This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Indiana Jones

edited May 2008 in Movies
With the fourth installment in this epic series to be released in exactly two weeks, I thought it was about time we had a thread about it. What do you all think about these movies, the TV show, the point and click adventure games, and every other facet of this series?

I believe that all and all (please don't kill me) the Indiana Jones trilogy is better than the Star Wars films. I love these movies to death and can't wait for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It also has the coolest ride ever.

Comments

• Indiana Jones 1 and 3 were amazing movies for all time. The trend suggests that even numbered movies will be bad, so I have low expectations.
  • Indiana Jones 1 and 3 were amazing movies for all time. The trend suggests that even numbered movies will be bad, so I have low expectations.
    Scott is rocking the numerology.
    Scott is rocking the numerology.
    Word!
  • edited May 2008
    What's wrong with Temple of Doom? That was one of my favorites because it came out when I was young and would watch it all the time.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I would have to agree that the second wasn't the quite up to par with 1 and 3, but it was still of a higher quality than most other movies. It also had some really quotable lines, such as "Drop the stones, Dr. Jones" which I actually use on a somewhat regular basis.
  • edited May 2008
    Numerology is a death science to me, I prefer my modern alchemy.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Has anyone watched Young Indiana Jones? I have been leery to watch any of it because I have never really heard anything about it.
  • What's wrong with Temple of Doom?
    Doctor Jones! Doctor Jones!
  • Young Indiana Jones was one of the best television shows from my youth. Watch it. Watch it now.
  • Wasn't Temple of Doom put out around the same time Lucas screwed up Star Wars by releasing Return of the Jedi? Wasn't Lucas involved in both movies?

Raiders and Empire Strikes back were both awesome. Return and Temple both sucked because they threw in spunky kid/Ewoks for some unknown reason.
  • I prefer Last Crusade. >_>

Then again, I completely forgot what happened in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I'll probably need to watch it again soon.
  • As much as I wanted to hate the new film, seeing the trailer in theaters got me tingling. I too agree that Temple of Doom wasn't terrible, just not good compared to the others.
  • edited May 2008
    Indiana Jones 1 and 3 were amazing movies for all time. The trend suggests that even numbered movies will be bad, so I have low expectations.
    How is that a trend?

Also: No time for romance Dr. Jones.
    I agree, Temple of Doom was mediocre at best, but Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Last Crusade were awesome.
    I'm looking forward to the new one, although the recent sequelities that washed over Hollywood is really getting on my nerves.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Wasn't Temple of Doom put out around the same time Lucas screwed up Star Wars by releasing Return of the Jedi? Wasn't Lucas involved in both movies?
    Return of the Jedi is awesome, you suck.
  • Doctor Jones! Doctor Jones!
    No time for romance Dr. Jones.
    Short Round wasn't the greatest, however I thought he was amusing. Plus in Temple of Doom, watching the scene where Mola Ram take out that guy's heart with his bare hands is pretty cool and freaky shit, especially when you're a child. Not to mention the whole dinner scene with the Snake Surprise, steamed beetles, eye soup, and chilled monkey brains, I never forgot that.
    You have never being more right!
    My rebuttal:

Ewoks
    Boba Fett
  • The reason 'Temple of Doom' wasn't as good as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is because Lucas and Spielberg traded off directing and producing. 'Raiders' and 'Last Crusade' were directed by Steven, 'Temple' was directed by George who, I'm sure we can all admit judging from his track record, is an awesome producer but lacking as a director.
    My rebuttal:

Ewoks
    Boba Fett
    Boba Fett is super awesome. Ewoks are also awesome, but I can understand why they are not liked. The Ewoks cartoon is terrible!
  • Who here remembers the old point and click adventure game for Indiana Jones? That is the only point and click adventure game I remember playing for any extent of time and it was quite the awesome, of course I was five when I played it and didn't even know who Indiana Jones was but that is besides the point. I wonder how good it would be if I played it now.
  • I got it for ScummVM but never played it because I got like 10 Lucas Arts Adventures at the same time.
  • They're bringing back Marion Ravenwood, one of my favorite pulp heroines, which is a step in the right direction.
  • Who here remembers the old point and click adventure game for Indiana Jones? That is the only point and click adventure game I remember playing for any extent of time and it was quite the awesome, of course I was five when I played it and didn't even know who Indiana Jones was but that is besides the point. I wonder how good it would be if I played it now.
    I used to have the one for the Atari 2600. Those darn Tsetse Flies!!!!
  • This looks like just another National Treasure ripoff anyway.
  • This looks like just another National Treasure ripoff anyway.
    This post was brought to you by the people that say Lord of the Rings ripped off D&D; and that Warhammer 40k ripped off Starcraft.
  • Boba Fett is super awesome. Ewoks are also awesome, but I can understand why they are not liked. The Ewoks cartoon is terrible!
    Rebuttal: Boba Fett got owned by a half-blind Han Solo who was waving around a stick and the Ewoks were nothing but annoying Muppets. Jedi was good, but if Lucas had wanted the movie to really kick major ass he would have made it the battle of Kashyyyk and shown us a wookie rebellion. As for Boba Fett, I'm sorry, but the legions of fanboys who whined until he got retconned out of the sarlacc pit need to get over themselves. He wasn't that cool.

Back on track: I'm all for the fourth Indy movie. I just spent the last couple weeks re-reading the entire series of "Indiana Jones and the [insert subtitle here]" novels, all 12 of them, to get myself back in the mood for some good adventure movie fun. Sure, they're not high literature, but they make for good, light, pulp reading. I'm not going to be going into the movie expecting something on the quality of the first or third ones, but I'm still expecting some decent action.
  • The Sarlacc is awesome.
  • This post was brought to you by the people that say Lord of the Rings ripped off D&D; and that Warhammer 40k ripped off Starcraft.
    You must read between the lines of my post.
  • I've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies... (I haven't seen more than 20 minutes of the first Alien movie, and none of the other Aliens and/or Predator films.) I plan on rectifying this in the near future.
  • edited May 2008
    (I haven't seen more than 20 minutes of the first Alien movie, and none of the other Aliens and/or Predator films.) I plan on rectifying this in the near future.
    The only Alien/Predator movies worth watching are Aliens and Predator. Predator is reasonably good. Aliens is just about perfect. The others are very crappy, especially the Aliens v. Predator abominations.

Back on topic: I hope the new Indy movie brings hats back in style. I want hats to come back in a big way.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on