This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Anime Season Start!

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Cross Game is based on a manga - supposedly a very good one. As such, I have more confidence in Cross Game than in a lot of the other shows this season.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on

• This is the current king of Japanese cartoons.
  • edited April 2009
    Its kind of like eating tablespoons of sugar frosting drenched over with honey.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Saki is kinda dull. I was expecting to maybe learn a bit about Mahjong. Maybe if I actually knew how to play it in the first place, I might've liked it more.
    I HIGHLY doubt you'll learn anything about mahjong when watching Saki. You probably learn more about mahjong from Akagi (awesome OH SHI- anime, don't listen to Scrym), and even then you pretty much learn nothing. You have to know how to play the game before you understand the stuff, but that's not hard.
    This is the current king of Japanese cartoons.
    We know, we bow.
  • Summer Season V1.
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

• I didn't know anime was also infected with a virus. The virus of SUCK!
    Except Hetalia, you are ok dude!
  • edited April 2009
    Checked out three-and-a-quarter episodes of K-ON! yesterday, and must say I was not impressed. It wasn't terrible, sure, but it certainly doesn't warrant the huge amount of popularity that it's already garnered. It's just a run-of-the-mill high school comedy featuring mostly the same female student character tropes we've seen a bajillion times over, with fairly good animation and good character designs. The best parts of the show are the opening and ending sequences, which admittedly are pretty sweet. The rest is just painfully average.

After looking over other forum threads discussing the show, it seems the main reason people are fawning over it is purely due to the fact that it is a KyoAni production. Seriously. A lot of people don't give any other reason than that. Blind fanboy-ism, much?

Also, there's already a rapidly growing moé movement centered around Mio that's kind of scary. o_O
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Bah, it seems I'll only be interested in Spice and Wolf 2 and a couple OVAs this summer. Oh well.
  • After looking over other forum threads discussing the show, it seems the main reason people are fawning over it is purely due to the fact that it is a KyoAni production. Seriously. A lot of people don't give any other reason than that. Blind fanboy-ism, much?
    Ugh...over at the Anime Suki forums, many people were saying that they liked Clannad (which was again, another run of the mill moe teenage girl bullshit show) just because of the studio (which I forget at the moment).
  • The studio that did Clannad (and the other Key anime adaptations, Kanon and Air) is the same studio that does K-ON!, Kyoto Animation. They certainly do good animation technically speaking, and they have a better track record for decent shows than a lot of other studios, but even so, the amount of fanboy devotion to this studio is ridiculous.
  • Wait what?
  • edited April 2009
    After looking over other forum threads discussing the show, it seems the main reason people are fawning over it is purely due to the fact that it is a KyoAni production. Seriously. A lot of people don't give any other reason than that. Blind fanboy-ism, much?
    Ugh...over at the Anime Suki forums, many people were saying that they liked Clannad (which was again, another run of the mill moe teenage girl bullshit show) just because of the studio (which I forget at the moment).
    To correct you, Clannad wasn't another run of the mill moe teenage girl bullshit show, it was like Air and Kanon- moe looking on the surface, but much more underneath. However, I fucking hate all of those anime. They are so depressing. Fuck them. I dislike them as much as I do Evangelion. Key (the maker of those anime) makes nothing but those types of shows- moe looking, but depressing as fuck anime.

