This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quake Live

Comments

• Playing on a Saturday morning is not realistic.
    Position in queue: 4574
    The queue sucks, I agree. However, it is still an actual beta, as opposed to a Google beta. Also, the queue really doesn't take that long to wait through.
  • Then again, I am not really a strong FPS-er, and I was constantly hitting L4D buttons to reload, zoom, or use a medkit. DAMN YOU, HOURS OF MUSCLE-MEMORY TRAINING ON ANOTHER GAME!
    Every time I run out of ammo or switch a weapon I end up mashing the right click button as if I could melee. Unfortunately, all I get is repeatedly zooming in and back out.
    This can be corrected by using the same button configurations for every game. Why don't you just change it?
    yea it was at 63,000 or so at some point in the evening yesterday.
  • Yea, I also found that I owned the bot and now I pay with extremely challenging opponents who use the rail gun a lot better then me ^_^
    yea it was at 63,000 or so at some point in the evening yesterday.
    63,000? Woah, the most I've ever seen was like, 5000-6000.
  • I've never played the old quake, so this is the business.

The skill level thing was strange. I was able to do the rocket jump on the second try and the side jumping on the second try, so I ended up with the hardest difficulty, and the bot promptly owned me in the beginning, but I came back to win 15 to 11. I jumped in a match late and got it handed to me, then I led the entire next game until the very end where I got owned all of the sudden.

I'm really having fun with this. :D
  • edited March 2009
    I'm having problems getting the plugin installed. I tried firefox, and I couldn't log in. I tried IE, and it would keep telling me to download the plugin. I tried using the IE-tab extension, and it works.

Anyway, the game is straight up quake 3, and I'm loving it. It seems that on 1 vs 1, I have a lot of trouble. However, when I play 8 vs 8 capture the flag I gained something like 1600 points while the person in second place had 800. I think that I'm better in terms of tactics than raw mouse pointing and button banging skill.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I think that I'm better in terms of tactics than raw mouse pointing and button banging skill.
    I like to stand back and lob grenades into crowds.
  • If you want to get better, play the insta-gib rail arena.
  • 63,000? Woah, the most I've ever seen was like, 5000-6000.
    It was probably a bug ^_^
    I have a friend that said he encountered a queueueu of 62,000. Maybe it's during peak times?
    I have a friend that said he encountered a queueueu of 62,000. Maybe it's during peak times?
    According to the site, the number of players at peak hours the other day was around 5000. It might go up and down day to day, but Its hard to imagine it going that high.
  • So, why has no one proposed a game night for this yet? My username is thecapm, friend me.
  • This reminds me that I am terrible at Quake style shooters.
  • So, why has no one proposed a game night for this yet? My username is thecapm, friend me.
    Because anytime anyone proposes a game night for anything, it roundly fails to occur.
    Because anytime anyone proposes a game night for anything, it roundly fails to occur.
    Yeah, so? Who are we to learn from our mistakes?
  • edited March 2009
    So, why has no one proposed a game night for this yet? My username is thecapm, friend me.
    Yeah, so? Who are we to learn from our mistakes?
    Count me me. (I'm European, so timezones might be a problem).
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • What's everybody's username? I'm Funfetus there too.
  • What's everybody's username? I'mFunfetusthere too.
    ditto
  • Why are there 2,000 people waiting in line on a Monday morning at 9:45?
  • Why are there 2,000 people waiting in line on a Monday morning at 9:45?
    Time zones.
  • I've never played Quake. Does it have a high difficulty?
  • I've never played Quake. Does it have a high difficulty?
    In terms of fpses, it's actually very simple to play. You don't even have to reload your weapons. The only controls you really need are:

1) four buttons on the keyboard to move around (usually W,A,S,D)
    2) a button to jump (spacebar)
    3) move the mouse to aim
    4) click the mouse to shoot
    5) spin the mouse wheel to change weapons
    6) use the right mouse button to zoom in (not really necessary)

It's the simplest and most pure PC fps experience you can get.

That being said, if you are a newb, you should be very glad the game has a skill matching system. The game is incredibly fast. A true fps newb playing against people with even moderate skill would just get killed instantly and constantly. Even with the skill matching system, I don't know if there are enough people playing who are true newbs to offer fun competition.

If you've never played a PC fps before, multiplayer quake is probably not the best place to start. You probably want to play Half-Life 1, or some other single player fps with a nice learning curve. You at least need a good handle on the keyboard/mouse controls if you're going to get even one frag.
  • Thanks, Scott! I will try a single player first, as you suggest.
  • I am Rhymenocerus.
  • I am Rhymenocerus.
    awesome name
  • Thanks, Scott! I will try a single player first, as you suggest.
    On the other hand, in Quake Live, you can practice against the training bot and/or bots as much as you want, set to whatever difficulty you want. That might be workable. However, if you're not too spoiled by modern graphics, Half Life 1 is a great game that everyone should probably play once.
  • I am Rhymenocerus.
    They call me the Hiphopapotamus. My lyrics are bottomless.

Shock of shocks, my name in Quake Live is TheWhaleShark.