This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

Comments

• So Scott, with all the time you have on your hands, we're going to see the new website, t-shirts, and all the other stuff you've been shit-talking about any day now, right?
  • edited March 2009
    Talking about feel of relief - I just changed my job too (inside the company) to a different group and only after that I noticed how much the old job had stressed me. From the outside it might seem like a small change but to me I felt really like starting a new job and boy am I so happy about having a fresh start.

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to understand your situation at work clearly and you can appreciate the change only after you've done it. If Scott felt the job was not ok and it was as clear feeling as it was, I can only congratulate you even though the new situation might be a challenge. But sometimes that is just what we need.
    Post edited by JoeLamer on
  • Talking about feel of relief - I just changed my job too (inside the company) to a different group and only after that I noticed how much the old job had stressed me. From the outside it might seem like a small change but to me I felt really like starting a new job and boy am I so happy about having a fresh start.

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to understand your situation at work clearly and you can appreciate the change only after you've done it. If Scott felt the job was not ok and it was as clear feeling as it was, I can only congratulate you even though the new situation might be a challenge. But sometimes that is just what we need.
    QFT. The same thing happened to me in December. After switching departments, I started exercising, eating right, and generally taking care of myself again. I hadn't even realized just how depressed I had been until I it was over.
  • So Scott, with all the time you have on your hands, we're going to see the new website, t-shirts, and all the other stuff you've been shit-talking about any day now, right?
    Yea, those are a few good things we all will get out of Scott having all this free time.
  • Scott, you should make a log of what you worked on and for how many hours. It is a great way to minimize goofing around and feel like you have accomplished something even when it is slow going.
  • You know, this could make a good drinking game.
    Way a head of you on this one. Whenever Scott whines you drink... Tis a dangerous game indeed.
    Way a head of you on this one. Whenever Scott whines you drink... Tis a dangerous game indeed.
    My cast iron liver takes offense.
    My cast iron liver takes offense.
    We drink by the liter around these parts. Games are very short-lived.
  • A few touching images of Scott's unemployment adventure.

• edited March 2009
    A few touching images of Scott's unemployment adventure.

I wish I could. I wish I might. Have a long haired beauty to spend time with tonight
    What? I heard something. Did my wish come true?
    OMG! WTF! Get me out of here!!!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Haha, Nice.
  • A few touching images of Scott's unemployment adventure.

Magic Mirror, on the table, send me a hot lover, if you are able.
    OMG! It's him! It's Rym!
    Thank you, oh thank you, magic pane. I swear I'll never doubt you again!
    Jesus, if I were living in a house in which Rym was liable to unexpectedly show up wearing only his underpants, I'd have to start abusing some sort of illicit substance.

What substance could Scott start abusing?
  • Scott was inconsolable last night, even though I made the two of them sukiyaki.

He is in a funk, that mood that causes him to refuse cake.

No to freelancing: He wants a steady stream of money.
    No to working at a similar 9-5 job: He doesn't have freedom.
    No to working holiday in Europe: He will be lonely.
    No to teaching English in Japan: He wants to teach computers.
    No to teaching Computers in English in Japan: He could teach computers here.
    No to teaching Computers in high school here: High schools don't pay enough.
    No to teaching Computers at the community center: It would be difficult to arrange.
    No to starting his own repair business: It is risky and he would need a loan, maybe.
    No to working at as a developer at Rym's company: Perl and C++
    No to an adventure: I am Bilbo and I don't want to leave my Hobbit hill etc. etc.

Scott, just let me hug you already. What do you want? Scrooge's money bin, I guess. Diving into your piles of gold.
  • When a hard line idealist/perfectionist meets reality, turmoil ensues.
  • Jesus, if I were living in a house in which Rym was liable to unexpectedly show up wearing only his underpants, I'd have to start abusing some sort of illicit substance.
    Am I queer or something? What's wrong with someone walking around in their boxers? The same happens on the beach! Hell, on the beach you even have fat lards in speedos, that is bad, there's nothing bad with a fit dude in boxers.
    He is in a funk, that mood that causes him to refuse cake.
    Ouch, refusing to eat cake? How bad is this concerning Scott on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being very bad. It'd be 10 for me, Nine love some cake.
  • edited March 2009
    He'll find something soon.

He made the following comments in the "depression" thread:

(BEGIN SERIES OF APRECHE QUOTES)

If you have valuable skills, there is nothing to worry about. In fact, if there is a depression, that would be great for me. Even if we're talking great depression levels, I would still easily be able to find a way to use my skills to get money.

The early '90s tech crash was a unique event. People were investing like crazy in trendy new Internet businesses before those businesses knew how to make money. This is the second go, and we know how to make money this time, and we know not to do stupid IPOs. Most of the people who lost their jobs that first time were high school kids who got jobs writing the HTMLs and the CGIs because nobody else knew how. Those kids have since gone to college and gotten real jobs. All the entrepreneurs from that time period are still around, and are still loaded. Most of the major players in the scene are people who came out of the '90s bust.

