This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Summer Wars was lots of fun, but I would've liked the plot to make more sense.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It was basically the plot to the Digimon movie while taking out all of the Digimon.
  • The only problem I had with Summer Wars was that the antagonist tended to take looooong breaks between attacks when really he shouldn't have to regroup considering the nature of his form.
  • It was basically the plot to the Digimon movie while taking out all of the Digimon.
    Yep.
    I also have owned the movie for a week now, and can say I like the dub just as much as the sub minus one area when the family is practicing singing happy birthday for the grandma, because in the Japanese it was funny for it's Engrish, and none of that moment was carried over in the dub.
  • I just finished watching Ian Dury's biopic Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll. Now to try and sleep Im going with something light and funny. Something classic. The JERK!
  • The Man From Nowhere was really intense. It's the only movie I can think of that had violence that made me cringe. It's a lot like Park Chan Wook's Vengeance trilogy.
  • So, I just watched this Academy Award Best Foreign Film Nominee, Dogtooth.

My god, that was horrible. I have no idea how this movie has such high rating from critics. It's ungodly boring. There's no soundtrack or music, every piece of dialogue is filled with uncomfortable pauses or breaks, and it's just absurdly bland with the way everyone acts or interacts with one another. I get the message with this movie, that it's supposed to explore the problems with over-protecting your family. But it's completely bullshit, because there's no motive, there's no reason for any of this, and they have to exploit everything about the message with the most uncomfortable, boring forms of sex and violence. Complete with animal mutilation and characters with no personalities that you don't give a flying fuck about.

Screw this pretentious ass movie.
  • Watched the old Eastwood movie "Unforgiven" the other night, it was really good and makes me watch to consume some more Westerns.
  • Check out the Wild Bunch it's one of the best western classics out there.
  • edited March 2011
    The King's Speech
    Definitely worth watching. I very much liked Helena Bonham Carter in it.
    I read about the inaccuracies in the film beforehand, but ultimately they didn't really bother me.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Surrogates was a brilliant premise and a predictable resolution with a run-of-the-mill Bruce Willis action movie sandwiched in-between.
  • i just watched a Sheenariffic movie last night. Platoon. It also had Johnny Depp, The Green Goblin and Dr. Cox.
  • Surrogates was a brilliant premise and a predictable resolution with a run-of-the-mill Bruce Willis action movie sandwiched in-between.
    I agree for some reason there is a lot of hate for this movie.
    I agree for some reason there is a lot of hate for this movie.
    It's because he comic it is based off of is very good, and the movie deviated from the story so much that the whole movie suffered for it.
  • Jumper is a movie where Anakin Skywalker is dumb and teleports dumb.
  • I watched the "Nature of Existence" Tonight with my Humanist group afterward we got to skype call the director and talked with him for 45 minutes it was REALLY awesome.

I highly recommend the movie too it was very entertaining and enlightening.
  • Just finished rewatching The Karate Kid Part II. I had forgoten how much I love this movie. Brings back fond memories of childhood. Oh those were the days, my brothers and I pretending we know Karate and beating the crap out of each other in the back yard. Sigh.

Anyway. Very very few movies call their sequels Part II. Isnt that odd? Well now I am going to watch Daybreakers. Wish me luck.
  • Saw Rango this evening. That was a really solid flick. Johnny Depp totally works as the main character, and bonus points to Isla Fischer, Bill Nighy and Ned Beatty. The comedy is alright, but the action is amazing. The animation, character design, and score (Hans Zimmer) were all top-notch. I will say though, this isn't really a kids film, but it is perfect for Front Row Crew people.

