This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mother series/EarthBound discussion thread

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Can I play this translated game on with my M3 piracy card?
    Not sure, but I doubt it. I tried using translation patches and other patches (like Kaizo Mario for Super Mario World) and my Cyclo didn't pick up on the patches.

Also, should I play Mother 1 and 2 before Mother 3, or does it not matter?
    You'll be just fine. It's kind of appropriate, isn't it? Playing MOTHER3 with an M3 flash cart.
    Problem with that list is that is says "cards that will PLAY Mother 3". It didn't mention using an ips translation patch.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Also, should I play Mother 1 and 2 before Mother 3, or does it not matter?
    Why would you even consider playing Mother 3 before even playing Earthbound or Mother?! To answer your question, I think the answer you are looking for is YES!!! It is required to do so to get a better feeling for the game and the series as a whole or else you are really going be thrown off by it's unusual characteristics.
  • edited October 2008
    Probably should have linked to this first, then. It's a thread on the Starmen.net forums that discusses how to play the patch using a flash cart.

Also you should play at least EarthBound. You don't have to play the first game, but it really helps.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • edited October 2008
    Why would you even consider playing Mother 3 before even playing Earthbound or Mother?!
    Because it's getting massive hype and I'd like to play it and I haven't played the first 2...therefore considering playing Mother 3 came to my mind.
    Also, there are PLENTY of games where you can play x+1 without playing x and still be fine (see: advance wars, final fantasy, fire emblem, etc), so I felt the need to ask.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Why would you even consider playing Mother 3 before even playing Earthbound or Mother?!
    Because it's getting massive hype and I'd like to play it and I haven't played the first 2...therefore considering playing Mother 3 came to my mind.
    Also, there are PLENTY of games where you can play x+1 without playing x and still be fine (see: advance wars, final fantasy, fire emblem, etc), so I felt the need to ask.
    I can understand the temptation caused by massive hype which has occurred at least once in every person for any number of things. However... Mother 3 doesn't fall under the examples you gave as it is completely different in the sense that each game (with the exception of Earthbound Zero) is connected. I know the story, so trust me when I tell you that playing Earthbound before Mother 3 is highly advisable for two reasons. The first reason is that the game is connected to Earthbound, like I said before, in subtle hints and storyline elements that will be lost on you if you don't have previous experience and knowledge from the games in the past. The second reason is that you are only depriving yourself of a great gaming experience even IF you don't intend to play Mother 3 at all.
  • The first game is still deeply connected to the two games following it, even if it doesn't seem like it. They're all intricately entwined in the same overarching plot, but it takes quite a bit of analysis to realize that.
  • I played Earthbound but never Mother or Mother 3. Now that I have a touch with Nintendo and Game Boy Advance Emulators I’ll give them a try. Can’t believe I didn’t think of these while looking for RPGs to play on the touch.
  • edited October 2008
    trust me when I tell you
    I do trust you. I was just supplying a perfectly legitimate answer to your question, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I just now got the ROM on my PSP and I think it's really fun and hilarious to play.
  • I've played Earthbound on the SNES back when I was a kid and I loved it. I had never been a big fan of video game RPGs but a friend of mine let me borrow his copy. After about a month he'd come over almost every day to ask me when I would give it back. I told him I would after I was finished, which I did.

About a week later. I played that thing almost every second I could spare and it still took me a while to find everything and beat the game.
  • Anyone know where I can get the untranslated version version so I can translate it when this patch comes out
  • edited October 2008
    Anyone know where I can get the untranslated version version so I can translate it when this patch comes out
    Pirates bay? Seriously. You can find any ROM by searching on Google and going far enough down through the results.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have a fairly extensive and (more importantly) good and comprehensive list of ROM sites. I'm not sure if Rym and Scott want me dumping said links on this forum, though. So it's up to them.

I do, however, strongly advise against googling, because, while that's how I did it to start out with (and how I found a few of my sites), most sites are spam pieces of shit sites with tons of popups.
  • most sites are spam pieces of shit sites with tons of popups.
    But if you use Firefox, you won't see those pop-ups, so what does it matter?
  • edited October 2008
    Um, the site I go to for my PSP to get ROMS is Rombomb.
    Post edited by Skyshiro on
  • I'm not going to tell you not to link to ROM sites. You can link wherever you want whenever you want. That's how the Internet works. However, linking to ROM sites is pretty stupid. The reason is not because of the illegality of ROMs, but because ROM sites change too frequently. New sites show up and old sites go down constantly. Any link you make probably won't work in a month or so.

