This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pixar Shorts and Feature-Length Films

edited June 2008 in Movies
With the new Disney-Pixar film, Wall-E, being released in a little over a week I wanted to find out what you think about the work that comes out of Pixar. I personally find it to be all high quality and that they haven't let me down ever. I think their highest quality movie is currently Ratatouille, with The Incredibles being a close second. As for their short works, I enjoyed Lifted, Geri's Game, and Luxo Jr.

Now what I consider to be their weakest film will cause some controversy. I thought their weakest was Finding Nemo. I love the movie to death, but I just didn't like it as much as their other works. I also think the oversaturization of Nemo at the Disney theme parks (Nemo update of the Living Seas, update of the Submarine voyage, a musical stage show, a roller coaster, and an attraction in which you can talk to Crush) also has influenced this.

Comments

• think their highest quality movie is currently Ratatouille, with The Incredibles being a close second.
    I'll go with the same two, but I'll reverse the order. I <3 me some Incredibles.
  • edited June 2008
    The Incredibles is my favourite by far, but I think Ratatouille was a much more interesting experience. The story was just so different from anything I have seen in an animated film and the animation was absolutely awe-inspiring.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I'm excited for Wall-E. I own all the Pixar films except the shorts only DVD. For my favorites it's either Toy Story 1 & 2 or Bug's Life. It's the voice actors in those movies that did it for me.
  • Oh man, A Bug's Life is definitely a Pixar movie that doesn't get much love. The sound design in it was astounding, and the idea of the grasshoppers being a biker gang was brilliant.
  • Another thing about Pixar that made it even more awesome: they had out-takes.
  • They haven't been doing that anymore, which really sucks.
  • I really like Pixar, yet I've barely seen any of the movies. I've only seen the early shorts, like Luxo, and the original Toy Story.
  • edited June 2008
    I think you will really like Wall-E, it has been called "R2D2- the Movie."
  • edited June 2008
    I am a major Pixar fanatic. Hey you guys, stay for the Wall-e credits and when the name Lou Hamou-Ladij comes on (I think the credit is background character supervision or something) you gotta make a lot of noise! He is my friend from college. As for the movies I like, I think my favorite is Ratatouille, but I like stuff about all of the other ones as well (The Incredibles is great, especially Brad Bird doing Edna Mode voice.) And you want a sure fire way to make me cry? Show me the scene "When she loved me" from the second Toy Story. (The girl's name is Emily! And then I remember putting my toys in the attic and growing up and...and *sniff*)
    I really like Pixar, yet I've barely seen any of the movies.
    I can fix that. I was like "siddown Rym, we're watching us some Pixar.
    Another thing about Pixar that made it even more awesome: they had out-takes.
    I know! This never ceases to crack me up. Outtakes in an animated film!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • "When she loved me" from the second Toy Story.
    That made me cry too and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
    I can fix that.
    You definitely need to.
  • Toy Story was the first film I saw in the cinema, therefore it's my favorite. Although, I have been highly anticipating WALL-E and it may replace Toy Story.
  • I've only seen a few Pixar films, but I really loved the Incredibles. I have to say, I have soured a bit on animation lately, in particular 3D animation. I am sure in a year or two I will sit down and watch all the stuff I've missed. Despite my souring on the particular medium, I am going to see Wall-E. The more trailers I see for it, the less interested I become, but my initial enthusiasm for the film has been wiped out yet.
  • edited June 2008
    I have to say, I have soured a bit on animation lately, in particular 3D animation.
    RAAAAOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR! (I hit you I hit you)
  • What will Pixar do when John Ratzenberger dies?
  • I love Pixar and Disney so much that I want to work for them someday. Its reaching pretty high, but maybe I'll get there before I retire.
  • They will have to break the Ratzenberger Rule I guess...
  • I love Pixar and Disney so much that I want to work for them someday. Its reaching pretty high, but maybe I'll get there before I retire.
    As what? They have so many departments, that depending on your specialty it's not out of the realm at all.
  • The Rat one was good but felt really long. Cars sucked (answer to all life's problems: buy stuff). Incredibles is my favourite and it rocks HARD... but I've only seen it once. Nemo... ok I guess. Monsters Inc was good but I found it they concentrated too much on hair texture and not enough on story. Toy Story 2 was good but not as engaging as the first. A Bugs Life was almost completely forgettable compared to Antz. Toy Story was real good, and out of all of them the one I've seen the most and would be happiest watching again. The magic of Toy Story doesn't get old, and out of all the movies it has the best lines, the best characters and one of the best stories.

