This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Indiana Jones

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Back on topic: I hope the new Indy movie brings hats back in style. I want hats to come back in a big way.
    Hats are totally in style. You just have to have the total package, you can't just wear a t-shirt and jeans and a crazy, whimsical hat. The hat needs to be a part of the look, not separate from it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What's wrong with Temple of Doom? That was one of my favorites because it came out when I was young and would watch it all the time.
    I think the main reason it is not as good as the other two films is that it has a much darker tone.
  • I think the main reason it is not as good as the other two films is that it has a much darker tone.
    And?
  • Who here remembers the old point and click adventure game for Indiana Jones? That is the only point and click adventure game I remember playing for any extent of time and it was quite the awesome, of course I was five when I played it and didn't even know who Indiana Jones was but that is besides the point. I wonder how good it would be if I played it now.
    There was a couple of them. The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game was forgettable, but Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was one of the best Lucasarts adventure games ever.
  • edited May 2008
    Indiana Jones games:
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark (Atari 2600, 1982)
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Arcade, 1985)
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (released as both a pretty crappy action game and a fairly decent adventure game for most PCs back in 1989, also released as the action game by Taito on the NES in '91)
    • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC, 1992 - adventure game)
    • Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures (SNES, 1994 - action game, encompassed all three movies)
    • Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures (PC/Mac, 1996 - top-down action/adventure game)
    • Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (PC, 1999 - N64, 2000 - GBC, 2001)
    • Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Xbox/PC/PS2/Mac, 2003)
    I've played the arcade game (ahh, memories of the arcade), both versions of the last Crusade (the adventure game was far superior), and Fate of Atlantis (which beat out the Last Crusade adventure game as far as superiority goes.) If I had to hazard a guess, I'd be willing to bet that the SNES game was as much of a bitch to play as its Star Wars brethren. I may have to look that ROM up and dust off my copy of Snes9X.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Just got back from watching the movie, midnight showings for the win, and it is...sub par to say the least.

A few entertaining scenes were not enough to combat all of the bad parts.

Such as- The nuke going off at the beginning, either Jones would have been liquefied from the heat of the blast or from the speed that the refrigerator was going when it hit something. Those guardian ninjas, ewoks much? How the hell did Ox get the skull, go all the way to the temple, and go all the way back without getting attacked by the guardian ninjas at the graveyard? Why did the Soviet chick's eyes light on fire? The Tarzan scene and those monkeys. Why did the CIA/FBI disappear after the beginning, Jones is a of grave importance to them considering they think he is a Soviet spy.

And that is but a few of the horrendous portions of this film.

If you are willing to suspend disbelief then this movie could be enjoyable, however when stacked against the previous Indiana Jones films it is sub par at best and a pile of vomit at worst.

I would also like to note that this film had both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas on staff, is it just me or is every movie that they have done together been utter crap? Perhaps the South Park guys saw something the rest of us didn't when they did the Raiders of the Lost Ark parody.
  • I really liked the movie. It was fun and I found the story to be interesting for the majority and the performances were good. Now onto Tenhauser's points: I really don't have an explanation for the nuke scene as I really did not think about it too much, I think the guardian ninjas might have not been there when Ox got the skull (maybe), the Tarzan scene was pretty stupid and with the final scene showing that every thing turned out okay I think showing the FBI agents would be a bit superfluous (it is most likely a deleted scene.)All and all, I liked it. I think it was better than Temple of Doom and slightly below Last Crusade. Nothing can touch the pinnacle that is Raiders, though.
  • I would also like to note that this film had both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas on staff, is it just me or is every movie that they have done together been utter crap?
    Counterpoints one and two.
  • I thought the movies was alright. Lots of good fist fights. Some weird after tastes of 2001 and Close Encounters. Watchable but not something I would suggest people rushing the theaters to see.
  • I thought it was exciting but the plot was not good at all, I give it a C rating.
  • It was shit.
  • It was shit.
    Not a bad assessment.
  • edited May 2008
    A nerd's take on the first Indy games.
    I may go and see the movie over the weekend.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • I loved it.

There was the same energy and fun that made Raiders and Last Crusade great movies, and I think we can put this up there with those two.

