  • From 1918 to 1920, the U.S. Army sent 15,000 troops to Murmansk, Archangel, and Vladivostok as part of an Allied force in opposition to the Bolsheviks.
  • A second vote for the Armenian genocide.
  • Thanks for all of the comments; surely I can find something in here.
  • I think the Armenian Genocide, Byzantine Empire, or the Russian Civil War would be good candidates. We don't cover those at all, and each of them are incredibly important. Of lesser importance is the Winter War, between Russia and Finland. It isn't taught in the United States, but it's pretty interesting as well.
  • It could be interesting to do theHungarian Revolutionor theFranco-Prussian War
    Both were covered in fair detail in my ninth/tenth grade history classes. I remember the latter specifically studied as the precursor to the first world war. It toppled an ascendant French Empire and brought about true German unification.
    Judging from this and the War of 1812 thing, you apparently had a really awesome history department. In my history classes, there was a paragraph about the Hungarian Revolt and a sentence about the Franco-Prussian War. I think the War of 1812 might have merited a couple pages, though.
  • I sometimes think people forget most of what they learn in High school history, I know for a fact we spent some time on almost all of the above topics.... Except of course the Armenian Genocide.
  • I sometimes think people forget most of what they learn in High school history, I know for a fact we spent some time on almost all of the above topics.... Except of course the Armenian Genocide.
    Ha, we just learned about that today.

I agree with you though.