This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

Comments

• Also, if you are actually starting a business, you may want to incorporate, create an LLC, ect. to protect your personal assets and credit.
    Yes, definitely check these out. Depending on what sort of business you run, you may want some liability protection. As a Sole Proprietor, if someone sued me they could tap my personal resources as well as those officially allocated to the business. I don't own a house or stocks or anything of huge value, so it's not a big deal. However, I also am a retail business. If you are selling a service, it is generally highly recommended to get some sort of incorporation or limited liability coverage.
  • The main problem is that our lease forbids us from running a business from this house. We need some other business address in order to do anything.
  • The main problem is that our lease forbids us from running a business from this house. We need some other business address in order to do anything.
    Find a very chep store front/office or get a something like a Regus office.
  • Get a P.O. box.
  • Get a P.O. box.
    You can run a business from a P.O. Box? What if someone sends you something by UPS or FedEx?
  • You can run a business from a P.O. Box? What if someone sends you something by UPS or FedEx?
    Time for one of those fake "suites" at a mail drop store.
  • Get a P.O. box.
    You can run a business from a P.O. Box? What if someone sends you something by UPS or FedEx?
    No. On the form I registered with, it required an actual physical address, not just a PO box.

It might be something you could negotiate with your landlord. If it's simply working from home and not using the house as a storefront, the landlord might be willing to work with you.
  • Also check on the zoning for your house. It may be out of the landlords hands if the house is not zoned properly.
  • The type of business will affect what zones you can operate in. For instance, people selling crafts on the internet can operate from their homes (at least here), but you can't operate a retail storefront from your home.
  • Also check on the zoning for your house. It may be out of the landlords hands if the house is not zoned properly.
    Why? Let's assume the area is zoned for residential and office use. It's the landlord's building. Can't they decide what they want or don't want taking place in their own building?
  • Can't they decide what they want or don't want taking place in their own building?
    Which is why I want to buy a house. I hate having to deal with a landlord, even a nice one.
  • Scott, your optimism over your job loss is amazing. I only wish that if I find myself in the same situation I could have the dignity and vigor that you are showing man.
  • Scott, your optimism over your job loss is amazing. I only wish that if I find myself in the same situation I could have the dignity and vigor that you are showing man.
    I don't know why you all can't grasp that he didn't like his job so he didn't work to keep his job. It's not amazing, it's self-confidence that you were getting underpaid and could probably find something at least as good without the B.S. :-p
    edited March 2009
    Scott, your optimism over your job loss is amazing. I only wish that if I find myself in the same situation I could have the dignity and vigor that you are showing man.
    He didn't enjoy working there and was already looking for another job. When you are at that point, why would you get upset when they decide to bump you out?

Beaten by 36 seconds. Dammit Cremlian!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Touché Cremlian, touché.
  • edited March 2009
    I understand he didn’t enjoy working there, Unlike Scott I probably don’t have enough money put away to weather the period of unemployment. Where as Scott can probably go two or three years on his savings I could only last a few months. So I guess it’s all relative to your situation.
    Post edited by RatChicken on
  • I get why he isn't bummed about losing his job, but I would be annoyed that they have cause because fighting for unemployment can be a pain.
  • edited March 2009
    I don't know why you all can't grasp that he didn't like his job so he didn't work to keep his job. It's not amazing, it's self-confidence that you were getting underpaid and could probably find something at least as good without the B.S. :-p
    I don't think it's quite that simple. Anyone who is financially conservative knows that this isn't the most prudent way to change jobs.

I think Scott's issue was that he was inclined to be complacent and unhappy instead of tackling the problem. Getting let go was a blessing insomuch as it gave him what he wanted in the long run.

Like I said... I'm sure it will work out fine. For someone who is good at what they do, why wouldn't it? In the long run it will be a good thing. But in the short run, the "planning" was a little wonky. But if that's what it took, it's a net positive.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Indeed, my fiscally conservative self is none too pleased. But really, there wasn't any way for me to tackle the problem. I wasn't going to quit before I found another job. I wasn't going to work more hours and do a bunch more work, for the sake of my health at least. They fired me before I was able to quit, so I didn't really have a choice.
  • ..and so, we are here, and this is now. We must do the job that is in front of us.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh, Kilarney, don't get me wrong, I would never ever advise someone to quit a job before they had another one lined up, especially if they have any sort of financial responsibility. I was just responding to the "I love Scott's attitude part" of the comment.

Scott your health is failing?

I know what you can do with your free time.... CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN!
    Post edited by Cremlian on

• Scott your health is failing?

I know what you can do with your free time.... CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN!
    Who said my health is failing? I most definitely can not climb the mountain now. If I don't have insurance, what will I do if I get hurt?
  • You mentioned "for your Health" ^_^ I took it literally to say climb the mountain :-p
  • edited March 2009
    I wasn't going to quit before I found another job. I wasn't going to work more hours and do a bunch more work, for the sake of my health at least.
    Good point. No winning choice there. Although I can't imagine how a 20-something would have their health impacted by working some more hours. Was it that bad?

I'm too risk averse when it comes to financial matters. It's something I really wish I could overcome. Goodness knows that I could be making a LOT more money right now. I just can't get past the idea of assuming more risk. I enjoy making a dollar, but I HATE to lose a dollar.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Getting fired sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hope that you are able to do exactly what you want. I do agree with Hungry Joe, however, file for unemployment. Also, if you're running an internet business with a P.O. Box or UPS store address, that could work for years for you, especially considering what you do. If you are selling services no one is going to care.

Alternatively, you could just be Rym's house husband. :-)
  • I wasn't going to quit before I found another job. I wasn't going to work more hours and do a bunch more work, for the sake of my health at least.
    Good point. No winning choice there. Although I can't imagine how a 20-something would have their health impacted by working some more hours. Was it that bad?

I'm too risk averse when it comes to financial matters. It's something I really wish I could overcome. Goodness knows that I could be making a LOT more money right now. I just can't get past the idea of assuming more risk. I enjoy making a dollar, but I HATE to lose a dollar.
    Scott's a programmer. More hours of work = more hours sitting in a chair hunched over a keyboard, staring at a monitor. Not the greatest for your general health and well-being.
  • edited March 2009
    Get a P.O. box.
    Alternate Delivery Location (ADL)

We use this at work for a lot of our smaller deliveries. Prevents them getting sent to the wrong address since most of the packages are high value. If the companies if you go with route are willing to cooperate you could game this system.

Fed-ex would be a problem since they don't have this type of service that I am aware of yet.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Scott's a programmer. More hours of work = more hours sitting in a chair hunched over a keyboard, staring at a monitor. Not the greatest for your general health and well-being.
    That, and if I had more hours, and the commute, and the podcast, that means a lot less sleep.
  • Also, more hours means that the employees get more tired, tired employees loose moral and get sloppy, so it's always in the best interest of the company to limit the work hours per day per employee. Face it, after 5 or 6 hours of work, you hardly do anything besides count the minutes to punch out.
  • Also, more hours means that the employees get more tired, tired employees loose moral and get sloppy, so it's always in the best interest of the company to limit the work hours per day per employee. Face it, after 5 or 6 hours of work, you hardly do anything besides count the minutes to punch out.
    Let me ask this question.

Where in the world do people work more than 5 or 6 hours a day other than the United States, slaves, sweat shops (effectively slaves), or workaholics?