Also, as expected, people are comparing this only to its predecessors and not its contemporary rivals at the cinemas. Remember Iron Man? Everybody was raving about that a couple of weeks ago (including me), but this surely blows it out of the water. Best movie I've seen in the cinema since There Will Be Blood.
  • The reason I liked Indiana Jones movies was because it combined that treasure hunter type genre with just enough supernatural for it to be all sorts of awesome. This one just took a nosedive into the "woooooooooooo nutjob" area. I wasn't impressed. As compared to it's predecessors, personally I would put it alongside if not a little below Temple of Doom. As far as contemporary rivals, to be honest I liked Iron Man more, even though I love Indiana Jones...
  • ToD suffered because it went out on a limb with its story. When you go from something like the Ark of the Covenant - a story a vast majority of people are aware of - to the mystery of the Shankara stones, you'll lose some people along the way. Spielberg/Lucas got them back with the Holy Grail in Indy 3. This time the story isn't as important because of the nostalgia factor.
  • edited May 2008
    This was the first Indiana Jones movie I've seen, and I thought it was terrible. While watching it I would notice all the times that stuff doesn't make any sense, but tell myself (and complaining friends next to me) "It's a mindless action movie. You have to come into it with the right mind set to enjoy it." But as soon as they threw in the "plot twist", there was just no way I could justify liking it. It was so close to being a good movie too...

Angry spoilerific rant:
    FUCK YOU Spielberg! Aliens? Why the fuck would you throw aliens in there? It is SO easy to change the plot that you had in that movie to make it awesome! Instead of it being the skull of an alien, make it the skull of a magical Mayan king. Everything about the show works, except for the bullshit 'aliens are taking off in their saucer to another dimension.' Also, they're in the middle of the fucking amazon with no car or way to communicate with anybody. Are we supposed to assume a 60 and 70 year old just make it back?

That being said, the action in the movie really makes me want to go back and watch some of the older ones. I guess it achieved at doing something other than wasting $6.50.
    Post edited by Usagimaru on
  • I was only angry at the fact that they put the freaking Nazca lines in Cuzco. People, the Nazca lines are located in Nazca, Ica.
  • Angry spoilerific rant:
    FUCK YOU Spielberg! Aliens? Why the fuck would you throw aliens in there? It is SO easy to change the plot that you had in that movie to make it awesome! Instead of it being the skull of an alien, make it the skull of a magical Mayan king. Everything about the show works, except for the bullshit 'aliens are taking off in their saucer to another dimension.' Also, they're in the middle of the fucking amazon with no car or way to communicate with anybody. Are we supposed to assume a 60 and 70 year old just make it back?
    Well, he was just talking the mythology of the crystal skull, and that was what it was about ...
  • Lego Indiana Jones. Funny stuff, right there.

• I was only angry at the fact that they put the freaking Nazca lines in Cuzco. People, the Nazca lines are located in Nazca, Ica.
    Actually... That's not the only think that you should be mad at. No one else will get the film's failure here but when they landed in Peru, they were clearly in Mexico. They showed Mexican culture and Mexican faces. If they did some research, which is so freaking easy to do now, they would have played Andean music, had a damper climate and threw in some llamas at least. I think it shows their lack of creative investment. I've seen that same "Mexico" scene so many times, if they actually showed authentic Peru, it would have been more original. Aside from that, this movie had really good moments then it had moments where it lost me. There was a couple of " wait a sec, what?!" moments.
  • Yeah, this movie sucked royally. There were a couple of scenes that I liked but they can't save this movie.

They really could've improved on the death scenes. I really wanted some face melting action.
  • It clearly didn't suck, but it could have been much better. I hate it when people say something sucked or was shit or something when they really mean it was disappointing. In most cases I would say those were the same things, but in this case the movie was not nearly as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, but it was far from an actually bad movie.
  • It made me really want to learn how to ride a motorcycle.
  • When my girlfriend and I moved to Berlin we checked out our cellar and found two motorcycles and a sidecar. And as they are old German machines they look EXACTLY like something out of Indiana Jones. Our dream is to one day pull them out and restore one of them, then go on a bike and sidecar tour. Meanwhile we get on with more realistic things like touring in our camper van, which is far more practical.
  • The most recent Multiplex about Indiana Jones made me giggle.

• There was a couple of " wait a sec, what?!" moments.
    There were more than a few for me... :(
  • It clearly didn't suck, but it could have been much better. I hate it when people say something sucked or was shit or something when they really mean it was disappointing.
    No, I really thought it sucked.
  • I think it was o.k. Not great, not awful. The highlight for me was the Janitor from Scrubs playing an FBI agent. Neil Flynn doesn't get enough work for how good of an actor he is.
  • I think it was o.k. Not great, not awful. The highlight for me was the Janitor from Scrubs playing an FBI agent. Neil Flynn doesn't get enough work for how good of an actor he is.
    KIMBLE! STOP!