This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• The Doctor now looks like a geography teacher.
    I was thinking maybe a 1940's banker.
  • edited July 2009
    Question, and I apologize if this is common knowledge to everyone else: Is this the end for Torchwood? Will it continue? If so, will Captain Jack still be a main character?
    I don't think BBC has decided yet if they want to produce any more Torchwood. In the inside look specials on BBC America, Davis said that he would continue to write episodes if they want him to.
    AND PRIMEVAL IS NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL AS DOCTOR WHO.
    I never said such a thing.

I just finished Children of Earth yesterday, and all I can say is: they have balls! There were a bunch of times where I thought they would undo something, but it happened, and its staying that way.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
    *BARGLE*

Who the hell is this guy? Bleh. He's gonna have to make one HELL of a performance for me to watch him. Gah.

David Tennant, You'll always be the doctor to me.

• David Tennant, You'll always be the doctor to me.
    Two words - Tom Baker.
  • edited July 2009

Who the hell is this guy? Bleh. He's gonna have to make one HELL of a performance for me to watch him. Gah.

David Tennant, You'll always be the doctor to me.
    I agree, but mostly because I'm the sort of fickle Doctor Who fangirl who really only watched it because David Tennant is just so damn APPEALING. And by that I mean, he was quirky, interesting, lively, fun to watch and... extremely good looking. Then again, I've never really watched any of the old series, I've only seen Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. Without the eye candy and hilarity, I don't think it will be worth it to me to keep up with the new season.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Just finished watching Children of Earth. Overall, I thought it was incredibly entertaining.
    Question, and I apologize if this is common knowledge to everyone else: Is this the end for Torchwood? Will it continue? If so, will Captain Jack still be a main character?
    While they've not yet decided, it has been made very clear that it is not impossible, and given the excellent ratings for Children of Earth, they are seriously considering a fourth season. It appears that the entire crew wants to do another season and it is really just up to the execs at BBC to decide now.
  • edited July 2009
    Here is something crazy that came to my mind after Jack's crazy/gory resurrection. What if there were more parts of him that the government were not able to collect? That would be a way for the BBC to bring a Jack back. But really that Jack would not be our Jack, he would be dashing and all but he would lack the psychological scar that came after the events of Children of Earth.
    I read on an interview that RTD has said that he is pretty confident that Torchwood will continue in some way or form and that he hopes Jack comes back for future episodes.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Here is something crazy that came to my mind after Jack's crazy/gory resurrection. What if there were more parts of him that the government were not able to collect? That would be a way for the BBC to bring a Jack back. But really that Jack would not be our Jack, he would be dashing and all but he would lack the psychological scar that came after the events of Children of Earth.
    Are you saying that if you split Jack in half, you get two Jacks? I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. In any case, I'd think people want that psychological scar...
  • They could bring back Spike umm... I mean Captain John Hart. (Insert fangirlish sigh here.)
    Really, they could easily bring back Captain Jack. Let's say he wanders for a few years (in story time) and then he comes back. Still... Captain Spike... yummy.
  • edited July 2009
    So have anyone watch the recent Doctor Who and Torchwood panels from Comic Con? They are hilarious,.
    Also, I think this goes for every fan girl of the Whoniverse out there.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • They are back, another Iron Claw is back!
  • Welcome back Doctor!
  • More importantly, welcome back the weeping angels! Best Who bad guys from the revamp.
  • This marks the eighth regeneration I have been witness to, but only the second where I have cried.
  • I was on the verge of crying the whole time. Tenth Doctor was MY doctor. The one I first liked a lot. I don't like this at all. I'll miss him so much!
  • He used a gun :(

Hopefully this lives up to past seasons.
  • He used a gun :(

Hopefully this lives up to past seasons.
    Not on a person. Plus, spoiler much!
  • I was on the verge of crying the whole time. Tenth Doctor was MY doctor. The one I first liked a lot. I don't like this at all. I'll miss him so much!
    Your Gonna Carry that Weight.
  • The Tenth's regeneration is bar far the saddest one I've seen. His final words pretty much echoes what, I assume, many were thinking about.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm already seeing the "Bring back Tennent" campaigns on Facebook and other places, as if the BBC fired him under shady circumstances, and they had any way of changing what has occurred.

