This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Apart From Breasts and Man Parts...

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
What about all the inside parts you like in a person you would date?

I like someone who is smart and knows more than me about things. Mostly because I like to learn from people. They have to be a geek of something. Not necessarily an anime geek, but it does help if they are an anime fan. I like artsy boys but I also like tech heads as well. Someone who gives me confidence when I'm feeling low. Someone who I can talk to about topics or events my friends aren't really into. Someone that can keep up with me or I have to keep up with. I like them straightforward with their thoughts and feelings and someone who cools me down if I'm angry. I also love it when a guy needs me.

Ahh~ Now I really can't wait for my love to get home.

Comments

• What about all the inside parts you like in a person you would date?
    I like vaginae hot and wet.
    A sense of maturity and restraint where appropriate.
  • edited May 2009
    I like interesting people. What constitutes interesting depends quite a bit on the person in question. Generally, I like a girl who's intelligent - and I mean really intelligent - preferably intellectual (which is not quite the same as being intelligent), and has actual opinions. Goals, desires, and passions are all requirements for someone I would want to consider seriously dating.

Confidence also wins the day; I've heard more than one otherwise attractive girl say something like "I don't know what to talk about around all you smart people," and let me tell you, that's a boner killer right there. I understand that having healthy relationships is an excellent way to actually build up one's confidence, but I'm past the point in my life where I'm interested in fixing people. Get some confidence, express some desires, have some opinions, and then get back to me. It's part of being mature.

It also helps if she has actual musical preferences. I know a lot of people who say "Oh, I listen to pretty much anything;" that, to me, signals somebody who lacks the confidence to have an opinion and to express that opinion.

I don't need a girl who's an atheist, but if they're religious, they have to be at least open to discussion on the topic. They have to be otherwise reasonable except for believing in an invisible sky man. If you actually believe that there's a Hell, and you believe that you'll really go there if you don't lead a good life, then I'm most likely not going to be interested.

I'm also a fan of challenging all of these ideas at all times. Relationships are inherently personal, and as such, I find that applying (too many) strict rules is a bad thing, and being unwilling to challenge what you think you already know about relationships is also a bad thing. Ultimately, relationships help us grow as people, and you can't grow unless you're willing to explore everywhere, including places you don't want (or think you don't want) to go.

That doesn't mean that you should date somebody who's physically abusive just because you've never been abused. I don't need to stab myself in the eye with a pencil to be reasonably assured that it's a bad thing. But, for example, I have a "rule" about not dating coworkers (now, at least). That doesn't mean I'll never date a coworker. My theories change as I gather new data and test new hypotheses.

So, to sum up: It's complicated.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I like girls who are adventurous. I'd like to be able to turn to them and say, "want to go driving and see what happens?" and get a yes. I'd like her to be at least somewhat tech saavy, so that if I say, "Yeah, so it turns out someone turned the DHCP server on the router off" I wont get a completely blank look.

I think I just want a girl from XKCD...
    A sense of humour.
    A sense of humour humor.
    Proper spelling.
  • Proper spelling.
    Seriously?
    A sense ofhumourhumor.
    Proper spelling.
    I thought it was one of those cases where the "u" is optional. Like in "Flavour" or "Colour"?
  • edited May 2009
    What about all the inside parts you like in a person you would date?
    A sense ofhumourhumor.
    Proper spelling.
    Someone informed enough to know about American and British English spelling differences.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Proper spelling.
    Seriously?
    No, I was being an ass. I do that quite a lot. Besides, who wants to take spelling lessons from people who couldn't manage to keep some colonists in check?
  • So, to sum up: It's complicated.
    Agreed. I don't think I could write down all of the little quirks or preferences I like.
  • Ok, aside from that aside (which got away from me in a way I should have expected from this forum), there are a whole load of things I look for in a prospective girlfriend. For much of my adult life I had many short flings with all kinds of young ladies, very few of which I expected to become girlfriends, nor would have wanted them as girlfriends. When I DID want a girlfriend (once I'd got my life sorted after a bad breakup) I made sure not to compromise on certain factors so as not to repeat bad experiences. Here are some (random order):

Emotionally available.
    Has passions I don't share.
    Has passions I do share.
    Has goals in life.
    Cares about her appearance.
    Is confident.
    Has own friends.
    Is clever.
    Is funny.

There were many more points, but these are some I remember.
  • Emotionally available.
    Has own friends.
    I've also discovered, in a similar way, that these two things are critical.
  • It also helps if she has actual musical preferences. I know a lot of people who say "Oh, I listen to pretty much anything;" that, to me, signals somebody who lacks the confidence to have an opinion and to express that opinion.
    This, this, and this.

