This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quake Live

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You'd seriously pay (4x12=) $48 or $24 for a game that old?

Actually, for a game you'd get that much out of, it's not so bad (If you actually planned on playing it for a year.). I still think that paying for custom maps in a multiplayer game is a bitch though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You'd seriously pay (4x12=) $48 or $24 for a game that old?
    I wouldn't pay it because I don't play Quake Live very much. If I were one of these super hardcore guys, though, I'm sure I would. If you're into it enough, you'll pay whatever. Also, it's not exactly a game that old -- it's an update of a game that old, with new maps, rebalanced weapons, etc. For comparison, if they made a new Fallout game, developed by the original team, and it was using exactly the same 12-year-old technology and graphics of the original two Fallout games, I'd pay $100 for that shit. Probably more.
  • edited August 2010
    People will pay because it is the last remaining hardcore FPS that is still playable. It may be an old game, but what new game is in that genre that actually has people playing it? None, none games.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Spose I've been shopping in the bargain bin for too long. Today I picked up Stormrise for £3.
  • Spose I've been shopping in the bargain bin for too long. Today I picked up Stormrise for £3.
    I guess relative financial situations make a big difference too -- a lot of people wouldn't even think about $4/month, but for others, it's a significant sacrifice.
  • I could play new games, but they run badly and I've still got the entire Steam <£4 bargain bin and a small backlog to get through. Not to mention all the retro games I've still to try.
  • Kind of want to play this again. You may need to re-register if you haven't logged in for a while, my account had been deleted. Friend me: cyclpsrock
  • Oh I'm always up for this game.
  • If it works in chrome, I'm in.
  • I'm Neitokun. My friends list probably didn't carry over, so friend me.
  • wow they did delete profiles, but not mine ^_^
  • You know, every so often I think "Why don't I just start up an FRC clan?"

Then that picture of the cowboys herding the cats goes through my head.
  • You know, every so often I think "Why don't I just start up an FRC clan?"

Then that picture of the cowboys herding the cats goes through my head.
    In my experience, it's only worth it to have a clan for a game if that game is your primary deal. There are people who spend as much time playing Counter-Strike as I spend on GeekNights. For them, they have a clan with practices and scheduled tournaments and such. A clan works for that.

When you're someone like me who plays on and off and it is a tertiary geekery, a clan isn't necessary or helpful. Steam friends and groups are all that is needed.
  • I was deleted. Just re-registrated.
  • Now that I'm more in to the FPSin`, I like this game a lot more than when I was teh nubzor.
  • edited August 2011
    Now that I'm more in to the FPSin`, I like this game a lot more than when I was teh nubzor.
    Can you launch someone into the air where they get fragged on your rocket while bhopping and then rocket jump to safety? If not, you are still teh nubzorz.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Now that I'm more in to the FPSin`, I like this game a lot more than when I was teh nubzor.
    Can you launch someone into the air where they get fragged on your rocket while bhopping and then rocket jump to safety? If not, you are still teh nubzorz.
    I'm not saying I'm Fatal1ty here. I'm just saying I'm better enough that I can have much more fun in a game like this.
  • I'm not saying I'm Fatal1ty here. I'm just saying I'm better enough that I can have much more fun in a game like this.
    I see you have crossed the chasm of "die instantly and never hit anything" and entered the realm of "sometimes get a frag and maybe even learn what the Quad damage looks like."
  • "die instantly and never hit anything"
    I think you have the games mixed up that. That's Counter Strike.
  • "die instantly and never hit anything"
    I think you have the games mixed up that. That's Counter Strike.
    It's really any skill game of direct versus competition when a nub plays against experience players.. Even Age of Steam falls in this category. I played it once, and went bankrupt without building anything.
  • I'm not saying I'm Fatal1ty here. I'm just saying I'm better enough that I can have much more fun in a game like this.
    I see you have crossed the chasm of "die instantly and never hit anything" and entered the realm of "sometimes get a frag and maybe even learn what the Quad damage looks like."
    Basically, yes. I'm at the point where the basic mechanics of the game are in my grasp, such as Rocket Jumping and Crouching Rocket Jumping, but the more refined techniques are still out of reach.
  • Neat, I'll have to check this out once I get home.
  • Basically, yes. I'm at the point where the basic mechanics of the game are in my grasp, such as Rocket Jumping and Crouching Rocket Jumping, but the more refined techniques are still out of reach.
    Learn strafe-jumping. You will never stop.
  • Learn strafe-jumping. You will never stop.
    This!
    I actually never found Rocket Jumping to be that great of a skill usually for me, I know the arc your going to fly in and I just pick you off with another rocket or a railgun shot.
  • I assume it's not so simple as jumping while just strafing left and right.
  • I'm pretty sure there's a "Training Mode" button in QL where it'll teach you how.
  • Man, I haven't played this forever. In a couple weeks when I'm back at college I'm totally game for FRCF weekly matches or something like that.

• Now on Steam
  • Man that brings back nostalgia. I forgot how 3 dimensional maps are supposed to be and that accuracy counted (Well it still counts in CS:GO).