This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Comments

• Plot spoilers for sun and moon.
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Neito said:

Apreche said:

I just got the TM for False Swipe, which is the greatest move in the universe if you want to catch pokes without killing them. But which poke do I teach it to?

Usually you drop it on something fast that hits like a truck, like a Scyther.
    No garbage poke like Scyther is getting in my party.
    As much as it pains me to say it, Spearow/Fearow may be your best bet early in the game. Relatively high base Attack and Speed, and it'll get a STAB for False Swipe.

I stuck it on Rowlet/Dartrix for a while, but they're on the slower side.
    Totem fights are easy enough if monopolize the typing and status.
    Bruh, that motherfuckin' Lurantis/Castform fight was anything but "easy enough."

I would say that and the Ghost totem fights were the toughest. I took down the last two totem mons with less difficulty than the previous ones.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Growlithe and fire fang trivialize Lurantis, double if burned. Alternatively, one could farm for a sap-sipper miltank if they're willing waste time doing that.
  • edited November 2016
    I had a Growlithe at the time and it got one-shotted by I forget what. It may have survived the hit, used its enhanced Synthesis, and then Castform killed it with something. Prettt sure that's what went down. Lather, rinse, repeat until I tanked it with something while I Max Revived the thing that could kill it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I have been taking my time, still only two crystals in.

I have managed to acquire a full set of Jhoto starters via the QR scanner.
  • I've found myself using a lot of Alolan forms of gen 1 pokes. Muk is a fuckin' tank with great types and Minimize, Raichu + Nasty Plot is a fast but fragile special sweeper, and Exeggutor will probably get paired with someone with Drought for a Chloroform + Solar Beam onslaught. Other than them I'm really loving Mudsdale and Ribombee.
  • Alolan Ratatata line is normal/dark. Must be the mustache.
  • edited November 2016
    The Ghost totem I had an easier time with surprisingly. I had a Salazzle by that point who was able to get Toxic off on both Mimikyu and the ally Pokemon (Haunter I think?), and then after she alternated between attacking and Protecting a bit, I switched in Bewear to shut down the Ghost-type STAB moves. Used Brutal Swing for super-effective damage on both 'mons and the fight was over pretty quickly.

But yeah, the Lurantis fight definitely wasn't as easy for me because my Fire Pokemon was Salandit, who is not nearly as bulky as Growlithe. Even with 4x resistance to Grass, she couldn't survive more than one or two hits with Solar Blade, and I didn't have Toxic at that point I think so I couldn't use that strategy. Even with a Growlithe, I imagine that setup is not much easier to deal with, as WhaleShark said. Arcanine I could see tearing through that fight maybe, but Growlithe is still soft enough at that point to get beat up pretty badly.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Ghost totem was the only time I've wiped. I started with a useless 'mon I was still training and immediately swapped to my Muk, who died before he could do much thanks to the free hit. The partner Haunter can be brutal if it keeps using Hypnosis.
  • I'm a fan of the Battle Royal system even though I suck balls at 'em. Will focus on getting gud after I beat the Elite Four.

Oh yeah, spoilers. There's an Elite Four after you complete all 7 island challenges and such.

I know, shocking, right?
  • I'm a fan of the Battle Royal system even though I suck balls at 'em. Will focus on getting gud after I beat the Elite Four.

Oh yeah, spoilers. There's an Elite Four after you complete all 7 island challenges and such.

I know, shocking, right?

Dang, I was kinda hoping they would mix it up this time with an elite 3 or an elite 5 or something.
  • edited November 2016

I'm a fan of the Battle Royal system even though I suck balls at 'em.

You know what I'm not a fan of? How they just force you to participate in a fight and use your first Poke without giving you an option when you first go there. The poor weakass Rockruff I was training up never had a chance. It did not dispose me kindly toward the system.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Nuri said:

I'm a fan of the Battle Royal system even though I suck balls at 'em.

You know what I'm not a fan of? How they just force you to participate in a fight and use your first Poke without giving you an option when you first go there. The poor weakass Rockruff I was training up never had a chance. It did not dispose me kindly toward the system.

I had a under leveled Magikarp I was trying to get to level 20 for a Gyarados it did not end well.
  • Yeah, that part was bullshit nonsense, but after that fight, it's pretty cool.

Though, one irritating thing is that you can't pick any Pokemon from your party if one of them is disqualified by the rules - I was rolling with Solgaleo in my party, and it wouldn't let me pick any of the other five till I removed him.

Fortunately there's a PC right there, but it's still annoying garbage.
  • edited November 2016
    Oh snap, speed is now calculated after mega evolutions. RIP Mega Sableye, congrats Mega Beedrill.

*Edit: Double Gratz Mega Banette.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • ThatGent said:

Oh snap, speed is now calculated after mega evolutions. RIP Mega Sableye, congrats Mega Beedrill.

I thought mega evolutions are gone now?
  • HMTKSteve said:

ThatGent said:

Name one mechanic they've ever taken out of the game once they put it in.
  • edited November 2016
    Neito said:

HMTKSteve said:

ThatGent said:

The surfing on a pikachu minigame in gen 1, or phrased to answer your question, the interactive surfing mechanics (riding waves).
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Neito said:

HMTKSteve said:

ThatGent said:

Growing plants? I guess I don't remember if that has been in newer games. I also don't remember if breeding was in the newer games too.
  • Neito said:

Replaced HMs and forcing to have certain moves on Pokemon with universally available Poke Rides.
  • We don't have a mega bracelet in the new games. Items can no longer be transfered between generations. How can you mega evolve during a battle? We have Z moves instead now.
  • Neito said:
    Huh. It's not clear if every pokemon that can mega evolve from the last generation will still be able to do so if you move it over with your bank.
  • I've never seen them make a difference between pokemon from last generation and pokemon from this generation. Every successive generation has always been a superset of the preceding one.
  • Neito said:

I've never seen them make a difference between pokemon from last generation and pokemon from this generation. Every successive generation has always been a superset of the preceding one.

Exactly, which is why the wording is making me wonder if this could be a change.
  • I doubt they'd change that for no reason.
  • All the old pokes from previous gens that can mega are still capable of mega. They halted megas this gen for an attempt at opening the floor to more variety in shenanigans and allowing everyone to pick their own ace. Which is a shame, I wanted to see Mega Bellossom shenanigans.

That said They're really putting emphasis on bug and poison types this gen. Toxapex alone is rife for crazy shenanigans. The giant buff to Leech Life and modest boost to Fell Stinger along with reprioritizing Mega speed are all just a cry to give Beedrill a second look.

They also took the hammer to priority moves. Abilities that negate priority attacks, Gale wings only working at full health, and Dark types being immune to Prankster (Firecatbeststarter) are all major game changers.