This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

edited February 2010 in Video Games
Civilization V was just announced.

I've never been very good at civilization because I suck as a person but I'll give it another shot.

Comments

• Ah fuck. I played Civ2 a fuckton as a kid. But I've bought both 3 and 4, and haven't really played them much at all. I'll either not buy five, or buy it and hardly play it.
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! MY POOR LIFE!
  • Fuck.

I've learned one lesson, at least. I'll get in on the ground floor to get maximum enjoyment from multiplayer.
  • edited February 2010
    Mmmmmmmm... Civ V
    EDIT: Is it possible to mod Civilization IV to use Hexagonal maps? That's the one thing I'm really interested in.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • EDIT: Is it possible to mod Civilization IV to use Hexagonal maps? That's the one thing I'm really interested in.
    You know what they say - Hex Sells.
  • You know what they say - Hex Sells.
    That it does, Churba, that it does.
  • God, that looks beautiful. And the graphics kinda make me want to play some Supreme Commander right now. I think it's the glittery sun reflections on the water.
  • edited February 2010
    That is amazing.
    It also makes me think of Settlers of Catan.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I just tried to have sex with that picture.

My coworkers are giving me funny looks.
  • Ye gods, there goes my life. Again.
  • I saw that picture while sitting in class, then proceeded to play a game of Civ IV on the spot to sate my urges. I just ended it after I controlled most of my continent (as Rome, of course). I'll reload that game and start colonizing later.
  • That is amazing.
    It also makes me think of Settlers of Catan.
    I get the feeling that they had that in mind.
  • Couple interesting updates via Kotaku from the GDC presentation (I hope forumites who are going get a chance to see it)
    The ground looked good, lifted naturally by mountain ranges and cut by rivers. As good as those graphics looked, the game is supposed to be able to run on the widest range of PC hardware specifications supported by the series yet, from laptops Civ fans use on planes to high-end PCs. The current minimum spec Firaxis is hoping to accommodate are 256 MB video cards and dual core processors. That target might change.
    Advisers are back in Civ V, characters who pop up to offer tips, Rival civilizations are now being programmed to fight with noticeably distinct artificial intelligence styles. (Less consequential to gameplay is the introduction of full-screen animations of rival leaders such as George Washington or Napoleon, set in character specific locales).

New city states appear on the map. These are always controlled by the computer. Players can enter pacts with them, trade with them, or even attack them. This complicates the relationships among the major civilizations, as an America that is friends with Budapest might be drawn into a war if it tries to free a besieged Budapest from the French. The city states were described by one developer showing the game as elements that "are there to make things happen."

A great civilization's area of influence used to spread evenly in Civ games. In the new one, a player will see the colored border representing the limits of their people's reach expand in more realistic ways. Turn after turn, the computer will automatically expand a player's civilization into areas that have relevant resources, say forest instead of desert, early in the game. Players can spend gold to speed the expansion.
    Combat has changed. Players will no longer be able to stack units onto one space and then carry that offensive stack to war. Each unit — which still represents and is depicted by — a cluster of fighters, can only occupy a space on its own. New ranged units can fire from afar (an extra hexagon away for the archers, according to the demo this week). And cities, which now have health bars, can fire back.
  • I'm really thinking the changes to combat are really going to make me like Civ V a lot more than Civ IV. When you can stack units, military conflict really comes down to who could produce more units of higher tech level in less time. That will still be a factor, but there will be some turn-based Advance Wars/Wesnoth type of play going on. I imagine you'll probably have to physically surround a city to take it. However with hexes, that will require at least 6 units, depending on the rules for blocking movement.
  • The ranged units actually having range is huge. You'll have actual lines of battle now.
  • Gasp so many cool things being added to Civ V (play by mail and hot seat just two of them)... Also

Puppet governments! When you take a city you have the option to Raze it (which now takes a few turns), take it over or create a puppet government!!! Where you get the money and culture but the city creates what it wants.
  • "With the hexes comes another change in combat, the granting of hit points to each fighting unit. A battle between your tanks and enemy cannons is not a zero-sum conflict. Instead, in the mode of Advance Wars — the great Nintendo strategy game that feels as if it has been syringe-injected into the Civ series with this new game — units will chip away at each other, flexing their strategic advantages based on terrain and weapons. Success in combat grants experience points boosts which allow units to be upgraded and even, in friendly territory, transformed into new types of units. [UPDATE: To elaborate on how the combat system has changed, let me add that because units now have hit points, a unit can lose a battle but still make it to the next turn to fight again, try to heal, move and so on.]"

400 Turns of Civilization VI think that line will make Rym Explode.
  • I read the same thing. CIV V is win.
  • What's so great about this is that Civ IV is already a fantastically fun game. Civ V crystalizes that into something far more dangerous.
  • Question will there be a Geeknights eps after September 21st?
  • Question will there be a Geeknights eps after September 21st?
    About Civ V, yea.
  • About Civ V, yea.
    For the next year? "So what games can we talk about... Well we played Civ 5 and NS 2 for the last year" Video game night ruined for at least a year.
  • For the next year? "So what games can we talk about... Well we played Civ 5 and NS 2 for the last year" Video game night ruined for at least a year.
    Dave and Joel talked about one stupid TV show forever.
  • Dave and Joel talked about one stupid TV show forever.
    New eps of a show though :-p Plus 24 is the type of show that is endlessly fun to make fun of because of it's over the top drama and action (and Jack Bauer).
    edited August 2010
    Dave and Joel talked about one stupid TV show forever.
    But they did it hilariously. You go do the same, then bring that argument again.
    Post edited by ... on
  • System Requirements Revealed
    Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: Dual Core CPU
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.
  • This makes me sad that my 2 year old computer now has obsolete video cards. That being said, how thinks ye dual 8800 GTX's 512MB in SLI will work?
  • This makes me sad that my 2 year old computer now has obsolete video cards. That being said, how thinks ye dual 8800 GTX's 512MB in SLI will work?
    I have an 8800 GT, and it will be just fine. Why did you get SLi? Everybody knows it's just a trick to get you to waste money on an extra video card.
  • When I bought the machine, I had a legitimate reason to use 2 monitors and "dual box" 2 games at the same time. Mainly so I could play an MMO on one screen and watch a video/play a different game on the other monitor. SLI as an "addon" was available to me and decided to get it as a "because I can" and use it only when I know a game has been coded specifically for it.