As for the out takes, they were funny for about three clips in the first movie. After that it just felt contrived as it was pretty much the same joke playing over and over. I much preferred the musical at the end of Monsters Inc.
  • As good as their recent films have been, I have to say Toy Story is definitely my favorite Pixar movie. I was in love with it as a kid, and I still get a lot of enjoyment from watching it in recent years. Pixar is by far my king of 3D animation, and I really can't wait to see Wall-E.
  • I have to say, I have soured a bit on animation lately, in particular 3D animation.
    RAAAAOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR!(I hit you I hit you)
    It isn't that I don't enjoy animation in general, I have just been overloaded a bit. I also find the "glossy" look of most 3D animation a bit tiresome at this point in time. Like I said, it is just not my thing at this moment, not a permanent swearing off.
    Why the roaring and hitting? I still love you, Emily, and I would be super excited to see something you created because I love and support you!
  • edited June 2008
    And you want a sure fire way to make me cry? Show me the scene "When she loved me" from the second Toy Story. (The girl's name is Emily! And then I remember putting my toys in the attic and growing up and...and *sniff*)
    That's my favorite scene from Toy Story 2. It always make me tear up.

I loved Ratatouille a lot and it beats the Incredibles in my Pixar favorites. Both of the Toy Story's remain my top favorite. Those are my top 4.

Monsters Inc., Bug's Life and Finding Nemo were good but didn't capture me like the one I listed above. I also didn't like Cars at all.

I actually am not interested in seeing Wall-E. I'll wait until it's on demand. I'm waiting for Toy Story 3.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Cars looked retarded, I didn't even see it. I mean, seriously, Larry the Cable Guy?
  • edited June 2008
    Toy Story 3
    Don't hold your breath, it's not coming out until 2010.
    I actually am not interested in seeing Wall-E.
    Why don't you want to see Wall-E? It looks like it is going to be very good, and an amazing experiment. An animated film in which neither of the main characters actually speak any words, and the only people who do are very small roles.
    Cars looked retarded, I didn't even see it. I mean, seriously, Larry the Cable Guy?
    Cars was actually a very heart-warming movie, and it was by far the best thing Larry the Cable Guy has ever done. I hate him with a bitter passion, but I really can't see anyone else playing the character of Mater.
  • I mean, seriously, Larry the Cable Guy?
    Yeah. Cars is like the red headed step child of Pixar that shall not be talked about anymore. The only thing I enjoyed about that movie was Cheech Marin as Ramone and Tony Shaloub as Luigi along with his silent countepart.
  • Despite what you may say about Cars, it was a much better movie than Happy Feet.
  • Despite what you may say about Cars, it was a much better movie than Happy Feet.
    Happy Feet was just an environmentalist propaganda film promoted as a kids movie. I almost walked out half way through that one.
  • A reason why WALL-E looks so good.
    Roger Deakins for the win! Before this news, this film was 2nd on my "Must See Summer Movie" list, but that news knocked the Dark Knight down a peg.
  • edited June 2008
    They made a shit ton of penguin films around that time. Overkill.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited June 2008
    environmentalist propaganda film promoted as a kids movie
    But that wasn't why it was bad. It was bad because it was corny.

However, I did like the line "Remember Dumplings, I know where you live."