This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mother series/EarthBound discussion thread

GeoGeo
edited March 2008 in Video Games
What are your thoughts on the video game known as EarthBound (strike that, the whole Mother series)? Do you think it's awesome or way too weird? If you do like it, would you want to see EarthBound on the Virtual Console and Mother 3 fully translated and brought to both America and Albion?

Comments

• I like the style and tone of the Mother games, but I can't deal with old school rpg stuff anymore.
  • I still own the SNES cart and play it regularly, one of my top 3 RPGs of all time.
  • I think it's fair to say that the final battle with Giygas is probably the MOST epic and unique boss battle in existance.
  • edited March 2008
    Awesome and way too weird.

I'm still hoping for Mother 3 to arrive in the USA.
    Post edited by nlatimer on
  • Awesome and way too weird.

I'm still hoping for Mother 3 to arrive in the USA.
    Me, you, and 200000 other fans are waiting too.
  • Mother 3 is not coming to America, I have accepted this fact. To rectify the situation I will import a GBA with the game and get a game script so I can read what is going on.
  • The fan translation project has been looking quite promising.
  • Mother 3 is not coming to America, I have accepted this fact. To rectify the situation I will import a GBA with the game and get a game script so I can read what is going on.
    American GBAs work with Japanese carts, so you really shouldn't have to import a GBA.

Anyways, I've imported the Mother 1+2 doublepack for GBA, and I've imported Mother 3. I've yet to play them yet...they're on my waiting list of games that I need to play.

• Anyways, I've imported the Mother 1+2 doublepack for GBA, and I've imported Mother 3. I've yet to play them yet...they're on my waiting list of games that I need to play.
    I just told Emily to import them for herself yesterday. I would import them for me, but I can't read them, which defeats the purpose.
  • edited March 2008
    Ah, but you see, Gamefaqs is your friend.

Mother 3 translated script
    Mother 1+2 Walkthrough

As for other import games, unless you're gonna get an RPG (which in this case, yeah, you are), you normally don't need Japanese for anything except for MAYBE reading the menus (but even then, some games have English in their menus), and when that happens, Gamefaqs will 9/10 times have a translation for it.

Or, if you're just planning on doing a show about import games, you could just get ROMs for them, then get translation patches for them.

Also, wow, I just checked Play Asia and it looks like they're totally out of stock with Mother 3....oh well, ebay's usually a good option for import games.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Ah, but you see, Gamefaqs is your friend.
    Playing a game with a paper translation is not fun in the least.
    That is why I am waiting for Starman.net to finish their fan translation.
    I'm glad we're on the same page Rym. I actually succeeded in getting a ROM of Mother 3 and I attempted to use a script to read along with the game, I may love the Mother series, but using a translation guide just wasn't fun and it was too hard to keep up with the Kanji. So I've stopped playing and I put the ROM on a flash drive and I will play it again once the IPS patch is finished.
    That also goes for using a translation guide with anime.
    With Lucas in Super Smash Bros Brawl, I'm still going to hope.
    With Lucas in Super Smash Bros Brawl, I'm still going to hope.
    They put Roy in SSBM and we haven't seen FE6.
    Thus, none of my hopes are up about a Mother 3 release.
  • Actually, what interests me is that Lucas has an English voice and Marth still has the Japanese. They left Marth's voice in Japanese because there wasn't any plans to release the Fire Emblem games that he was in state side (of course this has possibly changed with the announcement of the DS remake). The fact that Lucas speaks in English leads me to believe that Nintendo may release Mother 3. Of course, this is all speculation.
  • Well the Mother 3 Translation Project will be done in a couple of month and I am so psyched to be able to play Mother 3 for the first time in the language it deserves to be in. This will make up for the assholishness of Nintendo by teasing us Earthbound/Mother fans relentlessly by spreading Mother 3 seeds here and there in their games.
  • I love the MOTHER series. I've played all three games (MOTHER3, I used a translation guide) and was never disappointed by my experiences. I agree with Rym that playing with the translation guide is never a great experience, but for MOTHER3 I didn't mind it all that much- other people have commented on this before, but there's so much conveyed through the sprites alone that one could poke their way through without a guide and still get the gist of what's going on. However, near the end of the game it suddenly becomes very important to be able to understand the text, which is where problems start to arise.

