This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Evangelion oddness

edited September 2006 in Anime
So I finally watched all of Evangelion for the first time, finishing the last episode last night. As I had been told, the ending was confusing and strange. I was told that the movie is a good replacement for those last few episodes and really clears things up. I watched it today and although it was more interesting to watch, there was still a problem:

It didn't help anything make sense at all.

For the sake of spoiler avoidance, can someone whisper to me some sort of explanation as to what ANY of that stuff meant?

*Edited to change to correct category*

Comments

• If you really want to find the meaning behind the movie, watch it while completely drunk. I kid you not it will make sense.
  • edited September 2006
    Here is some help. Have fun.

The short version is that both Gendo and SEAL are trying to Immanentize the Eschaton using the Evas. The basic idea is that they are trying to combine everyone into one giant supersoul where one person's strengths will compenstate for others weaknessess and all ascend to heaven together, or something like that. Maybe they're just trying to merge everyone together and there isn't any actual heaven involved.

But basically they disolve the walls between everyone's souls and everyone merges together, but then Shinji decides that its actually better for people to live as individuals and so the big soul glob in the sky breaks up and everyone starts to reform out of the LCL sea. There you are.
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • I love the series ending, the movie was animated in a really awesome way, but I was not able to find any deep meaning.
    The series ending is a littel deeper and at the same time simpler.

However, I believe we will see the true ending when the manga finishes. Just like FMA
  • Its been so long since I watched it but I know in the series' last few episodes there was a moment when, while sitting in a room with a group of friends, we all in unison shouted "What!" when the dr (the blonde one I can't remember her name) said a certain line that I won't repeat for those that haven't seen it but DUDE!

Then we watched the movies and it stopped making sense.
  • If you really want to find the meaning behind the movie, watch it while completely drunk. I kid you not it will make sense.
    I'm afraid this is the only option. Get tanked as hell!!