This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2016

• The Dates for PAX South are January 29, 30, 31.
  • We are “planning” on launching ticket sales for PAX South on September 16th 2015.
(Source: Gabe)

Comments

• edited September 2015
    There's actually a pretty solid chance I'll be going to this one.

I'm in the process of making a submission to AAAI 2016, which is in Phoenix, Arizona from Feb 12-17, and that in conjunction with PAX South is definitely sufficient reason to go to the U.S. even if I have to pay for it myself. I'll probably stay even longer and find some other things to do as well :)

Granted, it's not guaranteed my submission to AAAI 2016 will make it through peer review, but as long as I finish and polish off my paper within the next couple of days I think my chances are very good. Also, PAX South tickets are likely to come up for sale long before I get reviewer feedback so I'm probably going to have to buy tickets before I know if my paper made it through.

So, how quickly are the tickets likely to sell out, and what kind of effort do I need to put in to make sure I get them? How quickly did they sell out last year?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • We fully expect to be there.

Badges won't sell out as fast as Prime, and there are plenty of hotels.
  • I went back and forth on this one. I really want to go back to PAX South. There are too many people to meet up with at PAX, and having both South and East last year really helped. But alas, I have chosen to go to BGG.Con in November instead.

I won't completely rule out sneaking over to PAX South until the last possible second. But odds do not favor attendance.
  • Not sure if Jeremy and I will be attending.
  • Tickets up. Still deciding. I have time. This shouldn't sell out too quickly or at all.

• I have paid for a badge.
  • Reserved a room at the Marriott Riverwalk from Thurs-Mon, we can coordinate hotels later.
  • Oh, should I get hotel...
  • pence said:

Reserved a room at the Marriott Riverwalk from Thurs-Mon, we can coordinate hotels later.

I call dibs rooming with Pence and Anthony!
  • How do I access the hotel part without buying a ticket?
  • I'm going to my first PAX.
  • Drury Plaza booked Thurs-Mon
  • I was able to get the Courtyard Marriott on the Riverwalk for $5 less than the PAX rate. It still amazes me how cheap this convention is.

My status might already be changing. I'm being asked to come back and help run the Tabletop show for one more go before it's handed off more to locals. Wife also expressed interest in seeing PAX South, so I grabbed her a badge and reserved the hotel room just in case.
  • robertkhoo
    You all probably know we don't talk about #s, but I can tell you that we sold out of 3 day badges last year in about an hour and a half. We sold the same number of 3 day badges this year in approximately 10 minutes, so do not be alarmed.
  • What hotel should I book?
  • Andrew said:

What hotel should I book?

I got the one you stayed in last year because it was cheaper than the one we were in last year.
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

I got the one you stayed in last year because it was cheaper than the one we were in last year.
    Can you remind me the one I stayed in last year?
  • Andrew said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Can you remind me the one I stayed in last year?
    Hotel Contessa. Remember the huge picture of Contessa in the lobby?
  • Booked the same, had to go double bed (it was still cheaper than anywhere else!)
  • edited September 2015
    So, at Contessa it's $165/night for one person/one bed and $190/night for 2 persons/2 beds; is anyone up for sharing a room?

EDIT: Well, I made a reservation for double occupancy anyways.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Holy crap, why is Contessa that expensive? You can get $110/night by going 2-3 blocks further away.
  • okeefe said:

robertkhoo
    You all probably know we don't talk about #s, but I can tell you that we sold out of 3 day badges last year in about an hour and a half. We sold the same number of 3 day badges this year in approximately 10 minutes, so do not be alarmed.
    So the fine print here is that PAX South ticket pool is *much* larger this year. Sounds like they booked the whole Henry Gonzo.
  • Matt said:

Holy crap, why is Contessa that expensive? You can get $110/night by going 2-3 blocks further away.

I've learned from many years of experience that increased distance from the convention center has an exponentially increasing negative effect on the experience. Also, that hotel was way nice.
  • I do forget that it's been a while since I've been to a PAX w/o enforcing. I'm spoiled in the sense that I'll bring everything I could possibly need for the weekend and just stash it at the show.

Weather is a huge factor too, but I'm not worried about that in San Antonio. Boston? Sell a kidney to get Westin.
  • Staying a few blocks away was manageable last year, but I'll gladly pay an extra $30 a night to stay across the street, split among 4 people.
  • pence said:

Staying a few blocks away was manageable last year, but I'll gladly pay an extra $30 a night to stay across the street, split among 4 people.

Especially if you're the people that bring the games.