This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2016

Comments

• I played Food Chain Magnate at BGG.CON and am indeed itching for another session.
  • Can't remember if I posted here or not, but it's 99% confirmed that my efforts to get FFG back at PAX were successful. They'll be running a demo booth, and official Netrunner and X-Wing tournaments. This part is less confirmed, but the demo coordinator mentioned them usually having tourney kits w/ swag reserved for convention tourneys.
  • Matt said:

Can't remember if I posted here or not, but it's 99% confirmed that my efforts to get FFG back at PAX were successful. They'll be running a demo booth, and official Netrunner and X-Wing tournaments. This part is less confirmed, but the demo coordinator mentioned them usually having tourney kits w/ swag reserved for convention tourneys.

Yesssss. This is good.

Buuuut, they need to get the word out about these things sooner. If they would have mentioned this months ago, people would have bought tickets and hotels and such.
  • Yup. I only made first contact w/ FFG at the end of Nov. Pushing to get it from 99% to 100% (basically all they have to do is settle their balance w/ Reed), so events will be added to PAX South website, Guidebook, etc. They already missed the printed program (which nobody reads).

I'm pushing to get green light to promote the tourneys next week regardless, since badges are going to sell out.
  • Our Saturday panel is moving one slot earlier to 11:30am instead of 1:00pm.
  • It's official! FFG running Netrunner on Sunday at 10AM. X-Wing on Saturday at 10AM. Will have a nice-sized demo booth as well.
  • edited January 2016
    Now that the maps are out, here they are.

South did not expand into the other half of the Henry Gonzo, nor is the new construction half ready to host conventions (the old half will be torn down when the replacement new half is ready).

PAX South did not expand by even close to the amount that East did between years 1 and 2. We may be at peak PAX.

Correction: The Queue Hall did expand into the unused hall (which housed some sort of jewelry show last year), being that Tabletop moved into the area previously occupied by the queue hall. Both of those halls will be knocked down later this year to make room for two new halls, so South's available space total isn't growing much. The total growth is around 80,000 square feet, and it will all be contiguous.

Pulling up the public floorplans shows you this is an approximate 15% reduction in Tabletop space. The vendors didn't explode in count, though, so the reduction in table space shouldn't be more than 15%. If they didn't sell much more badges (I have no idea), it won't be felt, since last year was a sea of open tables.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • We're at peak PAX only because East and Prime can't expand further, and people from those places aren't as willing to travel. ;^)
  • That is all too true. The "no direct flights" problem is particularly killer for San Antonio. This is the year that San Antonio must learn How to PAX, if they want to pull in interesting exhibitors, recruit Enforcers who can live up to the [E] standard, etc.

I likely won't be able to do South and East back to back every year, especially since I've fallen in love with BGG.CON in November. I will be choosing East. South is so much more relaxing, and I enjoyed the non-crowded expo hall. I actually discovered cool new games last year! But there are too many people I'd miss meeting up with at East
  • South all the way. I'm too busy and cannot be bothered with the stress in trying to attend an overcrowded convention.
  • Try as I might, my East crew and Gen Con friends don't want to trek to South.
  • Yeah, San Antonio is only good for locals. The fact that there aren't real flights to/from SAT is a big deal that is causing serious problems for me on the way out (since I'm flying to Boston Sunday to start a ski trip).

They both have bullshit bag searches now.
  • Even the nerdiest people are not so dedicated that they would travel to a whole bunch of conventions every year. One or two is enough for them. Babies. I got four conventions in four months to start off the year. What are you going to be doing on those weekends? Laundry?
  • Last year's South 2015 was better than East 2015 for the things I like to do at PAX - play tabletop games, eat food, and absorb the atmosphere of the expo hall. I also got to walk around and see that crazy observation tower.

Downsides: getting to and from the airport requires a shuttle or taxi. Nowhere to buy queer comics. Keynote and Omegathon felt a little too low-key - I like that the rest of the con is low-key, but I want a lot of pomp and circumstance for those events.
  • Remind yourself, as you do the laundry, you could have been at a PAX instead. Then check your social network of choice to see that I am in fact at a PAX while you are loading the dryer.
  • Pro-tier: Drop off your laundry at work and have it done by the free laundry service while you PAX. It's pretty nice.
  • edited January 2016
    Andrew said:

Pro-tier: Drop off your laundry at work and have it done by the free laundry service while you PAX. It's pretty nice.

Pro-tier high five! Of course, my work isn't doing it, but I am paying a very small fee to have the Greek lady downstairs do it.

Of course, there is one tier above us pro players. The God-tier. Be so rich that you can bring your laundry to PAX and pay the hotel to clean and fold it all perfectly.

FSM-tier: Same as God-Tier except you pay the airline to do it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • OK that last part made me jealous.

Scott, please never change.
  • Apreche said:

Even the nerdiest people are not so dedicated that they would travel to a whole bunch of conventions every year. One or two is enough for them. Babies. I got four conventions in four months to start off the year. What are you going to be doing on those weekends? Laundry?

I have a set number of my go tos but the list is currently in flux.
  • Got my badge, this is really happening. The letter that came with it says South will have bag checks this year.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2016
    Our regulars:

PAX Prime
    PAX East
    PAX South
    PAX Aus
    Magfest
    ConnectiCon
    Anime Boston
    Zenkaikon
    MoCCA Fest

We've dropped a LOT of conventions from the rotation over the years.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think we're pretty much:

PAX South
    PAX Prime
    Dragon*Con
  • The Hype Train is leaving the station. I've got everything booked for my post-PAX trip to Louisiana, and I'm more excited for that than for PAX. And I'm real excited for PAX.
  • The second-hand value of a PAX South badge is as low as 2/3 the original value, around $50.
  • Matt said:

The second-hand value of a PAX South badge is as low as 2/3 the original value, around $50.

Supply and demand working just like they teach you in middle school.
  • Matt said:

The second-hand value of a PAX South badge is as low as 2/3 the original value, around $50.

I would so swipe that if my finances were in better order, but will pass along to see if anyone wants it.
  • I sold mine for $60 plus shipping. There are tons out there for $50 though.
  • okeefe said:

It looks like Games on Demand is happening for PAX South.

Nope, GoD did not manage to come together for this South. Maybe next time!

Besides FreeMarket, I'll also bring Fiasco and InSpectres, as they're quick pickup rpgs.
  • okeefe said:

okeefe said:

It looks like Games on Demand is happening for PAX South.

Nope, GoD did not manage to come together for this South. Maybe next time!

Besides FreeMarket, I'll also bring Fiasco and InSpectres, as they're quick pickup rpgs.
    Wait, I thought i saw it on the map and such?