This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

edited July 2008
    Strike Witches - I...might watch this.
    World war II plane girls without pants or skirts (save for the Russian one) fighting aliens with swords! Also, panty shots filling up more than 90% of the screen at times! And I think they all got or have tails at some point, possibly after some 'wicked' transformation.
    It reminds me of a more shoujo manga version of Mushishi.
    That's a very good way to describe it actually. o.o
    Post edited by ... on
  • World war II plane girls without pants or skirts (save for the Russian one) fighting aliens with swords! Also, panty shots filling up more than 90% of the screen at times! And I think they all got or have tails at some point, possibly after some 'wicked' transformation.
    Wait, I know that their uniforms don't have pants, because of the machines on their legs, but I thought it was more like "uniform leotards" instead of gratuitous panty shots. I thought they were based off the Humikane mecha musume figure designs which I think are hella cute.
  • edited July 2008
    Looks like I'll have to check out Natsume, then. I haven't been picking up too much this season, as I'm already watching and re-watching several other shows right now, but I think I might have room for at least one more.

Currently on my agenda from summer '08: Slayers Revolution, Antique Bakery, and Gurren Lagann Parallel Works (GurrePara for short).

Slayers I'm watching out of nostalgia and a desire to see all the old characters in crisp digital animation. I'm hoping that it will follow in the tradition of the previous three series and start to pick up more steam after the first few episodes (which have been just kind of okay so far). Until then, the opening and ending themes are both exactly what I wanted (major love for Slayers music!), and the new mascot character, Pokota, is probably the most amusing and interesting part of the show so far.

I didn't expect to like Antique Bakery that much, but I watched it thanks to recommendations for the manga received from a couple of friends. I was surprisingly delighted while watching the first episode, and I think I'll continue with it (even though the animation is kind of weird). If nothing else, it's a noitaminA show, which usually indicates pretty good quality.

The GurrePara videos are actually not all that spectacular to me so far (save chapter 3, which was very artistic and had an awesome kind of Champloo/Bebop vibe going), but they're at least fun enough to watch for the three or four minutes that they last. That and they of course remind me of all the awesome things in the original series. Man, I can't wait for that first sub DVD set to get to my mailbox...

I tried out Chocolate Underground for about three episodes, but I just didn't like the execution, so I dropped it. I think I would probably like the original book or BBC miniseries more, since I think the basic premise sounds great for a kids' story. However, the anime version just seems too... anime-ish, if that makes any sense. Any sort of charm that you might expect out of an over-the-top, Roald Dahl-esque idea like this just seems lost, instead replaced with cliched anime dialogue and an approach to the story that takes things far too seriously. :/
    Post edited by Eryn on
    edited July 2008
    World war II plane girls without pants or skirts (save for the Russian one) fighting aliens with swords! Also, panty shots filling up more than 90% of the screen at times! And I think they all got or have tails at some point, possibly after some 'wicked' transformation.
    Wait, I know that their uniforms don't have pants, because of the machines on their legs, but I thought it was more like "uniform leotards" instead of gratuitous panty shots. I thought they were based off the Humikane mecha musume figure designs which I think are hella cute.
    No, they're panties. Though the two Japanese girls wear swimsuits underneath their shirt. Here's a nice rundown of several things, amongst many, that makes this show horrible.

Ooooh, look what I found! Awesome chart of Summer Anime 2008!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Everything that isn't Batman or Cobra looks like shit.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot that Cobra was coming out late in the season. Will have to look at that one too.
  • New Gurren-Lagann? How have I not heard about this!?
  • edited July 2008
    New School Rumble? Man, I have not watch new anime in such a long time. And Ikitousen is just bad :(
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited July 2008
    I can't find the new Gurren-Lagaan anywhere. This makes me sad. Wait a minute, they're just music videos? You can't have a Gurren-Lagaan show without any sort of yelling and dramatic posturing! I am very disappointed!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    edited July 2008
    You can't have a Gurren-Lagaan show without any sort of yelling and dramatic posturing! I am very disappointed!
    Obviously you haven't watched them (all) yet.