As soon as the fan translation is finished, I want everyone to go out and play it. It doesn't matter if you've never played EarthBound or MOTHER (EarthBound Zero) before, just play MOTHER3. It's fantastic.
  • I actually own all 3 games for GBA (Mother 1+2 cart and a Mother 3 cart). I haven't played any of them yet...:(. Maybe someday.

And just watch, when the Mother 3 fan translation gets done, Nintendo will announce a North American release just to be a bigger asshole.
  • So far it seems like I'm the only one who owns a MOTHER3 cartridge and has actually played through it.

"Ness digs through trash and finds a hamburger"

My mom was watching me play this one day and got a kick out of it. She always asks if I'm digging around in trashcans if I say I am playing video games. My mom rocks, too bad I'm 1000 miles away.
  • edited September 2008
    My simple question is WHAT the hell is a Pencil Eraser, and WHERE the hell can I get one? Infinite hilarity during standardized tests!

Also, a cult that paints everything blue is all right by me. ^^

I enjoy Earthbound quite a bit, can you tell?
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Posted By: nlatimer
    They put Roy in SSBM and we haven't seen FE6.
    They put Marth in and his game got a DS remake that will probably come out here. This doesn't mean anything in the Earthbound/Mother scheme of things, but just saying.

Am I the only one who just never found Earthbound very fun? The battle system just seemed antiquated and clunky, and nothing else about the game really grabbed me. I've never been among the legions demanding Mother 3, but was definitely annoyed that Nintendo put Lucas in Brawl as if to tease everyone who didn't get the game.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: nlatimerThey put Roy in SSBM and we haven't seen FE6.
    They put Marth in and his game got a DS remake that will probably come out here. This doesn't mean anything in the Earthbound/Mother scheme of things, but just saying.

Am I the only one who just never found Earthbound very fun? The battle system just seemed antiquated and clunky, and nothing else about the game really grabbed me. I've never been among the legions demanding Mother 3, but was definitely annoyed that Nintendo put Lucas in Brawl as if to tease everyone who didn't get the game. You kind of are the only person who doesn't like the Mother series, because I just find it odd that can not like it (except the non intellectuals). The charm is great, the puns are well laid out, and the story really well written. I'll sum up my point in three word: join the club.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • To those of you who are too lazy too see how the translation is coming along, I'll post up the test videos as they come along. I will stop once they are complete which should possibly be around January-February.

I'll only post up 3 videos this time and they don't spoil anything.

Enjoy!!!!

• GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    The day is almost here......... the hacking for Mother 3's Translation patch is done. Release day is almost upon us all. Let us all rejoice when it shows it's glorious head. The video of how well the hacking went is right here:
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2008
    The patch will be officially released in one week from now and we (the Earthbound fans) can rejoice greatly. In case you don't know where to get it or are too lazy to search for it yourself, go to this site when the day finally arrives.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Can I play this translated game on with my M3 piracy card?
  • FLASH CARTS THAT WILL PLAY MOTHER3:
    Slot 2 (GBA) carts:

* EZ-Flash IV (note: the “Compact” version will not work)
    * EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (requires a slot-1 cart)
    * eLink 1Gbit
    * G6 Lite
    * M3 SD
    * EFA Linker
    * Flash2Advance Ultra

Slot 1 (DS) carts:
    (These all require a GBA expansion, such as the EZ-Flash 3-in-1, to play GBA games.)

* M3 DS Real
    * CycloDS
    * EZ-Flash V
    * R4 DS
    You'll be just fine. It's kind of appropriate, isn't it? Playing MOTHER3 with an M3 flash cart.