This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Anime Season Start!

Comments

• Ok, so is going relatively fast since Goku now dies on episode 3, on the original series Goku dies on episode 5. This means that they are not just cutting the filler arcs but they are also cutting the fighting. This makes me thing that Dragonball Kai might be as long as the classic Saint Seiya series.
  • edited April 2009
    けいおん!(K-On!)
    鋼の錬金術師 (Full Metal Alchemist Remake)
    ハヤテのごとく2期 (Hayate no Gotoku 2nd Season)
    東のエデン (Eden of the East)
    戦場のヴァルキュリア (Valkyrie Chronicles)
    アスラクライン (Asura Cryin')
    07-GHOST
    初恋限定。 (First Love Limited)

This season's not as good at last season :S
    Post edited by flux on
  • Eden of the East is really interesting.
  • This season's not as good at last season :S
    You're not that good at trolling. You're also missing more than half of the good shows.
  • trolling
    Huh? Maybe it's because I wasn't trolling.
    You're also missing more than half of the good shows.
    Well I have my own preferences. I guess I should've said "this season's not as good as the last season for me." And the list was of anime I am currently watching :P I guess I have to be more explicit?
  • This season's not as good at last season :S
    You're not that good at trolling. You're also missing more than half of the good shows.
    I lost hope once I saw First Love Limited (from the creator of Ichigo 100%) :(
  • I lost hope once I saw First Love Limited (from the creator of Ichigo 100%) :(
    I find it entertaining enough.
  • I saw the first episode of FMA the other day. I liked it and I'm gonna continue watching...nuff said. I might check out Eden of the East because it's getting good reviews.
  • This season is leaps and bounds better than last season, of which only two shows really interested me.
    edited April 2009
    I guess I should've said "this season's not as good as the last season for me." And the list was of anime I am currently watching :P I guess I have to be more explicit?
    I know this, why do you think I said you are trolling? It's not baseless. The only good stuff last season were second seasons, the rest were harems. Hence my thinking that you were not serious.
    I lost hope once I saw First Love Limited (from the creator of Ichigo 100%) :(
    I should've jumped on that train of thought, but I am too much of an optimist and hoped to drag out non-existent truth. I COUNTER WITH MANIME!
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2009
    I know this, why do you think I said you are trolling? It's not baseless. The only good stuff last season were second seasons, the rest were harems. Hence my thinking that you were not serious.
    Nice. Of course, since you seem to be a reasonable guy, I presume you meant to say, "[In my personal opinion,] [t]he only good stuff last season were second seasons, the rest were harems [which I personally do not enjoy]. Hence my thinking that you were not serious [because I thought that everyone has the same interests as me]." The reason some media (which you may think of as not being as enjoyable as others may think) are produced is because there is an audience. It's for the exact same reason they make different color gaming consoles, different flavor snacks, different styles of clothing, and so forth. I am sure you already know this, so I will assume the overly subjective sentences you laid out previously were a careless mistake on your part.
    Post edited by flux on
  • I am watching:
    Higepiyo
    Hatsukoi Limited
    Cross Game
    Charady's Daily Joke
    FMA

As well as some carryovers from former seasons/continuations:
    Major
    Astro Fighter Sunred
    Hajime no Ippo (second season)
    Kemono no Souja Erin
    Birdy the Mighty Decode
  • edited April 2009
    Nice. Of course, since you seem to be a reasonable guy, I presume you meant to say, "[In my personal opinion,] [t]he only good stuff last season were second seasons, the rest were harems [which I personally do not enjoy]. Hence my thinking that you were not serious [because I thought that everyone has the same interests as me]." The reason some media (which you may think of as not being as enjoyable as others may think) are produced is because there is an audience. It's for the exact same reason they make different color gaming consoles, different flavor snacks, different styles of clothing, and so forth. I am sure you already know this, so I will assume the overly subjective sentences you laid out previously were a careless mistake on your part.