And what do you expect from a parallel work alongside Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Okay, so the Samurai one was really creepy, the fantasy and cowboy ones were awesome, and the pachinko one was hilarious. There is promise in this show, it's just not what I expected.
  • Okay, so the Samurai one was really creepy, the fantasy and cowboy ones were awesome, and the pachinko one was hilarious. There is promise in this show, it's just not what I expected.
    It's not a show. Note how it's not put in the Summer 2008 anime chart. It's a collection of short animations from animators at Gainax about Gurren Lagann. And yes, the samurai one was... weird, and confusing, though the art was good.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm following Zero no Tsukaima season 3 after my friend gave me the first two seasons. So far, I've seen the first two eps, and it's kinda meh. I don't really like waiting for anime, but I guess this is the only way to do it. I'm still not sure if I should watch any other anime.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm following Zero no Tsukaima season 3 after my friend gave me the first 2 seasons. So far i've seen the first 2 eps and its kinda meh. I don't really like waiting for anime but I guess this is the only way to do it. I'm still not sure if I should watch any other anime.
    Depends. So you liked the first two seasons of ZnT? What do you like in your anime? Many other fanservice junk this season, though mostly involve fighting.
  • Anyone watch World Destruction at all? How's that looking?
  • Anyone watch World Destruction at all? How's that looking?
    No idea. It has started and looks... not that interesting judging from previews. I get a generic RPG-to-Anime vibe from it.
  • So how many of you who said Soul Eater was awesome are still watching it post episode 5?

What I'm watching now:
    Antique Bakery (my friends and I MST the crap out of this, it's so much fun)
    Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo -Ryoko's Case File-

Not watching:
    Sky Witches - Ok, so I watched the preview of this a while ago and thought, "it's bad, but with a couple changes it could be ok." Except they made it more. Especially the level of panty shots. I was genuinely disturbed by it and I only watched 2 minutes.
    Seikrei - Could this anime have more cliches in it?

Something I just finished and would recommend:
    Mnemosyne - IMPORTANT! YOU MUST BE 18 TO WATCH THIS SERIES
    Not saying you high schoolers aren't mature enough for watch this, but there is a lot of sex and graphic violence. If you parents walk in during the wrong scene (and there can be little to no warning) you'll never be allowed to watch anime ever again.
  • So how many of you who said Soul Eater was awesome are still watching it post episode 5?
    I am. Seen 11 episodes out of the 11 I have. I actually like Blackstar now. In episode 2 I thought he was annoying, but I like him now.
    Mnemosyne
    On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being Cowboy Bebop and 1 being the worst anime you know off, where does it end up?
  • Seen 11 episodes out of the 11 I have. I actually like Blackstar now. In episode 2 I thought he was annoying, but I like him now.
    I was talking about how at eps 5 there was a marked change in the way the show was handled. A lot more "how did he do that" "well he used his blah blah technique which cancelled out your blah and allowed him to attack your blah directly"
    Hmmmmmm, I'd say at least an 8. I really genuinely cared about all the characters and would cringe when horrible things happened to them. They really developed the characters very carefully and very well. Also the story is told very well, though the ending is a bit WTF, but that isn't always bad. Crucially the ending is good, if a bit out there, because there is change in the end. That's been bugging me with a lot of anime lately and that is cop-out endings where the character is confronted with a difficult choice and chooses not to choose and just leave things as they are.
  • I was talking about how at eps 5 there was a marked change in the way the show was handled.
    What??? Not at all. The show is still being handled the same. What the hell made you think of that? Stein, using his only skill, synchronizing his wavelength with Blackstar's when he (Stein) heard him (Blackstar) shout his attack?
    A lot more "how did he do that" "well he used his blah blah technique which cancelled out your blah and allowed him to attack your blah directly"
    SO TOTALLY DUDE! (read "Not at all")

Soul Eater = Awesome art style + Lots of silliness + some plot + some fighting. (Remember the word 'relative' when reading that sentence)
  • What??? Not at all. The show is still being handled the same. What the hell made you think of that? Stein, using his only skill, synchronizing his wavelength with Blackstar's when he (Stein) heard him (Blackstar) shout his attack?
    I just think it's bad story telling when they stop the action, and cut away to some else that then explains what you just saw. It was better during the first three eps when there was no explanation of anything that went on. There was fighting, but it just happened. Like in eps 2, when Blackstart hits the dude without using a weapon. They explained nothing, but you knew that was a special ability in that world. And then in the 4 the brought up soul wavelengths and that's all they wanted to talk about it seemed for a while. It just seems a lot like bleach or naruto with all this explaining going on.
    Soul Eater = Awesome art style + Lots of silliness + some plot + some fighting. (Remember the word 'relative' when reading that sentence)
    Don't get me wrong here, I like it for some reason as I seem to keep watching it. Blackstar still grates against the fiber of my being, but I can tolerate him more. I've seen up to 9, skimmed 10 and 11, and watched 12. I really wanna watch 10 and 11, they look good.
  • [S]kimmed 10 and 11, and watched 12.
    GAAAAH, cannot decide what response to use. "WTF?!" "OMG YOU BLASPHEMER!" or "Dude. Seriously, DUDE!"... Really, ep 10 and 11 are great. You'll like Blackstar more after watching those episodes. The conclussion of those episodes was slightly boring if you ask me, but they're good. I forgot I had ep 12 on my hard drive. Neglecting much of my anime watching this past week.
  • They might have for you but they didn't for me, all Black Star seems to do is annoy me more and more. Heck, I'd take English dub Naruto over him any day of the week.
  • I watched the first episode of World Destruction. It seemed generic so I stopped.
  • I watched the first episode of Blade of the Immortal and it's fairly 'meh'. Nothing exceptionally spectacular happens and the formula the director used for the episode was solid, albeit slightly cliche. I'm honestly not expecting much from this series at this point, I'll still watch until the fourth or fifth episode though.