Fuck. /rant
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Key (the maker of those anime) makes nothing but those types of shows- moe looking, but depressing as fuck anime.
    If they specialize in depressing shit, it makes a twisted sort of sense that they would make it moe looking. Perhaps the thinking is that the cuteness will balance out the soul crushing despair.
  • I didn't know anime was also infected with a virus. The virus of SUCK!
    Your view on the world leaves me in despair!
  • Key (the maker of those anime) makes nothing but those types of shows- moe looking, but depressing as fuck anime.
    If they specialize in depressing shit, it makes a twisted sort of sense that they would make it moe looking. Perhaps the thinking is that the cuteness will balance out the soul crushing despair.
    Yeah, think of Higurashi na Koro no ni. Not really depressing (from what I've read, haven't seen it), but sort-of horror murder mystery type thingy under moe cuteness.
  • Yeah, think of Higurashi na Koro no ni. Not really depressing (from what I've read, haven't seen it), but sort-of horror murder mystery type thingy under moe cuteness.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I would possibly be a little put off by that much cuteness unless I knew ahead of time that it would go deeper.
  • edited April 2009
    I didn't know anime was also infected with a virus. The virus of SUCK!
    Wait, what? I'm looking forward to Aoi Hana (finally a good and touching yuri show that doesn't end in tragedy?), and Fuyu no Sonata looks really well animated (if you like sappy K dramas. I'll recommend it to my parents.) The earthquake one might be cool, and Zetsubou Sensei is always funny. Also Spice and Wolf might continue the story in a good way, and pick up the pace a bit.
    Except the anime...well...sucks. And this is coming from a huge fan (and part time translator) of the webcomic.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Summer Season V1.
    A thumbnail linking to a thumbnail linking to the actual image, ffs, stop being stupid. Fixed it for you. Anyways, more Spice and Wolf, nice. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, yes, looked interesting. CANAAN? Sora no Manimani? And ELEMENT HUNTERS, oh god, chemistry for pre-schoolers.
    To correct you, Clannad wasn't another run of the mill moe teenage girl bullshit show, it was like Air and Kanon- depressing pedo anime with retarded lolis.
    More fixing.
    Also, there's already a rapidly growing moé movement centered around Mio that's kind of scary. o_O
    The pedo's lusting around K-ON/Mio are scary as fuck, yes. Though I must agree with them that Mio's a cute tsukkomi.
  • edited April 2009
    Your view on the world leaves me in despair!
    Yeah, I guess is a side effect from the antiviral cocktail that was made of a mixture of Fist of the North Star, Tezuka, Go Nagai, Naoki Urasawa, and Imagawa antiviral proteins that were later bathed on Getter Rays. :P
    Wait, what? I'm looking forward to Aoi Hana (finally a good and touching yuri show that doesn't end in tragedy?), and Fuyu no Sonata looks really well animated (if you like sappy K dramas. I'll recommend it to my parents.) The earthquake one might be cool, and Zetsubou Sensei is always funny. Also Spice and Wolf might continue the story in a good way, and pick up the pace a bit.
    I don't fall in any of those categories but only because my heart is cold as ice.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited April 2009
    Though I must agree with them that Mio's a cute tsukkomi.
    I have to agree. I haven't seen the show, but I really like the ED.
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, I guess is a side effect from the antiviral cocktail that was made of a mixture of Fist of the North Star, Tezuka, Go Nagai, Naoki Urasawa, and Imagawa antiviral proteins that were later bathed on Getter Rays. :P
    Actually that was just a joke but since you apparently have never watched Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei you didn't get it.

Third season of SZS is so far the only thing that got me interested. I might check out Taishou Yakyuu Musume since the character sitting on the grass looks to be as hyper as Patty from Soul Eater who already brought me tons of enjoyment. But then again, Soul Eater was a pretty good series on it's own.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, I do quite like the outfits in the ending sequence as well as the song itself. Expect to see lots of cosplay for those outfits over the next several months to a year. I'm betting that a good deal of Mio's popularity is solely due to that ending sequence, really.

This blog post states some of my thoughts on her and the show in general pretty well (I can't stand Yui or Ritsu either; Tsumugi's all right, and Mio's overrated).

EDIT: Oh, I also saw the first episode of Eden of the East. I don't know what to make of it, really. Clearly it's one of the best shows of the spring season, but that's not saying much considering this season looks pretty weak. There were just a lot of leaps in logic that I really felt I couldn't roll with. Would you talk normally to a naked man with a gun, offer him your coat and hat, and later go with him on a flight back to Japan like it's nothing? Why did that man on the street give "Akira" his pants so willingly? Since when is penis inspection the only method of identification a police officer can resort to, and why did said officer let "Akira" go so easily after he pulled down his pants? Why can the English-speaking Americans sometimes understand the Japanese that the leads speak (not just a few words, but whole sentences even)? *sigh*