The only people who can get hurt are a handful of silicon valley venture capitalists. Since there are no IPOs anymore (many reasons for this) all of these Twitters, Pownces, etc. either disappear, or they get bought by someone who actually has money. Google, News Corp., Yahoo, Microsoft, etc. make plenty of money. Buying a few unprofitable Internet businesses will not even phase them, even if they are complete disasters. I'll start worrying when it looks like the big boys are in trouble.

Even if there is a real reason to be worried, worrying won't help. Just do everything within your power to make things the best they can be, and whatever happens happens.

Nope, because I have moneys and it is time to buy a cheap house.

Let's say it is as bad as you say. Heck, let's pretend it's even worse than you say. What can you do about it? If you can't do anything about it worrying will only succeed in making you feel worse. Accept it, deal with it, move on.

Well, if you've hedged, saved, planned, and cross-trained, what else can you do? If you've already done all you can, you are in the same position as someone who can do nothing. Worrying is still a waste. If you haven't done all you can, what are you sitting around worrying for? You should be out doing.

They lost their jobs, and were unable to find new ones. That implies they weren't always working to make sure they had marketable skills.

However, for the vast majority of things in life, there is a way out. It might not be a pleasant way out, but it exists. If you refuse to take it, you have only yourself to blame.

You said it yourself. Move to Ohio. What's wrong with moving to Ohio? I may not like Ohio as a state, but if that's what I needed to do in order to get paid, I would go instantly. Adapt to survive.

Over the course of any person's life, things will suck. They will, however, suck much much less if you just suck it up and deal with it. Do absolutely everything you can do within your power to decrease suckage, and in the end it really won't be so bad.

Nobody said it was going to be easy. But hard does not mean impossible. You gotta do what you gotta do. If there are options available, an you don't take advantage of them, don't go looking for pity.

I am confident that I can find a new job inside of a week.

And in the worst economy Greenspan has ever seen, I am getting ready to buy a house for super cheap. Be glad we're not in that country where inflation is so high that the price of goods rises faster than it takes to wait in line at the checkout aisle.

For me. My financial situation is better than it was before this crisis business.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Doesn't he have an interview today? For a job that pays money?
  • While watching the Office last night I was thinking of Scott.
  • Doesn't he have an interview today? For a job that pays money?
    I believe so.
  • edited March 2009
    Hopefully Scott is/will do well in his interview today. My boss is checking in with one company, but I'm trying to persuade them to hire Scott for a one-time consulting gig.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I thought he said these were two things he wanted to do before.

No to teaching Computers in high school here: High schools don't pay enough.
    No to starting his own repair business: It is risky and he would need a loan, maybe.
  • Wow, it feels odd to learn that Scott lost his job on the same day that I started my new one... I was laid off in December, nine days before Christmas, to be exact.

I worked for a small digital media duplication company, one that did nothing but hemorrhage employees and resources the entire two years I was there. So yeah, I saw the writing on the wall but I totally failed to notice the other three walls crashing down upon my head.
  • Don't be so hard on him, he's just waiting for something perfect to come along and land in his lap (Hopefully wearing more than Rym when he does so.).

So Scott, what are you going to do? Be comfortable and wait or endure hardship for something you really want?
  • How was your interview, Scott?

Hope it went well and that it is a job you would enjoy!
  • While I hope for more GN content to be completed, I do hope you were successful in your interview.
  • I'm a bit late to the thread, and I don't have time to read the whole thing, but what the hell...

Back in 2002 I was fired, but offered a new job at the same company a few days later. Then in 2003 I quit and have been self employed since. It took two years to get myself back to the same level of income. Sounds bad, but quitting my job was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Good luck in your new adventure, Scott!
    Haha. I did, too. I was thinking of Scott while watching Mr. Scott.
    Haha. I did, too. I was thinking of Scott while watching Mr. Scott.
    Especially the part where he was telling everyone in the break room his quitting story and Oscar piped up about how no one is hiring right now.

I also laughed when Jim shouted to Michael, "It's monster.com."
  • wow its been quite awhile since I've logged onto this site.
    upon reading this thread i have an observation for kilarney.
    if you think working for a company that micro manages if you are a minute or 2 late try working for the united states postal service.
    i had 4 tenths of a minute overtime last week so this friday i was sent home a half hour early to make sure i wouldn't get any this week.
    this evening at work while sorting the outgoing mail for the entire state of south dakota i pushed my machine until it was running at 110% output and my supervisor sat and watched me the entire time criticizing me for letting my machine run dry while retrieving more mail.
    but i dont want to complain i have a job that pays well for now.
    and to make another observation wow what an end to the formula 1 race today
  • and to make another observation wow what an end to the formula 1 race today
    Hello Team Brawn. No wonder Ferrari are finished.