However, there are anime that can be considered good or bad by an objective measure, not just a subjective one.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2009
    However, there are anime that can be considered good or bad by an objective measure, not just a subjective one.
    Yes, I agree that there can be a majority opinion; nevertheless, as far as "good" and "bad" go, there can rarely be objectivity since the matter is, in fact, subjective. Of course, we could now debate about the exact definition of objectivity and subjectivity, but sadly, none exist. So I hope people reading this are smart enough not to trip over that fact. Even if there was complete objectivity, it does not justify Nineless' generalization. So-called "harem" anime (I am taking this exact example becuase Nineless inferred some of his opinions about the genre) such as CLANNAD have masses of fans as do other bishoujo game based anime do, and these people are not necessarily losers. All in all, I just wanted to point out that not everyone have the same tastes, and that some people do not appreciate subjective criticisms.
    Post edited by flux on
  • Yes, I agree that there can be a majority opinion
    No, I did not just mean majority opinion. While solipsism implies that complete objectivity cannot exist, it is nonetheless possible to apply criteria that do not stem solely from one's own perceptions.
    and that some people do not appreciate subjective criticisms.
    You yourself have asserted that the issue is subjective, so I don't see how you can complain about subjective criticism. Much better to have at least some kind of criticism than none at all.
  • No, I did not just mean majority opinion. While solipsism implies that complete objectivity cannot exist, it is nonetheless possible to apply criteria that do not stem solely from one's own perceptions.
    You yourself have asserted that the issue is subjective, so I don't see how you can complain about subjective criticism. Much better to have at least some kind of criticism than none at all.
    You're using a straw man attack here. My overall reasoning was that Nineless was replacing any criteria with his own criteria, which was clearly demonstrated by the sentences preceding and succeeding the sentences you argued against (which you decided to completely ignore).
  • edited April 2009
    My first point was a necessary clarification. Majority decision does not objectivity make. Additionally, apart from that, I was agreeing that complete objectivity cannot exist. As for the second point, I can see some of your meaning - you were dissatisfied with the complete subjectivity of Nine's statements - but ultimately I don't see your point.

Except in the presence of evidence and unbiased criteria, any statement should be understood as subjective. It's easier to leave things like "In my personal opinion" out because they are implicit anyway. You yourself began this discussion with an entirely subjective statement:
    This season's not as good at last season :S
    However, it is critical to note that even with the correction
    this season's not as good as the last season for me.
    the comment remains entirely subjective. Your complaints about Nine's level of subjectivity are hypocritical.
  • edited April 2009
    I was not attacking the subjectivity of Nineless' argument as in the definition you think. I was merely stating that people have different tastes, and I'm shocked that you're still tripping over my arguments that have nothing to do with this argument really... I wonder how I even started it or got into it. Oh yeah, you used the words subjective and objective! My second comment must have been poorly worded, leading you into misunderstanding it. But what I was saying was: not all people have the same tastes, and Nineless was grossly classifying everything he did not like as "not worth watching."
    Post edited by flux on
  • edited April 2009
    Your point that people have different tastes was made a long time ago, and I thought the discussion had moved beyond that.
    I was merely stating that people have different tastes, and I'm shocked that you're still tripping over my arguments that have nothing to do with this argument really... I wonder how I even started it or got into it. Oh yeah, you used the words subjective and objective!
    You yourself were the first one to use the term "subjective;" when you said
    I am sure you already know this, so I will assume the overly subjective sentences you laid out previously were a careless mistake on your part.
    How was I to know that your main point was actually that which you qualified with "I am sure you already know this?" Thanks, but I did indeed already know that...

Don't worry though, the problem of some peoples' tastes is one that can be fixed.
  • Oh I'm sorry. It must've been the time (yes, that is an excuse :P). Anyway, now you get my point and you disagree, which is just fine.
    Don't worry though, the problem of some peoples' tastes is one that can be fixed.
    Now that statement is just pure evil. I sense mild sarcasm mixed with an intent to irritate me.
  • edited April 2009
    Now that statement is just pure evil. I sense mild sarcasm mixed with an intent to irritate me.
    ^_~
    Good to see that your sarcasm detector is functioning; It seems I need to be more covert with my evil crusade against evil, though.
  • Nice. Of course, since you seem to be a reasonable guy, I presume you meant to say, "[In my personal opinion,] [t]he only good stuff last season were second seasons, the rest were harems [which I personally do not enjoy]. Hence my thinking that you were not serious [because I thought that everyone has the same interests as me]." The reason some media (which you may think of as not being as enjoyable as others may think) are produced is because there is an audience. It's for the exact same reason they make different color gaming consoles, different flavor snacks, different styles of clothing, and so forth. I am sure you already know this, so I will assume the overly subjective sentences you laid out previously were a careless mistake on your part.
    My god, so improbably, yet it occurs. You acted daft enough to miss the entire joke and made me expect that you would start signing your posts here with "Summer Glau". Anyways, I laughed, thanks Cheesycake for latching on to this small gold nugget.
  • edited April 2009
    Here's an entire list of what's on-air :P
    I warn you I translated some the titles myself so they might not be the official titles.