Edit - Also, No groups for "Bring back Russel T Davies!" who is the one who brought the series back into any sort of major popularity, but he's not terribly good looking, so most people don't care.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Edit - Also, No groups for "Bring back Russel T Davies!" who is the one who brought the series back into any sort of major popularity, but he's not terribly good looking, so most people don't care.
    Moffat's a better writer, in my opinion. He's written some of the strongest episodes of the revived Doctor Who. (See: Blink, The Library, etc.)
  • Edit - Also, No groups for "Bring back Russel T Davies!" who is the one who brought the series back into any sort of major popularity, but he's not terribly good looking, so most people don't care.
    Moffat's a better writer, in my opinion. He's written some of the strongest episodes of the revived Doctor Who. (See: Blink, The Library, etc.)
    QFMFT
  • I am a fan of Moffat, but I have doubts because of the actor. Face it. I'm just a 10th Doctor girl and probably will be forever.
  • I'm going to be fair on New New Who and treat it as if I was watching my first Doctor Who back in 2005. I think it only fair.
  • I'm going to be fair on New New Who and treat it as if I was watching my first Doctor Who back in 2005. I think it only fair.
    This. Finally someone who watches the new Who who is willing to give 11 a fair chance instead of letting fandom get in the way.
  • One thing to help bring this into a bit of perspective, Moffat and a new production team were coming in 2010. I'm guessing Tennant remembers how awkward it was when production teams were changed during both the Jon Pertwee (third) and Tom Baker (fourth) tenures on Doctor Who. By stepping down now, he lets Moffat start fresh, and from the looks of it, I think Matt Smith will be like Peter Davidson and bring a completely different aspect to his portrayal of The Doctor.
  • Moffat's a better writer, in my opinion. He's written some of the strongest episodes of the revived Doctor Who. (See: Blink, The Library, etc.)
    I won't argue, but it's pretty undeniable that Davies was the pointman and face of the massive revival in popularity of Dr who, on the production side at least. Without Davies, you'd not have the episodes Moffat wrote, because without him, the BBC wouldn't be giving it the funding from the lack of mass popularity.
    This. Finally someone who watches the new Who who is willing to give 11 a fair chance instead of letting fandom get in the way.
    To be fair, Eleven isn't starting on entirely the right foot with the fans, as although we got plenty of time to say goodbye to Ten, there was zero time to actually "mourn"; we basically jumped right from tear-inducing send-off to wacky antics. Although to be fair again, that's mainly the pacing to blame, and I'm not sure they could have really pulled it off differently. Either way, my opinion of Matt Smith's Doctor (from as little as has been actually shown) improved once I re-watched his dialogue separate from Ten's regeneration, so who knows.

I'll be giving the new Doctor a fair shot, at least; heck, I sat through all of Series 2 somehow.
  • The Fourth Doctor was 'my' Doctor so I gave the Ninth & Tenth a chance. Worked out pretty well. So, I'll give #11 a chance also.
  • I don't understand this fear of a new doctor. Sure, Tennant was great and gorgeous, but he isn't the only actor worth watching nor is Davies the only writer that could make a decent series.
    I would have preferred a female and/or minority doctor for socio-political reasons and for an interesting twist, but that doesn't mean that this new incarnation won't be enjoyable. While the clothes are a bit drab, maybe they will add to a mood or aesthetic of the new series. It is impossible to judge a painting based solely on the brushes used.
    As for the ending of the last series, [spoilers] I liked that they showed the few minutes of the 11th Doctor and ended on a shot of adrenaline after the rather a drawn out death of the 10th Doctor. Had the 10th just quickly died and then the manic action of the 11th Doctor started immediately, it would have broken the dramatic tension greatly. However, the death was long and drawn out, giving the viewer the time to mourn and accept before they - quite rightly - ended on an upswing of excitement that, I thought, enticed the viewer to see the next series. Had it ended with his regeneration, it would have been so maudlin, whimpering and undramatic after the drawn out death and there would be no seed of anticipation planted to generate any positive momentum for the new series. It also gave a wary audience a positive glimpse at the new Doctor, helping to dispel the reluctance of the audience to let go of the 10th Doctor. [spoilers] All-in-all, I am looking forward to see the new series.

Has anyone heard anything about Torchwood coming back?