This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your First Anime

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
I'm listening to the podcast and hearing the people on the panel tell about their first anime...

Damn I'm old!

I remember watching anime on TV (not cable) on a local channel that had 5 shows that rotated every day.

I recall watching (each on it's own day in the same time slot):

1) Battle of the Planets
2) Star Blazers
3) Not sure if it was Voltron, but it was similar.
4) Something where all the bad guys had horns in the middle of their heads.
5) Force-5 ???

Some of the above may describe the same show, It's been a looooong time.

I also watched Robotech when that was on TV...

Does anyone remember a weird TV show where the bad guys were half plant/half machine? The main "good" guy had half a seed hanging around his neck, a "gandalf" type character/sidekick and a Han Solo knock-off guy who owned the ship? They had a toy line...

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I Don't know about that, but my first anime was either speed racer or a weird soccer one which I don't remember.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Speed Racer. It was known as "that Japanese racing show where everyone dies."
  • edited August 2006
    4) Something where all the bad guys had horns in the middle of their heads.
    That would have been Gaiking. It was broadcast in the US via Canadian channels.
    Does anyone remember a weird TV show where the bad guys were half plant/half machine? The main "good" guy had half a seed hanging around his neck, a "gandalf" type character/sidekick and a Han Solo knock-off guy who owned the ship? They had a toy line...
    That would have been Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • I think the first anime I ever watched was Dragonball Z, since it was on really early in the morning when I was getting ready for elementary school
  • Technically I watched Transformers, Voltron and Thundercats before anything else. However, the first time I saw anime and knew the score was the sci-fi channel. I don't remember what I saw first, but I didn't really get into anime until they had an entire week of it. I was watching the week of Godzilla movies and they kept advertising that next week was all anime movies. I ended up seeing some Fatal Fury, something else forgettable, but most of all I saw the first two Galaxy Express 999 movies. Later I sought out Akira, which I had previously seen only 10 minutes of. Then it was all RIT Anime club for the win.
  • edited August 2006
    Doraemon! Also Onpon Man, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. (I was kinda brought up on Japanese children's shows in my house.)

I think I mentioned all this on the webcomic round table, though...
    Post edited by Aido on
  • First anime huh? That's sort of complicated.

There were Transformers and Voltron back when I was real young, but I didn't even know they were from Japan.

Then there was that Macross movie I saw with a friend when I was still youngish, since he was a bit of a Robotech fan - the one with the Zentradi idol. I sort of new that this had something to do with Japan and OMG he said "shit" in a cartoon.

Then there was Gall Force on Saturday Anime on the SciFi channel and the shows that came after it, and suddenly I was a self-identifying anime fan.
  • edited August 2006
    Believe it or not, Adventures of the Little Koala. It came on Nick around 87, I was 4. It is just about the first TV show I remember watching, other than Mr. Rodgers.

On second thought the show I am thinking about, I believe, is Noozles. They both aired during the same period and are somewhat related, you know, because of the koalas and all.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • Technically, my first anime were Transformers and Voltron, but I vaguely count those, since I didn't really know they were anime.

The first anime that I knew was an anime was The Lensman.
  • My first anime was probaly Bubblegum Crisis, then Fist of the Northstar and Devilman.... Did I mention I didn't initially like anime so much when I started watching ^_^. I didn't really get into Anime till I saw Record of the Lodoss War.

I remember distinctly catching random eposides of Neon Genesis and wondering if the mechs ever worked! ^_^
  • My first anime was the original Dragon Ball. When I used to get up fairly early on Saturdays as a kid, that was on one of the local network affilliate stations before the regular Saturday morning programming came on. Thought it looked different than what I was used to, I didn't think much of it at the time.

As for the first anime I knew was anime, that would be Dragon Ball Z which started running on US tv when I was in middle school.
  • edited September 2006
    My first anime that I can remember was Gundam Wing. I'm only 12, so yeah......>.<
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I loved Voltron and I watched DBZ and Pokemon (when it first started, good clean fun) but I count Gundam Wing as my first real anime because it was the first anime story I actually followed. That was the summer of my senior year in high school and it took up the midnight slot of Toonami.
  • Robotech and Dragon Ball were my first, though I remember I didn't call it anime until I saw a TIME magazine article about Princess Mononoke.
    Japanimation all the way!
    My mom would always ask why japanese people were obsessed with huge eyes.
    I also have distinct childhood memories of watching Ninja Scroll when I was a real young lad, though I can't remember the exact chronology for that.
  • edited September 2006
    Back in the day, I'd be watching a steady diet of Astro Boy, Star Blazers and Voltron.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think it was the Project A-ko movies. I don't remember the circumstances that brought them into my house (though I think my dad was behind it), but I saw them at a fairly young age and with only the vaguest conception of what anime was. In later years I'd also see Vampire Hunter D and Ghost in the Shell on the Sci-Fi channel.