Mondays
    花咲ける青少年 (Hana Sakeru Seishounen / The Boy Who Blooms Flowers)
    GUIN SAGA
    咲 -Saki- (Saki)
    シャングリ·ラ (Shangri-La)
    夏のあらし! (Natsu no Arashi! / Summer Storm)
    チーズスイートホーム ~あたらしいうち~ (Chi's Sweet Home, Atarashii Uchi / A New Home)
    タユタマ ~Kiss on my Deity~ (Tayutama ~Kiss on my Deity~)
    Tears to Tiara

Tuesdays
    宇宙をかける少女 (Sora Kake Shoujo / The Girl Who Leaps Through Space)
    07-GHOST

Wednesdays
    はじめの一歩 New Challenger (Hajime no Ippo New Challenger / Fighting Spirit New Challenger)
    BLEACH
    うちの3姉妹
    蒼天航路 (Souten Kouro)

Thursdays
    リストランテ・パラディーゾ (Restaurante Paradizzo Fridays
    東のエデン (Eden of the East)
    バスカッシュ! (Basquash!)
    銀魂 (Gintama)
    Candy Boy
    けいおん! (K-ON!)
    Pandora Hearts
    Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
    黒神 ~The Animation~ (Kurokami The Animation)

Saturdays
    家庭教師ヒットマン REBORN! (Katei Kyoushi Hitman REBORN!)
    極上!!めちゃモテ委員長 (Gokujou!! Mecha Motte Iinchou / First Rate!! Very Popular Class President Sundays
    鋼殻のレギオス (CHROME SHELLED REGIOS)
    鋼の錬金術師 (Full Metal Alchemist) [REMAKE]
    ドラゴンボール改 (Dragon Ball Kai)
    神曲奏界ポリフォニカ クリムゾンS (Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica)
    こんにちはアン ~Before Green Gables~ (Hello Ann ~Before Green Gables)
    戦場のバルキュリア (Valkyrie Chronicles)
    真マジンガー衝撃!Z編 (Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen)
    初恋限定。 (Hatsukoi Limited / First Love Limited)
    クロスゲーム (Cross Game)

Whew..
    Post edited by flux on
  • We had that list a few pages back... or were you simply looking for an excuse to show off your knowledge of Japanese/machine translator?
  • edited April 2009
    We had that list a few pages back... or were you simply looking for an excuse to show off your knowledge of Japanese/machine translator?
    That was a list of the anime by month. This list just shows this season with when they each air. I guess it's a bit redundant, but it helps you check for new episodes when they actually air :P
    Post edited by flux on
  • East of Eden has been very entertaining . The show has been compared to the movie Bourne Identity by some fans. I've never watched the movie so I have no idea if this a accurate comparison or not. The shadow organization working behind the scenes is interesting. Having a concierge that will provide anything for you from a pack of bubble gum to assassination is quite cool.
  • edited April 2009
    I checked out Guin Saga, it looks awesome. Serious anime fantasy for the win! And with an orchestral soundtrack and beautiful art to boot. I advise everyone to watch it :)

Edit: Holy shit! Apparently the score was composed by Nobuo Uematsu. O.O You know, of Final Fantasy fame.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited April 2009
    My views, a couple of weeks in - they basically haven't changed from first episode reactions.

Eden of the East is indeed entertaining.
    Cross Game is (probably going to be) the best anime this season.
    Sengoku Basara is a manime (not in the homosexual way, though).
    FMA2 is nothing special.
    Dragon Ball Kai will be Dragon Ball Z in ~1/3 of the episodes - if only (as Scott said) it was 1/6...
    Basquash! I'm two ways about... basketball mecha *cough*Lunar Bust*cough*.
  • So far right now...

Sengoku Basara is one of the most entertaining series of the season.
    Hatsukoi Limited is rather cute.
    Dragonball Kai is just a throwback series to me, enjoying it regardless.
    Basquash! is just weird. Basketball mecha? Watching it for it's weird uniqueness.
    Arashi!...I'll take back what I said earlier, it's decently executed from the second episode on. Starting the first episode off in the "middle" of the series for no reason is moronic. Also looks like Shaft is using the same visual techniques they did in the two ef series.
    Saki is kinda dull. I was expecting to maybe learn a bit about Mahjong. Maybe if I actually knew how to play it in the first place, I might've liked it more.
  • Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ is pretty good so far. While Cross Game is good right now, I can see the possibility for it to dwindle or become a stupid sports show once they get into the thick of it.