This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The Runaways was very entertaining. But I felt kinda dirty for watching it. Also same for Stains. Because they super sexualize very young girls. In Runaways Dakota Fanning is all in sexy panties and stuff. Same for 15 year old Diane Lane in Stains but she also get gets naked... Still aside from them making me feel a little pervy they both were very good.
  • There can be only one Highlander movie.
  • They never said they were using solid booster rockets. I know all about the cost of shipping to the moon. It is one of the plot points in one of my favorite novels, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." But thanks for assuming I am stupid. And It is a movie!!! When you saw Star Wars were you like, "Aw man they can't go into hyperspace! You can't exceed the speed of light!" No you either took it as movie or you thought maybe they have the tech to do it. They didn't say that they have the ability to ship to the moon cheaply, but the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Let me break it down for you:

What is the reason for keeping someone alone on the moon? This question is never answered.

- It can't be because lack of space, because there is way too much space.
    - It can't be because of lack of money, because the power company provides most of the power to Earth. They have money.
    - It can't be because it is too hard to lift another person to the moon, because we find out they can send a crew to fix a problem there very quickly and easily.

What is the reason for having ANYONE on the moon? This question is never answered.

- It can't be because robots are incapable, because the robot and AI on the moon base is very capable. All Sam does is pick up canisters of gas and shoot them back to Earth.
    - It can't be because they need a human backup in case something goes wrong, because if something goes wrong they can very easily and quickly send a crew from Earth.

But here is a big point: How much does it cost to develop, in secret, the technology to clone someone, including implanting fake memories, including setting up jamming towers around the base, including building a massive bunker underground, including all the people who have to keep it secret, including the cost to send the crews to keep the clones from discovering each other, including EVERYTHING that the conspiracy needs to stay secret? It costs a LOT! Way more than replacing someone on the Moon every few years.

So if lifting something from Earth to the moon is EXPENSIVE, the movie doesn't make sense as it would be cheaper to have a robot crew, or the minimum size and weight of the base, with the smallest building crew possible to set it all up. But we know lifting to the moon isn't expensive, as the size and obviously Earth-manufactured nature of most of the facility shows it is so cheap. My example is a table tennis table in a recreation room for a base built to hold ONE PERSON.

But if lifting something from Earth to the moon is CHEAP, the movie doesn't make sense at all. If it was cheaper than the conspiracy, there is no reason for the conspiracy to exist.

Getting my point yet?

When I watch a science fiction movie, I don't mind unexplained technology or magical seeming devices. This is part of the genre. No big deal. It DOES become a big deal when the reason for the story to exist is refuted by the facts as portrayed in the movie itself.
  • Tonight's sleepover movie lineup:
    • The Big Lebowski
    • Black Dynamite
    • The Blues Brothers
    • Shaun of the Dead
    Any number of them may or may not be watched. I'll see how it goes.
  • Let me break it down for you:
    Captain Tim, I wrote the above post for you. Please could you either respond to it with a cogent argument, or at least acknowledge that you missed my original point.
  • "Look, do you know how much it costs to lift anything to the moon? The ping pong table for one person? That would never make it. The leather arm chair? That would cost far too much to lift. The secret basement? What the hell? Go back and rewrite this shit."

That is pretty much what I was responding to. And I still maintain that if we do ever attempt to colonize the moon we will do so underground. Not at first, but when it becomes more established.
  • I was trying to be polite and just drop the debate.
  • So you are admitting you don't understand the post I wrote above, or the problems that I had with the movie? If so, that's fine, and we can drop it. But after writing a long explanation for your benefit, the polite thing to do isn't to ignore it, it's to respond, even to say you don't understand. Or, if you do understand, to refute the point that I've quite clearly outlined.
  • I understood your post and your problems with the movie. I was refuting the point you stated about shipping to the moon and building a basement. In your long post you elaborated on your point, so I guess you can say I misunderstood your idea about shipping because I took it as you wrote it. I agree with you on the other points. And I said so in my posts.
  • KUNG-FU TREACHERY
  • KUNG-FU TREACHERY
    You told him to keep an eye out for me.
  • Okay, my point not being that shipping a ping pong table or building a huge underground base isn't possible. My point was that if those things ARE possible, the entire story in the movie is rendered void. Which is the case. And which is why I found the movie stupid (except for all the cool stuff in it).

Also (spoilerish), if you are on the far side of the moon and drive for an hour or so, you will NOT see the Earth half way up the sky. This is taking poetic license with the movie, but does make me wonder why, if the base was within driving distance of line-of-sight radio communications with Earth, Sam didn't drive there before.
  • Yes, you made that clear in your second post. But in the first one you just talked about shipping costs. But its ok I like you. Lets be friends. Wanna hug it out?
  • Actually, the first point he made was that the conspiracy didn't make sense. He just elaborated on that when prompted.
  • You are correct sir.
  • But my offer to hug it out still stands.
  • You told him to keep an eye out for me.
    I THREW THAT SHIT BEFORE I WALKED INTO THE ROOM!
  • Hugs all round.
  • You told him to keep an eye out for me.
    I THREW THAT SHIT BEFORE I WALKED INTO THE ROOM!
    Quiet, or you'll wake up the other bitches.

Jason Statham Drives a Car and Kills People part 6 was just as good as the previous movies in the series. I really want the next movie to come out soon.
  • Jason Statham Drives a Car and Kills People part 6 was just as good as the previous movies in the series. I really want the next movie to come out soon.
    Which movie is part 6?
  • edited February 2011
    Jason Statham Drives a Car and Kills People part 6 was just as good as the previous movies in the series. I really want the next movie to come out soon.
    Which movie is part 6?
    I assume The Mechanic.
    In a similar vein, super stoked for Drive Angry.
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • Jason Statham Drives a Car and Kills People part 6 was just as good as the previous movies in the series. I really want the next movie to come out soon.
    Which movie is part 6?
    I assume The Mechanic.
    It is, in fact, The Mechanic.
    In a similar vein, super stoked for Drive Angry.
    Hell. Yes.
  • Anything with Nic Cage and his hair is good. CAGE RAGE EVERY DAY!
  • CAGE RAGE EVERY DAY!
    The movie was exactly what it said on the tin and that's all I really wanted.
  • Summer Wars FUCK YEAH!!!
    Hells yeah!
    I recently purchased it. I will eventually get to it. -____-
  • Oh mans I just watched Summer Wars with my crew. I'm definitely planning to bring that shit to the anime club, seems like its made for that kind of environment.