This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• 127 Hours was a very good movie, but I don't think it deserves all of the nominations it got. Also, being able to easily guess what is going to happen in the movie kind of kills the suspense.
  • Dracula Sovereign of the Damned. It was very much so Dave and Joel Fast Karate material. I'll now watch a real Dracula movie.
  • Kurosawa's High and Low is on Netflix streaming. According to Wikipedia Stray Dog, which I've also seen, may have been the first police procedural. However, High and Low is the best I've ever seen. All those CSI type shows need to learn a fucking lesson from this shit.
  • Lisa wanted to see Black Swan. It was terrible, pretentious, Aronofsky bullshit. I quickly grew tired of Nina's simpering tears and low self-esteem. Thinking back, there was no real catalyst for her madness. And the scenes where she got the ostrich legs and where the paintings all laughed at her were just too ridiculous.

The thing is, I really want to like this movie. I can understand why people like it so much: Symbolism, mystery, and exploration of the psyche are powerful tools. But the tools Aronofsky used to unravel the plot just seemed cheap. Fight Club did this so much better.
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Watching Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. The Flash is really really awesome, he's kind of like Sokka.
  • Bought the Toy Story trilogy today. Have not seen the 3rd one yet, but I'm sure I'll have great fun tonight watching all three back-to-back. :)
  • Just finished Toy Story 3, and it was quite unbelievable. The animation is just absolutely fantastic and the story had me laugh and actually had me cry, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. Just an outstanding piece of cinema. Plus, I got a personal kick out of the fact that one of the toys that features in it is a Totoro plushie :)
  • edited January 2011
    the story had me laugh and actually had me cry
    All that proves is that you're human.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • the story had me laugh and actually had me cry
    It looks like I am not human and my heart is as cold as ice ;P
  • It looks like I am not human and my heart is as cold as ice ;P
  • the story had me laugh and actually had me cry
    I saw Toy Story 3 at the theatre at my school and I was one of the few people who actually cried. I felt sorry for all of them.
  • Green Hornet is pretty terrific but I'm an easy sell.

Seth Rogan has such gorgeous doe-eyes.
  • I watched UHF last night. It was a good choice.
  • Watched The Expendables. Was mostly underwhelmed and not impressed. I can't really remember much except for a few cool things with Jason Statham, but I also fell asleep during the movie.
  • Saw Red recently with my room mates. Quite epic and hilarious.
  • I'm watching the original Karate Kid right now. This movie is way better than I remember it being.
  • I'm watching the original Karate Kid right now. This movie is way better than I remember it being.
    The Greatest Movie Ever podcast about it was a pretty good review as well.

Sweep the leg.
  • Watched Thank You for Smoking over the weekend. I'm surprised at how much I liked the film, despite not finding it that funny (I was led to believe it was quite funny).
  • Saw Red recently with my room mates. Quite epic and hilarious.
    I actually prefer the movie to the Comic - the comic is far less lighthearted and interesting. And it doesn't have Helen Mirren wrecking shit all over.
  • I saw Black Swan on Monday. It was great. In terms of everything technical from the acting, the choreography, direction, the dichotomy of colors, it was absolutely wonderful. But in terms of the overall story, I thought it was weak because the foreshadowing was too obvious.
  • Watched The Expendables. Was mostly underwhelmed and not impressed. I can't really remember much except for a few cool things with Jason Statham, but I also fell asleep during the movie.
    It's not a movie for girls.
  • edited February 2011
    Watched The Expendables. Was mostly underwhelmed and not impressed. I can't really remember much except for a few cool things with Jason Statham, but I also fell asleep during the movie.
    It's not a movie for girls.
    That movie isn't FOR anyone. Even most of the young men I know that have seen that said it wasn't worth the price of admission.
    Recently, when watching any movie trailers it occurs to me that almost all of the advertised movies that aren't "kid's" films seem to be made exclusively for teenage boys (and dumb ones at that). Sure, this has been an ongoing aspect of film marketing, but is it just me or has it gotten worse over the past five years?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • That movie isn't FOR anyone. Even most of the young men I know that have seen that said it wasn't worth the price of admission.
    That movie was worth both the $10 price of admission that I paid to see it in theatres and the $13 I spent to buy it on Blu-Ray.
  • but is it just me or has it gotten worse over the past five years?
    I think it's just you. Summer blockbusters tend to follow a formula - big explosions and shit - and action movies have always been aimed at teenage boys. Anything with fast cuts and bright explosions is designed to provide very visceral and "dumb" entertainment.

I'll tell you what I'm sick of - "Now in 3D!...and 2D in select theaters." Fuck you. 2D should be the default; put 3D in select theaters. OR FUCKING STOP WITH THIS 3D BULLSHIT.
  • but is it just me or has it gotten worse over the past five years?
    I think it's just you.
    Helen Mirren agrees with me, for what that is worth.
  • Summer blockbusters tend to follow a formula - big explosions and shit - and action movies havealwaysbeen aimed at teenage boys. Anything with fast cuts and bright explosions is designed to provide very visceral and "dumb" entertainment
    I honestly like movies like that, but The Expendables was just "blah" to me. It could have been just fine with less of the "bad asses" of action and just a few of them.

I guess my tastes are changing, but I still enjoy the action movies I grew up with. I also don't pay attention anymore to movie trailers or what movies are coming out as much, so whenever I see a movie poster I think, "Huh. A sequel to this, or that's a movie coming out?"

I'm also sick of 3D.
  • Helen Mirren agrees with me,for what that is worth.
    Who brings in the money and who doesn't that's what drives the industry.
  • I'll tell you what I'm sick of - "Now in 3D!...and 2D in select theaters." Fuck you. 2D should be the default; put 3D in select theaters. OR FUCKING STOP WITH THIS 3D BULLSHIT.
    On god yes. Fuck 3D. It's not nearly good enough yet for it to be the default format.
  • edited February 2011
    Helen Mirren agrees with me,for what that is worth.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Hollywood totally tries to appeal to males more often than females. I concur. However, I disagree that this is getting worse.

Really, if you take into account the independent and foreign film markets - which are still a small segment, yes, but which are always growing - I think the field is pretty ripe with good stuff.

It might be a byproduct of the fact that these action movies have ridiculously obnoxious trailers, too.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on