This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Guy Ritchie.
  • edited July 2010
    Chris Columbus, really?
    What's wrong with him? He actually did a good job on the first two Harry Potters, and they were probably the only two that followed the original storyline vs the others. He really hasn't directed much lately, except that Percy Jackson movie. I wanted to watch it when it came out, but I heard about a Lady Ga Ga song in it, so I'm going to wait for Netflix Streaming.
    To be honest the Harry Potter movies have blurred together in my mind, but I know the first two don't stand out to me as being very good. The scripts were pretty much verbatim from the books, and the storyline was mostly untouched, but that isn't always a good thing when you're adapting a book to the big screen. They're technically good adaptions but there isn't any life in them, if you get what I'm trying to say. I just don't think he would've done a significantly better job than Shyamalan did with Avatar.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • The first two Harry Potter movies were the worst out of all of them, if I remember correctly.
  • I wish del Toro hadn't turned down Harry Potter. His reasoning spoke to how much a a badass motherfucker he was, though: he turned them down because they were "too happy and full of light."

I hope that del Toro one day directs an Elric of Melniborne movie. That would be some serious high-test awesome.
  • The first two Harry Potter movies were the worst out of all of them, if I remember correctly.
    I have to disagree with you highly. Movie 5 & 6 were beyond fucked over. They barely touched on the more important details of the story.

Half-Blood Prince mostly concentrated on the fucking love relationships than the actually background story of Voldemort and his family and how he discovered Horcruxes.

Kreacher, the house elf of the Black family, was barely in The Order of the Phoenix and if J.K. Rowling didn't say anything about it, he would have been left out of it entirely. Mind you that whole S.P.E.W. thing was left out of the movie series and for good reason, but Dobby & Kreacher barely got any love. They also barely showed anything in the Ministry of Magic, and it felt that they just sped through that entire part of the book.

I did enjoy the wizard duels, however for my favorite HP movie, it would be The Goblet of Fire, even though I wish they would have shown more of the Quidditch World Cup, but 1 & 2 are not the worst, imo.
  • I guess I just give Yates props for trying to make the movies his own.
  • edited July 2010
    I have to disagree with you highly. Movie 5 & 6 were beyond fucked over. They barely touched on the more important details of the story.

Half-Blood Prince mostly concentrated on the fucking love relationships than the actually background story of Voldemort and his family and how he discovered Horcruxes.

Kreacher, the house elf of the Black family, was barely in The Order of the Phoenix and if J.K. Rowling didn't say anything about it, he would have been left out of it entirely. Mind you that whole S.P.E.W. thing was left out of the movie series and for good reason, but Dobby & Kreacher barely got any love. They also barely showed anything in the Ministry of Magic, and it felt that they just sped through that entire part of the book.

I did enjoy the wizard duels, however for my favorite HP movie, it would be The Goblet of Fire, even though I wish they would have shown more of the Quidditch World Cup, but 1 & 2 are not the worst, imo.
    If you are comparing how true they were to the source material, sure. As movies, however, the series has progressively gotten better over time.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2010
    If you are comparing how true they were to the source material, sure. Asmovies, however, the series has progressively gotten better over time.
    Yeah. I still disagree about Half-Blood Prince. I really didn't like it as a movie with all the lovey dovey crap.

I'm also biased, I guess. I didn't get into reading Harry Potter until after movie 4. So the first 4 movies were a good experience for me. It was cooler to read them to see what else happened that they didn't show. Then when I read book 5 & 6 and seeing it adapted to the big screen, I was disappointed.

I guess I should just keep my expectations low from now on. *shrug* =/
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I guess I should just keep my expectations low from now on.
    My brother once told me, "I go into every movie I watch with the lowest possible expectations. That way if it's a hot mess I'm not so disappointed and if it's only 'meh' then I'll feel it was halfway decent." Not a bad point of view to have, in my mind.
  • edited July 2010
    If you are comparing how true they were to the source material, sure. Asmovies, however, the series has progressively gotten better over time.
    I have to disagree wholehartedly. Every film since the Prisoner of Azkaban has been rushed and dull. The worst offender, in my opinion, is the most recent that culminated in so-and-so's death which seemed like a rushed afterthought to the point that it was rendered completely anti-climactic. Ever longer CG action scenes overtake almost all character development and dialogue.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • There was no character development in the first two movies.
  • edited July 2010
    There was no character development in the first two movies.
    What movies did you watch? The first movie established the characters an developed their relationships to each other quite well. The second showed a marked growth in each character and established deeper relationships.

