This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2009

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Missed Otakon, Missed SDCC, Missing Conneticon, Gonna Miss PAX...

STUPID EAST COAST CONS! STUPID MONEY DEPENDENT SOCIETY!!!!!
    What about THE ORIGINAL PAX? I thought you were going.
    Yeah, I meant the original PAX. Even if I use AirBNB to find a cheaper place to stay, drive up on thursday night, allowing $200 for expenses (food, bus fare, and impulse purchases), plus registration, it'll come out to nearly $700. I can't afford that right now. My textbooks are going to cost me nearly that much.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Pete, do you have a list of the songs you played as examples in your metal panel?
  • Missed Otakon, Missed SDCC, Missing Conneticon, Gonna Miss PAX...

STUPID EAST COAST CONS! STUPID MONEY DEPENDENT SOCIETY!!!!!
    What about THE ORIGINAL PAX? I thought you were going.
    Yeah, I meant the original PAX. Even if I use AirBNB to finda cheaper place to stay, drive up on thursday night, allowing $200 for expenses (food, bus fare, and impulse purchases), plus registration, it'll come out to nearly $700. I can't afford that right now. My textbooks are going to cost me nearly that much.
    Find them online? See if you can get away with the last edition? Have someone who works at the bookstore give you a break?
  • edited August 2009
    Pete, do you have a list of the songs you played as examples in your metal panel?
    The playlist was, in order of playing:

Swallow the Sun - "Tomorrow Never Came"
    Nevermore - "The Psalm of Lydia"
    Iron Maiden - "The Flight of Icarus"
    Nightwish - "Bye Bye Beautiful"
    Therion - "An Arrow From the Sun"
    Bloodbath - "Eaten"
    Limbonic Art - "Legacy of Evil"
    Waking the Cadaver - "Tire Iron Emblugeonment" (note: I don't actually like these guys; I just needed an example of pig squeal vocals)
    Strapping Young Lad - "Love"
    Belphegor - "The Ancient Enemy" (note: I also don't necessarily enjoy this song too much. It's literally 4 minutes of blast beats with some growling and guitar)
    Riverside - "O2 Panic Room"

If you're wondering, the artists whose pictures I showed during those playings were, in order, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbot (Pantera) for the electric guitar, Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) on the vocals, and Chris Adler (Lamb of God) on the drums.

If I run this panel again elsewhere, I'm definitely not going to be lazy about the music, and will actually just generate the clips I need instead of skipping around in a song. That was a mistake on my part.

EDIT: Also, trog, why the hell didn't you introduce yourself to me if you were in the crowd? I'm always excited to meet forumites in the flesh.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Connecticon was great, I didn't get out to many panels (the Super Art Fight was awesome) and do much else besides hang out in the dealers room, but it was still a lot of fun.

Also met Nuri today and didn't realize until I read her business card as I was walking away from the booth.
  • Playing Burning Wheel with Luke Crane is one of the best experiences a human being can have. Today was a good day.
    I don't know, the demo Alex ran with Katsu, Uncle Yo, Corbin, and my younger brother Matt was pretty awesome. Katsu managed to critically fail an attack and rick-roll the whole group in the same session.
  • Has anyone heard yet what the attendance was for Connecticon, even if only an approximate figure?
  • Has anyone heard yet what the attendance was for Connecticon, even if only an approximate figure?
    It was similar to last year's attendance, so somewhere roughly around 6000 or so. But, that's based entirely on hearsay.
  • edited August 2009
    I will be uploading an entire archive of Connecticon photos including those of Scrym, Emily, and the rest of the Front Row Crew. Tomorrow I shall be getting more pics which will complete it.
    Come on, why did you take so many pictures of us and then go "everybody look?" (slightly annoyed) You were flashing your camera the whole time. It felt like the paparazzi was following me.

edit: I'm sorry, that was kind of harsh. But seriously, it's hard keep a relaxed atmosphere when someone keeps following you everywhere and filming you. You were always really close behind me, tripping my feet up.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited August 2009
    Come on, why did you take so many pictures of us and then go "everybody look?" (slightly annoyed) You were flashing your camera the whole time. It felt like the paparazzi was following me.
    Haha, for real now?

Either way, sounds like you guys had fun. I need to make a note to save up/prepare for this one next year (unless it interferes with tying the knot type-stuff that is.)
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • It felt like the paparazzi was following me.
    Hey now, don't go getting famous if you can't handle the paparazzi. :P
  • But then all the world will know about my computer moe-tan obsession!
  • edited August 2009
    But then all the world will know about my computer moe-tan obsession!
    That's the price you pay for fame. Just don't go into politics, or else they'll find all of your Mac OS tans. Try explaining that to the American public.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I think it would be problematic having a president who liked Hetalia fandom in the first place. Foreign relations would be very weird.

"We're allied with Finland because he's so cute!"
    "France, you stay away from us, you pervert! No diplomacy for you!"
    "Hey, Japan, I think you and England should get together in a gay way."
  • Yeah this was pretty much the best Connecticon that I've ever been to. I really enjoyed the pannels that were with other members of the crew and not just Rym and Scott, the Kendo pannel being my favorite. Also, Luke Crane is made of amazing and now I have to get Burning Wheel immediately.
  • I lol'd at how the FRC was fawning over Luke Crane.
  • We like to promote his stuff. He's a cool dude.
    I saw some listeners fawning, but I sure wasn't. I was mostly trying to wrangle him to where we needed him to be. It's surprisingly hard to get people to stay in one place.
    He makes a quality product and he's an excellent GM.
  • Yeah, the crew has seen him enough that we don't "fawn"
    We do talk up his games at panels, but as individuals, we just chillin'
  • Well there was this one "fawning" moment when I told them he ran the sword demo for me and basically Katsu and Uncle Yo went "Oh snaps who did you play" "It was amazing right?"
  • Well there was this one "fawning" moment when I told them he ran the sword demo for me and basically Katsu and Uncle Yo went "Oh snaps who did you play" "It was amazing right?"
    Who DID you play?
  • I was the robber
  • We like to promote his stuff. He's a cool dude.
    Yeah, he was cool and I enjoyed his company.
    Yeah, the crew has seen him enough that we don't "fawn"
    I don't know, Rym was pretty excited Friday when Luke wanted to have dinner with FRC people.

Keep in mind, I'm just messing with you guys. More of "ha ha, you guys are fan boys," than "I can't believe you guys were being such losers!" It's all in good fun.
    <.<
    >.>
    Whoever said I was gonna post those pics? I upload maybe 30% of the pics I take at any kind of event like this cause I take into account what it is and why it wouldn't be a good idea to let the public see them. I mostly keep those unused pics for posterity as I thought they were interesting, funny, or both.
    I have a similar obsession, but instead of computer moe-tans, it's Moemon.
  • edited August 2009
    But then all the world will know about my computer moe-tan obsession!
    I have a similar obsession, but instead of computer moe-tans, it's Moemon.
    If I get famous should I worry about the...fujoshi thing? :P
    Post edited by Viga on
  • If I get famous should I worry about the...fujoshi thing? :P
    Answer to that should always be - What fujoshi thing?
  • I don't know, Rym was pretty excited Friday when Luke wanted to have dinner with FRC people.
    I don't think you understand. Rym is ALWAYS like that. It's not just Luke Crane.

If I do ConnectiCon next year, I won't be in the Dealer's Room, and I'll actually be able to socialize with you peeps. It was cool to meet a few of you!