This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Nukerjsr said:

Finished Space Patrol Luluco. Huge disappointment. Felt like I was watching a Studio Trigger/Gainax "Best Of" wankery fest in fast-forward. It wants to glorify stupid without getting into any depth of fun or meaning. Or even if that's supposed to be a clever way of being meta in obsessing over the pettiness of middle school love, it sure fails in that matter just with how it decides to move forward despite the idiocy. Waste of time. Only for hardcore Trigger fans who've watched all of everything.

I actually had the precise opposite reaction to this show. To me, it exemplified the whole Trigger philosophy of art and storytelling without being inaccessible or only making sense if you've seen everything. I feel like the moral to the story is that even stupid or trivial things can have a deep and transformative impact if they are experienced under the right circumstances and with enough passion, and that this passion can drive someone—particularly an artist, but really anyone—to do extraordinary, world-changing things. Call it trite if you like, but that's half the point: Even trite things can trigger (heh) amazing results.

*cough*
  • Has anyone else been watching Thunderbolt Fantasy? I've been really enjoying the adventures of Jerk-faced gandalf & company but most of the people I've shown it to have been put off by the puppets.
  • It is the most anime a puppet could ever be. It's had the opposite effect with people I've shown. People that aren't into anime like the show because it's puppets.
  • So we just finished Knights of Sidonia (the greatest display of unexplored potential I've ever seen in an anime, and that's saying something), and we're looking to watch something that's actually good. What's good right now?
  • So we just finished Knights of Sidonia (the greatest display of unexplored potential I've ever seen in an anime, and that's saying something), and we're looking to watch something that's actually good. What's good right now?

I assume you already watched HE WHO PUNCHES BUT ONCE?
  • Nope, not yet. It's on my list.
  • One Punch Man is easily the best anime since kill la kill; the perfect combination of rock solid comedy and great fight choreography with absolutely gorgeous animation.

If you ironically enjoy DBZ, you will like this show. If you unironically enjoy DBZ, you will like this show.

I recommend One Punch Man without qualification in the strongest possible terms.
  • I was watching the Netflix series called seven deadly sins and thought to myself that this show is a self made aware abridged series hitting the beats of every fantasy anime I ever watched without the humor.
  • Seven Deadly sins is really good EXCEPT for it's kinda molesty main character.
  • No, meliodas is a full on sex criminal and not the cool kind
  • belkalra said:

No, meliodas is a full on sex criminal and not the cool kind

• Just watch Erased really quick. Short, good, complete.
  • Erased is great if you don't mind that the ending jumps off a cliff. Personally, I've never had such a significant drop in opinion of a show in my life.
  • belkalra said:

Erased is great if you don't mind that the ending jumps off a cliff. Personally, I've never had such a significant drop in opinion of a show in my life.

My sentiments exactly.
  • Cremlian said:

Seven Deadly sins is really good EXCEPT for it's kinda molesty main character.

Sadly, it kind of makes sense on the most weird ways possibles, if you follow the manga.
  • Started watching Re:Zero about a week ago. It took me two nights to get caught up with all 17 episodes.
    The character designs throw me off a little bit at the start. But the premise is really good, and I don't think is gonna get old any time soon.
    If you are looking for a show in the real of high fantasy, this show will do just fine. The pacing is a little weird on the first episode, but it gets resolved by the middle of the second episode.
  • Erwin said:

Cremlian said:

Sadly, it kind of makes sense on the most weird ways possibles, if you follow the manga.
    I though it was just an homage to the trope of pervy characters. It has an older arty style, and I figured it was a throwback to older anime.

@Pete: Watch Food Wars and critique the food science. But watch One Punch Man first. Stop reading this and go watch. For realsies.
  • Wyatt said:

@Pete: Watch Food Wars and critique the food science.

I'm nowhere near as good as Pete, but from everything I know from commercial kitchens, the hows and whys of cookery are pretty accurate. Though it likely helps that the biggest contributor on the series(other than the artist) is Yuki Morisaki, who is basically a Japanese combination of Nigella Lawson, Alton Brown, and Heston Blumenthal. She even worked with Seiji Yamamoto. I'm not gonna say it's perfect, but she really, really knows her shit.

• Wyatt said:

Erwin said:

Cremlian said:

I though it was just an homage to the trope of pervy characters. It has an older arty style, and I figured it was a throwback to older anime.

I see where you are coming from, after all everyone loves Roy Focker, and Master Roshi.
  • Rym said:

Just watch Erased really quick. Short, good, complete.

Bonus points for best mom since Madoka.
  • Also the "ending that jumps off a cliff" makes a lot of specific sense in light of other plot points. What do you see RIGHT at the end of the show? The very, very end?
  • MATATAT said:

belkalra said:

Erased is great if you don't mind that the ending jumps off a cliff. Personally, I've never had such a significant drop in opinion of a show in my life.