I have two methods of getting roms. One is Google and two is Piratebay. The Google method works best if you are looking for a single small rom. For example, if you want Legend of Zelda for the NES, or New Mario Bros. for the DS, Google is the best bet. Just search for something like "legend of zelda nes rom download". Most of the search results will be sites that don't work, or are full of bullshit. However, I have always found a working site by the third page of search results.

Piratebay is used in other situations. If you want a new popular game, a bundle of games it's really good. However, it's also good for very large roms, like PS1 games. I recently downloaded Einhander and Symphony of the Night off there. I recommend that anyone who wants to emulated old consoles go on piratebay and download the huge rom packs. It is very easy to find a torrent of every US NES game, every US SNES game, every US Genesis game, etc. Most of these torrents will finish downloading overnight, and it's a lot easier to wait one night to download every game than it is to go hunting around Google for individual roms. However, for systems like GBA and DS, a complete torrent is a bad idea. There are so many crappy useless games, like the ones you see filling the shelves at GameStop, that you don't want to download them.
  • edited October 2008
    True, for NES and SNES games, getting a large ROM pack isn't that bad of an idea.
    Any link you make probably won't work in a month or so.
    Really, now? How come the same 5 or so sites I've been using for ROMs have been up and running for the past 3+ years, then?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • True, for NES and SNES games, getting a large ROM pack isn't that bad of an idea.
    Any link you make probably won't work in a month or so.
    Really, now? How come the same 5 or so sites I've been using for ROMs have been up and running for the past 3+ years, then?
    You're lucky.
  • The patch is out.

Just in case you all didn't know already.
  • edited October 2008
    The patch is out.

Just in case you all didn't know already.
    Thank you very much for the heads up. The Rom is downloaded, patched, and I'm currently playing it.

I have to admit, this is freaking huge for me! Earthbound is honestly in my top 3 favorite games of all time, and given my particular mood at the time, it's often in the number one spot on that list. So it's pretty awesome that I can finally play the sequel. Here's hoping it's good.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • I'll be downloading this, but I have to replay the original earthbound first. It might take awhile, but I'll get to it some day. I wish emulating the SNES on the DS didn't suck so much.
  • Done with Chapter 1. So far it's really good, though the mood of the game is not quite what I thought it would be so far. Not that that's a complaint, just not what I was expecting. So far so good though, and I shall continue playing later.
  • I wish emulating the SNES on the DS didn't suck so much
    Are you using SNEmulDS? If so, shouldn't be sucking.
    Yes, and it still sucks. The reason is that the resolution of an NES game is greater than the resolution of a DS screen. Therefore, all SNES games are either cropped to fit onto the DS screen, or scaled very poorly. The scaling also makes it difficult to read text.
    This is taken right off of SNEmulDS's site:
    "Earthbound

v.5b-Boss battles suffer from very bad graphical glitches, but if you simply goto GFX config, then hit the (auto on/off) button in the middle right of the screen, they are playable, but PSI attacks arn't displayed correctly still. Game crashes are very minimal, and text is now displayed correctly. A minor problem is that there are some layering issues, with the sprites appearing on top of everything always, but overall the game is fine and completely playable. "

Despite how that is somewhat positive, I don't think Earthbound runs that well.

Either way, yeah, I just patched my Mother 3 ROM. I won't get to it for years, though, cause I still want to play Mother 1 (which I have a translation for, actually) and Earthbound, first...
  • If it doesn't run exactly like it ran on the SNES, or better, then fuck it. SNES9x and ZSNES both emulate the SNES perfectly. All the DS emulators are shit. DS flash carts are only good for homebrew, ds and gba games.
  • edited February 2009
    All the DS emulators are shit.
    Are you fucking kidding me? Lameboy runs GB/GBC games fucking perfectly. The aspect ratio isn't fucked either since the GB screen was smaller than the DS's.

The Genesis/Megadrive emulator, jenesis, is awesome, too.

Same with nesDS. That works like a fucking charm. I think Punch Out is the only game I've thrown at it that it hasn't been able to play.

You're so negative, Scott....
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Just ignore Scott. The DS emulators are good to carry around, if you regularly carry a laptop or emulate a lot at your computer, computer emulators are generally a better choice.
  • Just ignore Scott. The DS emulators are good to carry around, if you regularly carry a laptop or emulate a lot at your computer, computer emulators are generally a better choice.
    Except the fact that very few games, if any, are fun to play with the keyboard...so you'd have to buy a game pad...which still costs less than a DS + flahscart...but still.
    Except the fact that very few games, if any, are fun to play with the keyboard...so you'd have to buy a game pad...which still costs less than a DS + flahscart...but still.
    Uh, you can get a USB gamepad for almost nothing. I bought one for $20 5 years ago. The XBox 360 gamepad for PC is well worth the added cost.