Couple of notes for upcoming animated movies:

-Hop, saw commercials...the teaser was better. This movie will be half live-action, half animated. It could be better, but it's annoying related to Easter and has a villain with an accent.
    -Rio looks good, but they had to add a fucking character who raps. Way to ruin some enthusiasm.
    -Kung Fu Panda has potential, the animation certainly looks better, but I hope they polish the original charm of it.
    -Shrek: Puss in Boots looks bad. The fact that it's a teaser gives hope, but that hope is dash away once you know the Director and Writer is going to be Tom Wheeler, who was behind the show "The Cape."
  • I watched Assassination of a High School President and have not sorted my feelings on it. I want to like it, but there are some elements that are either juvenile-ishly overwrought or very clever, and it's hard to decipher exactly how those chips fall.
  • Rango was a really great movie. Very well animated, great direction and music, and loads of excellent meta humor. The character designs are all really grotesque, but in a good way. Depp delivers (no shock there), and Bill Nighy was great in his short part. I really, really recommend this, particularly to anyone who is an animation fan. The movie is bizarre, surreal, and very enjoyable.
  • Rango was a really great movie. Very well animated, great direction and music, and loads of excellent meta humor. The character designs are all really grotesque, but in a good way. Depp delivers (no shock there), and Bill Nighy was great in his short part. I really, really recommend this, particularly to anyone who is an animation fan. The movie is bizarre, surreal, and very enjoyable.
    I saw it last night, and agree with you. But during the whole film, I was wondering who the movie was intended for. Usually, you think animation is going to be for children, but I think most young movie-goers won't get the blatant Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas references (there are several). Lisa is not a film buff, has never seen a western, didn't understand the nods to all the western tropes, and barely caught on to the whole Clint Eastwood cameo, let alone the obvious homage to A Fistful of Dollars.

The same question could be raised about the dialogue. Rango's speech was chock-full of $10 words that kids aren't going to get. He talks very quickly. Other characters have rather thick accents.

I'd like to praise Rango for having the best CG I've seen, Avatar included. It's crisp and clear and many times photorealistic. Shadows and depth perspective are perfect. Absolutely amazing rendering. You know how sometimes blur effects are used to cover obvious problems with budget CG? None of that here.
  • I will see Rango. My skepticism is almost entirely averted now.
  • edited March 2011
    Rango was alright. Definitely not a kids movie, as everyone has said. There were a lot of jokes I found pretty shocking to be included, most blatantly the prostate joke, and it was also very bizarre. Overall, I really can't decide if I would ever recommend it to someone or go out of my way to watch it again, but I guess I enjoyed it?

Also, did anyone else catch the Podracing nod?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2011
    I've been thinking more about Rango. There were a surprising number of references to death and violence, especially for a time when "children's" movies are so sanitized. It was nice to see nonchalant use of guns in animation again.
    Also, did anyone else catch the Podracing nod?
    I choose not to accept the existence of any media containing podracing.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited March 2011
    I think kids will enjoy Rango, and the kids in the audience all seemed to like it and laugh along with the film. Kids contextually understand a lot of those ten dollar words and enjoy surrealism, even if they don't get the higher references. Kids loved Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, even though they likely didn't pick up on a lot of the homages to surrealist auteurs. The story's plot rather simple and has very accessible themes. That, combined with dashes of the zany, make it something that kids can understand and enjoy. However, I don't think Rango is exclusively a kids film.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2011
    Saw Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein last night. I really enjoyed it, after having just been introduced to Abbott and Costello a few days ago. I knew the Who's on First bit, bit didn't quite know who they where, so I searched for them on YouTube yesterday. Enjoyed the clips I found, and had a family movie night since it was streaming on Netflix.

I found them hilarious. Lots of little plays on words that had me laughing quite a bit. I also though it was cool that they had the actors who played the monsters in the movies from that time to take up those roles again, though I wished I could have seen Dracula and The Wolf Man in order to get the musical nods and other such things.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • On Scott's recommendation a couple months ago, I watched High and Low on Netflix streaming. And he was damn right, it is one of the best police procedurals I've ever seen. On top of that, it's my favorite Kurosawa film I've seen thus far. Excellent stuff.
  • edited March 2011
    Last night I saw Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. The one that was made by The Asylum and has robot dinosaurs.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • On Scott's recommendation a couple months ago, I watched High and Low on Netflix streaming. And he was damn right, it is one of the best police procedurals I've ever seen. On top of that, it's my favorite Kurosawa film I've seen thus far. Excellent stuff.
    I don't lie.
    Thanks to you I went and rewatched a different Toshiro Mifune movie, Seven Samurai. Now I'm in the mood for samurai movies so I'm probably going to watch a couple more Kurosawa movies then watch a few of the old Zatoichi movies from the 60's. Though at some point I'll get to watching High and Low in the midst of it all.