I didn't start paying attention to the anime world until college and the RIT Anime Club, though.
  • edited August 2006
    Does Robotech count as anime? I mean it's an American production that rips-off 3 different anime shows... although I have to admit, I was a huge fan of Robotech at the time ^_^

I think my first taste of anime was Doraemon, possibly when I was around 6. However coming from a Chinese family, I assumed it was just Chinese cartoons (since they were dubbed in Cantonese). I assumed the same for the first Ghibli movies I saw ( My Neighbour Totoro, Lapute and Nausicaa), Gundam F90 and F91 and Dragon Ball. I think the first time I actually associated anime with Japan was at the age of 16 when I saw Ninja Scroll (the movie) and Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, which rekindled my interest in anime.

btw I don't care what Rym and Scott say about Gundam F91, they had the best mecha-designs out of all the Gundams. Damn the bastard producers for not making a full length show and effectively castrating what could have been a kickass Gundam series.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • btw I don't care what Rym and Scott say about Gundam F91, they had the best mecha-designs out of all the Gundams. Damn the bastard producers for not making a full length show and effectively castrating what could have been a kickass Gundam series.
    What? Why are you saying you don't care what we say? You seem to be agreeing with us entirely! I never said the mecha designs were bad. I don't think they are the best of all Gundams, but they are very good. Also, you seem to agree with us that F91 was a bad anime. Yes, it had potential, but almost doesn't count in anime.
  • btw I don't care what Rym and Scott say about Gundam F91, they had the best mecha-designs out of all the Gundams. Damn the bastard producers for not making a full length show and effectively castrating what could have been a kickass Gundam series.
    What? Why are you saying you don't care what we say? You seem to be agreeing with us entirely! I never said the mecha designs were bad. I don't think they are the best of all Gundams, but they are very good. Also, you seem to agree with us that F91 was a bad anime. Yes, it had potential, but almost doesn't count in anime.
    meh... I thought it was alright. Story wasn't fantastic, but I wasn't so bothered by it since it's only less than an hour and a half long.
  • Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro, Nihon Mukashi Banashi.
  • When I was ten or eleven years old (I'm twenty-one now,) I saw a commercial for a line of Sailor Moon dolls. I only ever saw it air twice, and had never even heard of the show before. But the character designs and artwork were so interesting and pretty (I didn't know what anime was at the time) that I got really excited and immediately looked up Sailor Moon in the TV guide to see if it was on television anywhere. Indeed it was - 5 AM on Fox. I got up to watch it once and then proceeded to do so every day until the station stopped airing it. Sharing it with my friends, just watching the show escalated into us devouring every ounce of information on Sailor Moon (and by extension, anime) that we could find, Sailor Moon sleepover parties, a huge collection of Sailor Moon paraphanalia, and a three-year run of a Sailor Moon club at school that involved us making club jewelery and transformation wands and maintaining a binder with tons of Sailor Moon artwork, screenshots, articles, and fanfics. It sounds crazy and obsessive, and it was, but such is the life of a preteen Moonie.

From there, I watched Project A-ko on the Sci-fi Channel, along with Vampire Hunter D. After getting an issue of Animerica, I saw some articles on Evangelion and Rayearth, and soon branched out into those. Also, luckily enough, the local comic book shop sold single issues of manga, so I got my hands on Gunsmith Cats, Tenchi Muyo, and Lodoss War. It only exploded from there, I'm afraid.

Learning about anime also got me interested in learning about Japan, though, and other cultures after that - and now I'm an anthropology major. I'm living proof that fangirls, given a little intellectual stimulation, can grow into something entirely less scary, and more productive. Whee!

On another note, it's interesting to see how the Moonie phenomenon is sort of dying out.

• On another note, it's interesting to see how the Moonie phenomenon is sort of dying out.
    lol... I was under the impression that the "Moonie phenomenon" was dead and buried.
  • For the most part, it is. But every once in awhile I find some people (like my cousin) who are still into it.
  • I saw Gigantor, Robotech, and Voltron all around the same time when I was a kid. It wasn't until I saw the same Sci-Fi channel Anime festival that Rym did (the one with Robot Carnival, Lensman, and Vampire Hunter D) that I started getting into it.
  • Does a guy playing an animetal version of the sailor moon theme completely count as the moonie phenomenon?

Note: As most people can tell, I enjoy a lot of anime music.
  • edited September 2006

On another note, it's interesting to see how the Moonie phenomenon is sort of dying out.
    Well, once they stop making anymore (or they start making Crap) it can only go on so long. It's like being obsessed with Cowboy bebop, you can only keep that up so long before it's old and busted ^_^ After that you still appreciate it but it's hard to be excited about something you've watched a 100 times ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited September 2006
    Besides the ones similar to Anime, my first was Ghost in the Shell.
    It was only when I worked in a comic store in Dublin that similar to Anime, my first was Ghost in the Shell.
    It was only when I really got into it, borrowing those old VHS tapes of Akira, Appleseed, Legend of the Four Kings, Wicked City etc. Great stuff
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Was it the movie or series?
  • I think that the very first anime that I saw with some dim knowledge that it was in fact anime was either Card Captor Sakura or Tenchi Muyo. Yeah...
  • Tenchi Muyo! was the first anime I ever purchased. I bought the original DVD box set. I still have it too.