This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Ladder Theory is Crap

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Look, the point I keep bringing up again and again about ladder theory is that it is like a joke that uses stereotypes. They may not work in the real world but you laugh because there is some fundamental truth somewhere in there.
    Except that I don't. The mark of a good stereotype joke is that most of the people in the group it references find it humorous. I have never met a woman who found ladder theory funny, which makes me think it is less like the funny joke your Indian friend tells about his relatives and more like the racist humor that offends people, because it is jerky.
    However it is true that many women (and men) underestimate the amount of people that are attracted them them when I refer to ladder theory in a conversation it's usually to illustrate that point (which is when it was brought up with Emily).
    Yeah, but there are WAY better illustrations of this phenomenon.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited January 2010
    because I honestly don't believe that it is wrong,
    So, how's the Deluded, Sexist and sexless life going for you?

Also, I wonder how is this Less offensive to someone concerned with gender equality than, say, Sex in the City? If you flipped the genders in that show, and kept the plots identical where possible, and put it on TV, there would be an OUTRAGE - But because It's Four women, and not four men, it's perfectly acceptable.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2010
    Except that I don't. The mark of a good stereotype joke is that most of the people in the group it references find it humorous. I have never met a woman who found ladder theory funny, which makes me think it is less like the funny joke your Indian friend tells about his culture and more like the racist humor that offends people, because it is jerky.
    Well you just don't like funny things.though it's odd that you didn't attack the premise when I was talking about it in person, only when I clearly used ladder theory as an example of desperation in men (because of that stupid graph in the Things of the day thread). Which if you thought about it I WAS dissing the ladder theory :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • If you read the rest of his post, he posits that it is only true among a small demographic of shallow individuals who are pretty much jerks anyway.
  • edited January 2010
    "Can't We Be Friends" - Standard recorded by everyone from Bing Crosby to Ella Fitzgerald:

I thought I'd found the girl of my dreams,
    now it seems,
    this is how the story ends:

She's gonna turn me down and say,
    "Can't we be friends?"

I thought for once it couldn't go wrong,
    not for long,
    I can see the way this ends:

"Can't we be friends?"

Why should I care though she gave me the air,
    Why should I cry,
    heave a sigh,
    and wonder why?

I thought I found the gal I could trust,
    What a bust, this is how the story ends:
    "Can't we be just friends?"
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • because I honestly don't believe that it is wrong,
    So, how's the Deluded, Sexist and sexless life going for you?
    It's great! You know, aside from the fact that I cry myself to sleep every night on my couch naked while I watch Night Shift Nurses on repeat and cuddle against a pillow with a picture of my high school crush printed on it.
  • though it's odd that you didn't attack the premise when I was talking about it in person, only when I clearly used ladder theory as an example of desperation in men (because of that stupid graph in the Things of the day thread).
    Because all I remembered about ladder theory in the car was that it was a stupid site about how women want rich men and that they can't be "Just friends." Unfortunately, you linked to it in the TotD thread and it made me remember and get an angry mark! (#゚Д゚)
  • The fact that it is perfectly acceptable to have sexual attraction to friends.
    Really? Good, because I've always wanted to rail Rym.
  • The fact that it is perfectly acceptable to have sexual attraction to friends.
    Really? Good, because I've always wanted to rail Rym.
    Hey you, don't knock it if it's working for you. :P
  • edited January 2010
    Haven't you run for political office and don't you plan on running again? Isn't it a bad idea to put this kind of material out there?
    Just a note, about this since it was brought up. If you wanted to take me out by using out of context quotes using this forum, I think linking and quoting ladder theory would be the LEAST of my problems.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • We have had pretty funny conversations on the forum, that's for sure.
  • Just a note, I...s..t...i...nk...
  • We have had pretty funny conversations on the forum, that's for sure.
    Yea, I mean think of all the jokes that involve Rym and Scott.... They don't have to discriminate..
  • Hey you, don't knock it if it's working for you. :P
    I'm not knocking it. My eyes have been opened to new possibilities. I'm aquiver with anticipation.

Besides, I think he'd be sturdy enough. Might get him a helmet just to be on the safe side.
  • well we don't have to take Pete out of context :-p
  • Hey you, don't knock it if it's working for you. :P
    I'm not knocking it. My eyes have been opened to new possibilities. I'm aquiver with anticipation.

Besides, I think he'd be sturdy enough. Might get him a helmet just to be on the safe side.
    Especially if you guys are gonna be in the kitchen. I know how cooking gets you all worked up, but you really have to be careful in there.
  • You think we're all ugly, ScoJo? :'(
  • So, how's the Deluded, Sexist and sexless life going for you?
    Feels good man.
    How did you come to that conclusion?
  • 1. Your mean ladder says that we're not friends unless we're not attractive... we-... we're friends... right? o~o

2. I'm being very facetious.
  • 1. Your mean ladder says that we're not friends unless we're not attractive... we-... we're friends... right? o~o

2. I'm being very facetious.
    People always forget that both parties have to be available :-p
  • edited January 2010
    I wonder what Don Juan Tenorio and Casanova would think of the Ladder Theory.

Very possibly they would consider it their vindication.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    I don't think you're ugly. ~_^
  • I see! I know that I am very attractive, so I have to assume that most of my guy friends must be eying me like a piece of meat. They don't really value my friendship. I don't know why they keep hanging out with me when they know that I'm in a long term gay relationship, and engaged to boot.
    I also know that I am attractive enough to get almost anybody I want, but I chose a poor 2D animator, and I may have to be the main breadwinner for a while once I have a full teaching job. It's as if the things squashed into that %10 are actually important to me.

The ladder theory completely ignores variables such as shared memories, loyalty, and love. Also, it's part of the "Stupidness.com" network.
  • edited January 2010
    shared memories, loyalty, and love.
    Synaptic patterns, Pavlovian response, massively complex system of hormonal shifts and mammalian drives.
    Also, it's part of the "Stupidness.com" network.
    Strawman.

~_^
  • I see! I know that I am very attractive, so I have to assume that most of my guy friends must be eying me like a piece of meat. They don't really value my friendship. I don't know why they keep hanging out with me when they know that I'm in a long term gay relationship, and engaged to boot.
    Well, judging from the amount of friends I have hanging out with married women hoping they divorce..... :-p
  • Synaptic patterns, Pavlovian response, massively complex system of hormonal shifts and mammalian drives.
    Charming.
  • Synaptic patterns, Pavlovian response, massively complex system of hormonal shifts and mammalian drives.
    Charming.
    He's the life of the party, that guy.
  • edited January 2010
    Charming.
    Right fucking romantics we are.

EDIT: Free will is a myth.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2010
    Charming.
    Right fucking romantics we are.

EDIT: Free will is a myth.
    Also, everyone you know and love will die. The vast chances are that you will either die before your most beloved, knowing with your last breath that they will be doomed to heartwrenching grief as their one emotional constant in this chaotic world is brutally torn from them...Or that they will die before you, and consign you to that fate.

And since you missed it last time: ~_^

It's probably worth stating that loyalty, love, and shared memories are all things I find perfectly valid, that I don't agree with Ladder Theory at all, and that I don't quite believe that free will is a myth. I am, however, a hopeless romantic.