In the end this boils down to what kind of film a person enjoys. If you like whip-lashed paced dialogue and long action scenes, then the later HP movies are for you. If you like character driven films that keep their action sequences short and sweet in order to develop the intricacies of interpersonal relationships and their ensuing tensions, then the first films are more up your alley.

EDIT: Back to the subject of Avatar: As much as I disliked the movie, it is obscene that Eclipse has a higher rating on IMDB. Both movies were equally bad. (Yes, I watched Eclipse, but I didn't pay for it.)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I've seen all but the latest Harry Potter movie, and I think only one of them stood out as good on its own merits. I think it was the forth one, with the time travel plot.

Personally I don't have high hopes for any movie project, especially not adaptations. Thankfully I'm not a fan of anything like a TV series, so couldn't give a shit if a bad movie is made using the same IP. The only shame is that money and effort could go into making good movies. Except good movies are not a sure thing, and money might not come in, whereas remakes and adaptations and tie-ins are pretty much money machines.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, for one I don't care about it's faithfulness as an adaption, and for another I haven't seen 5 & 6 all the way through. On a tangentially related note, 6 was absolutely gorgeous; it's the kind of movie I could just watch for the cinematography. That has more to do with me being a nerd, though.
    If you like whip-lashed paced dialogue and long action scenes, then the later HP movies are for you. If you like character driven films that keep their action sequences short and sweet in order to develop the intricacies of interpersonal relationships and their ensuing tensions, then the first films are more up your alley.
    But I like both of those things! Maybe I was just in the wrong mood for the first two at the time, but I remember the dialogue and acting being really lame, with the exception of the teachers. All of the people playing the students have become much better actors as time goes on, which is the main reason I enjoy 3 & 4 over 1 & 2.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Guy Ritchie.
    Starring Vinne Jones.

"WE'RE 'ERE TO DO SOMEADAT FUCKIN' BENDIN', ORRIGHT?"
  • Guy Ritchie.
    Starring Vinne Jones.

"WE'RE 'ERE TO DO SOMEADAT FUCKIN' BENDIN', ORRIGHT?"
    And Toph is a Pikey.
  • I hope that del Toro one day directs an Elric of Melniborne movie.
    I like the way you think, sir.
  • I wishdel Toro hadn't turned down Harry Potter. His reasoning spoke to how much a a badass motherfucker he was, though: he turned them down because they were"too happy and full of light."

I hope that del Toro one day directs an Elric of Melniborne movie. That would be some serious high-test awesome.
    Hell, I'm waiting to see what will become of his "At the Mountains of Madness" project.
  • Let me ask a pointed question. Since the general consensus is that Night was without a doubt the wrong director to have handled The Last Airbender, who do you guys think would have been a better choice to handle the series?
    My foot.
  • Let me ask a pointed question. Since the general consensus is that Night was without a doubt the wrong director to have handled The Last Airbender, who do you guys think would have been a better choice to handle the series?
    My foot.
    Which one?
    My foot.
    Which one?
    Does it matter?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Let me ask a pointed question. Since the general consensus is that Night was without a doubt the wrong director to have handled The Last Airbender, who do you guys think would have been a better choice to handle the series?
    My foot.
    Which one?
    Does it matter?
    Yes. I was hoping someone would say My Left Foot.
    Post edited by Geo on
    My foot.
    Which one?
    Does it matter?
    Well, if they amputate your left foot, your right foot would be left.
    My foot.
    Which one?
    Does it matter?
    Well, if they amputate your left foot, your right foot would be left.
    But if both feet are wrong, then which is right?
  • Yes. I was hoping someone would say My Left Foot.
    His destructive programing is taking effect. He will be irresistibly drawn to large cities where he will block up sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everyone's left shoe.
  • Yes. I was hoping someone would say My Left Foot.
    His destructive programing is taking effect. He will be irresistibly drawn to large cities where he will block up sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everyone's left shoe.
    Damn! An agent of the Right Foot has stopped me!
  • Can we just forget that the movie ever happened? Can we just go back to talking about the quality TV show?
  • Can we just forget that the movie ever happened? Can we just go back to talking about the quality TV show?
    What movie?
  • What do you guys think of the new Avatar: The Legend of Korra series coming out? I know this was brought up before, but there was a severe lack of discussion towards it.