Also, School Rumble San Gaki was a huge disappointment, though the fight between Harima and Karasuma was pretty epic.
    edited September 2008
    imageFall 2008 anime season.
    We've all heard Daryl Surat, Rym and Scott, and if I remember correctly even Dave Riley, talk about, or at least mention, the fact that the new anime season is packed. It really is. Just like with the Summer season I went to /a/ and almost immediately saw the latest updated Fall season chart, let's count: there are 48 new anime, 12 new OVAs and 7 'continuing' OVAs. HOLY CRAP. Holy crap indeed, that's a lot. And we aren't even counting the anime that is still running (Naruto, Golgo 13, whathaveyou). Before I go on, I have to apologize for the shitty jpg artefacts though. Photobucket does not appreciate big files, they either have to be smaller than 1024x768, or under 1 meg of data. Resizing this chart ain't an option, so if someone gets annoyed by these crappy artefacts and has a better hosting solution... hinthinthint. Moving on, let's list them!

Anime:
    • Penguin Musume Heart 2nd Club
    • Battle Spirits Shounen Toppa Bashin
    • Mach Girl
    • Bounen no Xamdou
    • Hakushaku to Yousei
    • ToraDora
    • Noramimi 2nd Season
    • Rosario and Vampire Capu 2
    • Casshern Sins
    • Hyakko
    • Yozakura Quartet
    • Kuroshitsuzi
    • Clannad: After Story
    • Akane Iro ni Somaru Saku
    • Tales of the Abyss
    • Tentai Senshi Sunred
    • Hokuto no Ken - Raou's Story - Heavenly King
    • Kurogane no Linebarrel
    • To Aru Majutsu no Index
    • Shugo Chara 2
    • Kemeko Deluxe
    • Jigoku Shoujo 3 Mitsuganae
    • Netsusou!
    • Zettai Yareru Grecia Shinwa
    • Shikabane Hime Aka
    • Kannagi
    • Gundam 00 2nd Season
    • Today in Class 5-2
    • Ga-Rei Zero
    • Skip Beat!
    • Live On CARDLIVER Kakeru
    • Macademi Wasshoi!
    • Vampire Knight Guilty
    • ef a tale of melodies
    • One Outs
    • Kurozuka
    • Mouryou no Hako
    • Stitch!
    • Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter
    • Chaos Head
    • Tytania
    • Tetsudou Musume ~Girls Be Ambitious~
    • Junjou Romantica 2
    • Negi-bouzu no Asatarou
    • Michiko to Hatchin
    • Inuzama Eleven
    • Alive
    • Bihada Ichizoku
    OVAs:
    • Shigofumi
    • Lucky Star
    • Quiz Magic Academy
    • Initial D Extra Stage 2
    • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - OAD
    • Switch
    • Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino
    • Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~
    • Hell's Angels
    • Seto no Hanayome
    • Heart no Kuno no Alice
    • Egg Man
    • School Rumble: Third Term
    • Amuri in Star Ocean
    • Candy Boy
    • Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
    • EVE no Jikan
    • Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~
    • My Otome O -S.ifr-
    Thus far I've seen Bounen no Xamdou (which started release in the US this summer), and EVE no Jikan. Xam'd is awesome. EVE no Jikan is interesting. And OMG the ending tune has the Friday Night Party Line tune in it!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Stitch!
    What huh? A Stitch anime? What the hell Japan? Hasn't the world had enough Stitch? Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to watch it...
  • I would totally watch it.

The thing about Lilo and Stitch, though, was the writing. I wonder if it will be weird like the movie.
  • Japan is the home of the wierd, so I would assume that the writing will not change very much. Besides, the anime is being created by Disney, so it shouldn't change too much.
  • edited September 2008
    Looks good this season. At the very least I'll have a whole bunch of 1st episodes to watch.
    Post edited by George Patches on