This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

Comments

• One week out! You can preload on Steam so you can play right away. I've been watching a bunch of videos (I didn't really know what most of the improvements were) and I'm much more impressed by the overall changes than I was previously.
  • I am legitimately pumped about this game.
  • Ever since Scott tweeted a reminder about it last night, I've been blurting out at random points, "Fuck! Civ 5 is here!". This game is going to eat all my free time and it's going to be glorious.
  • I'm actually tempted by this, which is saying something, because I normally actively dislike this sort of game.
  • I basically plan to play by myself all night once it comes out.

I also plan to start a large multiplayer game a few days later. It'll be extra fun before we're all good at the game, but we also want to at least get past "I lost my first city because I didn't understand the rules" stage.
  • dsfdsf
    edited September 2010
    I'll probably fire up a game the day it comes out with ScoJo and Laura Sladen.

I foresee ruined D&D nights because of this game.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • I foresee ruined D&D; nights lives because of this game.
  • I have to travel out to Indiana that weekend but I'll be getting a lot of practice in ^_^
  • We should play by e-mail so you don't have to wait for people to take their turns.
  • We should play by e-mail so you don't have to wait for people to take their turns.
    Or just set turn timers.
  • Or just set turn timers.
    Email is better for games that last more than four hours or so.
    Yea we experimented with turn timers down the shore and found while they do vastly speed up the game. They also cut back on the socializing and other stuff we wanted to do while playing.
    Yea we experimented with turn timers down the shore and found while they do vastly speed up the game. They also cut back on the socializing and other stuff we wanted to do while playing.
    The only hesitation I have with e-mail is that it's a lot of overhead early on having to boot the game every turn when there isn't much to do. Maybe it's different in Civ V.
  • I prefer email because it gives me time to check everything every turn. Therefore you have the possibility of a "perfect" game. With a timer I don't have time to go and look at every town and every unit every turn. I end up putting workers on auto and such and such. With email I never have to put a unit on auto. And because I'm taking maybe one or two turns per day, maybe three or four on a weekend, it won't be tedious to micromanage every unit.

What would be extra cool is if we could play the same game by email and also by Internet. So if there's an hour free, we can get online and blaze through a bunch of turns, but keep it going by email between real-time sessions.
  • What would be extra cool is if we could play the same game by email and also by Internet. So if there's an hour free, we can get online and blaze through a bunch of turns, but keep it going by email between real-time sessions.
    We might be able to do that, depending on how loading saves work.

Ideally, we'd start a game live, with voice chat. Once we stop that session, we then start a play by email mode for the remainder of the game. Maybe towards the end, when there are, like, three players left, they can blaze out the ending.
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe towards the end, when there are, like, three players left, they can blaze out the ending.
    This would be fun to watch, is there a spectator mode in Civ V?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm so into multiplayer action for this, omg.
  • E-mail for me would seem like soooo slow only able to play at the fastest setting (a setting I hate playing at)
  • but we also want to at least get past "I lost my first city because I didn't understand the rules" stage.
    Well why not read the released users manual this weekend? ~_^
  • And I was just about to go to bed ;-(
  • Having read it, the game is definitely simplified and streamlined. I do feel that it may leave CivIV with a valid place in my library for some time to come: they're different games.
  • Thankfully it comes out in 3 hours, so it can't trap me before I leave for work.
  • I'm expecting Advanced wars with 50% civ. To be expanded in some later expansion like how Beyond the sword infinitely refined and added things to make the experience better (like vassals).
  • I could always fake sick and go home...
  • I'm expecting Advanced wars with 50% civ. To be expanded in some later expansion like how Beyond the sword infinitely refined and added things to make the experience better (like vassals).
    Well, the game already has city-states.
  • I could always fake sick and go home...
    Faking nausea and at-will regurgitation - a surprisingly useful skillset.
  • Listening to the soundtrack at work... Oh mans... so soon I will be playing. Though with the laptop here I COULD be playing... No one will know... I could... yes I could....
  • Steam, fuck you. Why is your payment system broken? I can't buy the game and the only advice they give is contact steam support. There isn't even an option to wait for the problem to clear up, it says straight up the only thing possible now is contacting steam support.
  • Being to poor to afford the full game I played the steam demo. Too short to really get a handle on all the changes, but enough to start feeling the effect. Definitely fun.
  • After staying up far too late, I have my Bollywood achievement. Now to be only to rise in 5 hours!