Still, the premise could be interesting. I'll watch another couple episodes at least. Maybe it'll start to make more sense once the leads are back in Japan and there are fewer opportunities to screw up American culture.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited May 2009
    Would you talk normally to a naked man with a gun, offer him your coat and hat, and later go with him on a flight back to Japan like it's nothing?
    Well, he did distract the police from her, and he's quite charismatic. I'll let other people come up with better reasons (if they care...)
    Why did that man on the street give "Akira" his pants so willingly?
    I was led to assume there was some form of reimbursement.
    Since when is penis inspection the only method of identification a police officer can resort to, and why did said officer let "Akira" go so easily after he pulled down his pants?
    The latter was clarified - it was cold outside.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I was led to assume there was some form of reimbursement.
    I thought he paid for the pants. If I was a man and a guy gave me 200 dollars for my pants, I would go around in my boxers, at least until I could buy some cheap jeans. Rym would, I know that much. Heh.
  • This blog poststates some of my thoughts on her and the show in general pretty well (I can't stand Yui or Ritsu either; Tsumugi's all right, and Mio's overrated).
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH RITSU?! Yui is retarded yes, but then said blogger mentions Ritsu in the same sentence, wut? I don't see how she's retarded, heck, during her spiel in the first episode she even glances to Tsumugi to see if said spiel has any effect. She's just an easy-going genki girl, why dislike her?
    Would you talk normally to a naked man with a gun, offer him your coat and hat, and later go with him on a flight back to Japan like it's nothing?
    Fellow country person, who's very charismatic, drops the gun first thing pretty much, doesn't show hostility, is NAKED thus providing him with at least some clothing is a kind thing to do (seriously, it's supposed to be winter. You heartless, heartless woman), afterwards the passport, follow, then it's pretty much tagging along since plans got screwed up, and Akira's going to Japan also, so why the hell not make it easy and just tag along? Not to mention she clearly has fallen for him. It does require some suspension of disbelief, I agree.
    I was led to assume there was some form of reimbursement.
    I thought he paid for the pants.
    Did he? I was under the impression that Akira just rolled a natural 20 on his CHA check. "Sir, I'm in a hurry but am lacking pants, as you can see my manhood does not like this, could I please have your pants?" Of course it's very well possible that Akira asked for the guy's bank account alongside that for reimbursement.
    Since when is penis inspection the only method of identification a police officer can resort to, and why did said officer let "Akira" go so easily after he pulled down his pants?
    Shock, stunned, plus a quick gettaway. Also, plot armour.
    Why can the English-speaking Americans sometimes understand the Japanese that the leads speak (not just a few words, but whole sentences even)?
    We'd have had (more) horrible Engrish otherwise. It's still a Japanese television series.
    screw up American culture.
    What 'American culture'? They didn't touch upon ANY American culture. The only actual interaction with America(ns) was the White House and cops.

tl;dr Oh my god, walled.
  • Okay, it's just sad that I just found out that K-ON! is animated by KyoAni, no wonder a lot people were looking forward to it. (I was expecting a huge dance sequence for the opening or ending if it's a KyoAni slice-of-life series) After the terrible third episode (the overall joke just dragged and its effect lost.), I thought it got better. I personally like the Adviser, Sawako, more than Mio now for her dual personality. I had a feeling that cosplayers would go towards Mio because her ending costume is maybe the more unique of the bunch (A Mad Hatter sort of way?).
    edited May 2009
    So apparently there's music in K-ON, instead of the, what appeared to be, random placement of just instruments at the tea club. Episode 6 has the first (one song) concert. It's pretty nice. When the song starts the stage is dumped and we are shown a pretty sweet music video.

Yes, going to /a/ 4 minutes before the episode airs is a bad idea.

EDIT: Oh, and rice bowl. *facepalm*
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited May 2009
    So apparently there's music in K-ON, instead of the, what appeared to be, random placement of just instruments at the tea club. Episode 6 has the first (one song) concert. It's pretty nice. When the song starts the stage is dumped and we are shown a pretty sweet music video.

Yes, going to /a/ 4 minutes before the episode airs is a bad idea.

EDIT: Oh, and rice bowl. *facepalm*
    Going to /a/ before watching any anime is a bad idea. For example, for the period when Toradora was airing /a/ was full of nothing but Toradora mixed with /b/. It was pretty bad.

I want to watch the latest episode of K-ON! now.

EDIT: Ricebowl? Ugh, after going to /a/, I don't see a bowl, only striped pantsu. *facepalm* FRC forums seems to be collectively facepalming today.
  • Going to /a/ before watching any anime is a bad idea.
    Going to /a/ period is a bad idea. That board is one of few boards on 4chan that kinda scares me.
  • Going anywhere on 4chan is a bad idea. If there's good stuff, it'll filter through to the rest of teh internets.