My sentiments exactly.
    I don't get all the ERASED ending angst on this thread. What specifically did you guys not like about it?
  • I thought the ending of Erased was very appropriate for the rest of the show.
  • edited August 2016

MATATAT said:

belkalra said:

My sentiments exactly.
    I don't get all the ERASED ending angst on this thread. What specifically did you guys not like about it?
    The part that I really didn't like was how the teacher was just like "hahaha it was me the whole time! I'm EVIL!" with very little logical or emotionally compelling reason. There didn't appear to be any character motivations beyond being Mr. Badguy. As far as the true ending itself, in retrospect it wasn't that bad. The idea that his life was consumed by this mission that kinda came out of nowhere was an interesting premise. But just his original motivations and how he had like a complete change of character once he's revealed.

*** 999 spoilers ***

Having recently finished 999 with one of the "Safe Ending" they do a similar thing where Ace, once revealed, is like "HAHAHA I'm suddenly cold and calculating and was just putting on a persona!" I don't really get why this happens because it just comes across as bad writing in that we're supposed to hate this person and you're making it VERY obvious by suddenly making them a complete piece of shit. There was a level of subtlety that was going very well until their entire personality just completely changes at the drop of a dime.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

MATATAT said:

belkalra said:

My sentiments exactly.
    The part that I really didn't like was how the teacher was just like "hahaha it was me the whole time! I'm EVIL!" with very little logical or emotionally compelling reason. There didn't appear to be any character motivations beyond being Mr. Badguy. As far as the true ending itself, in retrospect it wasn't that bad. The idea that his life was consumed by this mission that kinda came out of nowhere was an interesting premise. But just his original motivations and how he had like a complete change of character once he's revealed.

*** 999 spoilers ***

Having recently finished 999 with one of the "Safe Ending" they do a similar thing where Ace, once revealed, is like "HAHAHA I'm suddenly cold and calculating and was just putting on a persona!" I don't really get why this happens because it just comes across as bad writing in that we're supposed to hate this person and you're making it VERY obvious by suddenly making them a complete piece of shit. There was a level of subtlety that was going very well until their entire personality just completely changes at the drop of a dime.
    *** 24 spoilers ***
    Ah, interesting point about the sudden and complete change of character. When 24 did the same thing at the end of season 1 it bothered the hell out of me and felt super cheap. But for some reason when ERASED did it I accepted it without a second thought, possibly because there were several clues casting suspicion on him from early on.

Also possibly it was easier to accept the teacher as deeply psychopathic due to the nature of his crimes, which made his sudden change-of-face easier to buy, whereas in 24 the traitor's justification for her deception, "it's just part of the job", felt more flimsy.
  • MATATAT said:

belkalra said:

My sentiments exactly.
    I would have preferred is the main protagonist would have pulled a Detective Conan before the last episode.
  • Erwin said:

MATATAT said:

belkalra said:

My sentiments exactly.
    I would have preferred is the main protagonist would have pulled a Detective Conan before the last episode.
    That could happen post-last-episode...

• Erwin said:

Hehe, okay, I can see that. Then again,
    it's established early that there's an escalating personal "price" that has to be paid for each successful revival. A straightforward, Conan-style "it was you!" conclusion wouldn't have fit with the theme of personal sacrifice being the fuel for completing a revival.
  • Erwin said:

Hehe, okay, I can see that. Then again,
    it's established early that there's an escalating personal "price" that has to be paid for each successful revival. A straightforward, Conan-style "it was you!" conclusion wouldn't have fit with the theme of personal sacrifice being the fuel for completing a revival.
    He would have sacrificed his future. Imagine this:
    At the moment that he was about to pull a Conan time could have being stopped by whatever gives him the "revival", and then he sees his future life breaking down to pieces, very similar to how a revival is shown in the opening. Why? Because if he were to pull this final act then he would sacrifice his own future, as he is changing time, and he would stay in the past.
    Let's remember that the longer he stays as a child, the more he forgets about his adult self, eventually he would grow up, and forget about all "revival" experiences. Fast forward to high school graduation, and while hanging out with his friends they remenecen about the past, and ask him how did he do it. He says smiling "I don't remember" as they walk out of the high school gate holding hands with Kayo, while a younger version of Airi passes by with her family. (I think Airi, and Satoru are 12 years apart)
    With an ending like that we know the things that he gave up, but is also very open. It lets us imagine the future of the characters, instead of telling us what happened to all of them. For me knowing about the future spoils the mystery in a story

Still way better than your average anime.
  • 7 Deadly Sins is struggling to get out of the D grade category with me. The main guy is molesty, Elizabeth is painfully stupid and ditzy, they dress her in skimpy, Paris-Hilton-style clothing for the state purpose of being an information gathering agent at the inn, which in 5 episodes she never does. So why keep wearing the outfit? Put on some more armor.

The jokes are crass, tasteless, and there are no characters I can get behind.