Honestly, common interests aren't that important to me. They help, of course, but I tend to like people that just seem pure and honest. Integrity is hawt.
  • There isn't much for me to say that hasn't already been said, so I'll just leave this here:

That is hot.
  • I've never dated, and haven't had too many real crushes. But my current crush developed out of one factor: Kindness. I dunno, I'm not one of the modern day cool nerds. I'm sort of a shy, unconfident, secluded kid. It's not that people aren't nice to me, it's just that there's an adjustment period. For the girl I like, she was nice to me really fast. She didn't have to adjust, she doesn't seem to care that I'm a nerd. She still wants to be my friend. After talking to her, I also came to the conclusion that she was smart. Not an intellectual, but I think she's smarter than a lot of the people I see in school, and that's good enough for me. I don't need them to be super smart. I also think she's beautiful, but that usually goes without saying. So, to sum it up, I think they need to think, but not necessarily about lots of deep topics, just about what's important, and they need to be kind, but also sarcastic for when I get comfortable, because when I get comfortable and leave my shell, that's when I get sarcastic and become more of a typical nerd/geek type person.
  • I've never dated, [flowing, loving description of a girl]
    Go for it!
  • edited May 2009
    Self confidence means a lot to me, as does general intelligence. Humor...mine tends to be fairly dark/disturbing/wrong, so my significant other had better be able to deal with that.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • edited May 2009
    I've never dated, [flowing, loving description of a girl]
    Go for it!
    I know, I know...Apparently you also missed the part where I talked about my complete lack of self-confidence! I can never talk to her in person, or most other people for that matter. I have to talk to her on Facebook...It's pathetic, I know. I doubt she likes me back, and I'd rather keep our friendship un-awkward on her side than make things weird if she doesn't like me back. I am happy having her as a friend, because I still get that kindness. If she doesn't like me back, that kindness may go away. I dunno. I just want to play it safe until I can talk to her more. Unfortunately, we don't have the same classes, so I never see her. Whenever I do see her outside of classes, she's always talking to someone else, so I can never interrupt her or whatever...

Also, I have no car or driver's license. How could I do anything with her? It's not very practical...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • She still wants to be my friend... I doubt she likes me back...
    Maybe I'm strange, but I've found I tend to like the people I make friends with...
    Also, I have no car or driver's license. How could I do anything with her? It's not very practical...
    Does she have a car? Besides, what's wrong with public transport?
  • What depresses me is how quickly this "what I look for in a prospective partner" thread turned into a conversations about how awkward one can become around the opposite sex...
    You all disgust me.
  • She still wants to be my friend... I doubt she likes me back...
    Maybe I'm strange, but I've found I tend to like the people I make friends with...
    Does she have a car? Besides, what's wrong with public transport?
    I don't know, I don't believe she does. Well, she might. I've never asked her.
    I meant she doesn't like me romantically. She says she likes cute guitar players...I fit neither of those.
    As for public transport...We live in Rochester, NY. Public transportation is nonexistent in the town of Irondequoit where we live.
  • What depresses me is how quickly this "what I look for in a prospective partner" thread turned into a conversations about how awkward one can become around the opposite sex...
    You all disgust me.
    I mean really what did you expect.
    You all disgust me.
    Okay, I get it, don't go into threads and yell at other people for talking about what they please. Got it.
  • It a joke from another thread. It's like a little meme. It's not serious!
  • It a joke from another thread. It's like a little meme. It's not serious!
    Oh...I thought it was you copying me from what I said in the other thread that got everyone in a tizzy...Mah bad.
    God, I wish the internet had sarcasm detectors. I knew you were poking fun at what I had said before, but I wasn't sure if you were trying to make a point.
  • I have a little story that might make you feel slightly less hopeless, Axel. I was good friends with this girl for at least a year and I really liked her, but was unsure about her feelings for me. One night she invited me over so I could show her Doctor Who. While we were watching it, she started really flirting with me. By the next day we were dating. True story.

The only advice I can think to give you is to tell you to be less awkward near her and start hanging out with her in RL. Everyone here is going to tell you to go for it, but I know how hard that can be. The most important thing for you right now is to be less awkward and to build some real self-confidence. Maybe ask her to go to a movie with you and some friends, so it's not a date but you can still talk to her.
    You all disgust me.
    This is the funniest meme I've seen in a long time.
    You all disgust me.
    This is the funniest meme I've seen in a long time.
    I can't believe I started something...Although it's sorta making fun of me...Oh well...
  • I can't believe I started something...Although it's sorta making fun of me...Oh well...
    You didn't.