This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Half-Life 2 for the Mac May 26th

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
YbjgK3No5H4
Oh Goodie!

Comments

• Hahaha. Is that a real advert or fan-made?
  • edited May 2010
    That looks real to me.
    Also, supposedly Valve released this in .wmv and .mov formats.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Hahaha. Is that a real advert or fan-made?
    Probably legit from Valve since it contains a previously unannounced release date.
  • It's been confirmed as legit by several news sites. I might get this depending on the price.
  • It's been confirmed as legit by several news sites. I might get this depending on the price.
    If you already own it on the PC then it's free on the Mac.

Also Portal is free to everyone, in case you didn't know.
  • Also Portal is free to everyone, in case you didn't know.
    Not since today.
    You assume I've ever had a gaming PC or that I've ever played the game. I have done neither. Right now, until I have a paycheck again, I won't buy a game for more than $10. I somehow doubt HL2 will be that cheap tomorrow.
  • edited May 2010
    Did you get Portal while it was free?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Wow, that only took, what 4 years?
    They had to wait till the generally affordable macs could play it :-p

//Yes I'm a Hater.
  • Did you get Portal while it was free?
    Yes I did.
    Tell me about it >.> I've been using WINE and Boot Camp for the time being.
    You assume I've ever had a gaming PC or that I've ever played the game. I have done neither. Right now, until I have a paycheck again, I won't buy a game for more than $10. I somehow doubt HL2 will be that cheap tomorrow.
    It's on sale for $6.99.
  • //Yes I'm a Hater.
    Better a hater than a fanatic. I can't tell you how many crazies flock to me when I have my Mac out. It gets sad really fast. Sometimes I wish they would just get a life.
  • It's on sale for $6.99.
    So it is. I was basing my assumption on bad information that the game was normally $20, when it was actually only $10.
  • Now you guys can play all the other cool games like Warcraft 3 and Photoshop.
  • Just a little update here, Orange Box for Mac is $21, though TF2 is technically a preorder.
  • //Yes I'm a Hater.
    Better a hater than a fanatic. I can't tell you how many crazies flock to me when I have my Mac out. It gets sad really fast. Sometimes I wish they would just get a life.
    People flock to you when you pull out your Mac? I have never experienced this. Of course, when I'm at school, Macs are incredibly common and my laptop almost never leaves the house when I'm at home.
  • Now you guys can play all the other cool games like Warcraft 3 and Photoshop.
    Us art kids have way to much free time.

I sooooo can't wait for TF2. I've had to go back to play my version in a WINE bottle on the Mac side since the one on my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition doesn't want to work for some reason. Stupid debug error.
  • I sooooo can't wait for TF2.
    Watch out. You can unlock swords by gaining achievements and then level them up to do more damage. I wish I was joking.

TF2 is fucking dead to me.
  • Are you sure? The weapons have levels, but as far as I knew that was just a joke by Valve, and the weapon levels are randomly generated and have no impact on the damage. I haven't played in ages, though.
  • Are you sure? The weapons have levels, but as far as I knew that was just a joke by Valve, and the weapon levels are randomly generated and have no impact on the damage. I haven't played in ages, though.
    Yeah, I think this is right. There are (as far as I can tell) no differences between a level 1 weapon and a level 56 one.
  • There are (as far as I can tell) no differences between a level 1 weapon and a level 56 one.
    But there are differences between weapons you unlock with achievements versus weapons you start with. That's still BS in a stateless game.
  • But there are differences between weapons you unlock with achievements versus weapons you start with. That's still BS in a stateless game.
    Very, very true. However, I've found that when you can play the game with friends it can be fun to just enjoy it for what it is and not compare it to previous incarnations or what we had in mind for it when it was released.
  • However, I've found that when you can play the game with friends it can be fun to just enjoy it for what it is and not compare it to previous incarnations or what we had in mind for it when it was released.
    True, but finding enough people to play a proper match without the BS items is not easy. I'm also fairly confidant that I can run a perfect flag defense on every capture map that existed as of the last time I played, defeating the purpose of playing a game in the first place. ^_~
  • True, but finding enough people to play a proper match without the BS items is not easy.
    Even with the BS items, I don't really find it difficult to have a fun and enjoyable game. However, it's not difficult for me to get about twelve of my friends to play on a single server and use Teamspeak to coordinate, so my view on the issue may be skewed.
    I'm also fairly confidant that I can run a perfect flag defense on every capture map that existed as of the last time I played, defeating the purpose of playing a game in the first place. ^_~
    Yeah, it's probably best to just play CP or Goldrush maps.
  • I find Rym's TF2 hate to be a bit snobbish. The gameplay is remarkably balanced considering there are so many classes and weapons. And so what if there are unlockables? They don't always give an advantage -- like the Backburner. It's less powerful than the normal flamethrower, but uses a different strategy.
  • And so what if there are unlockables? They don't always give an advantage -- like the Backburner. It's less powerful than the normal flamethrower, but uses a different strategy.
    But why give those options only to people who level up? Why reward time spent with additional tactical options in a multi-player game? What if, in Starcraft, you got the ability to spawn two slightly different versions of Zerglings, but only if you'd beaten 100 opponents without using Zerglings at all? Doesn't that sound stupid? TF2 did effectively that.

The game is well-balanced, but also has a very low skill cap and lots of stateful cruft that, for me, ruin it.
  • They don't always give an advantage -- like the Backburner. It's less powerful than the normal flamethrower, but uses a different strategy.
    God, we've explained this so many times, but you people still don't get it.

Let's say you have three different weapons. One is super strong, but slow. One is super fast, but weak. One is balanced.

Player one only gets the balanced weapon.

Player two can take his pick of the three.

Even though the weapons are balanced, it's still not fair. The second player has three times as many tactical options available.

Let me make an analogy.

You're playing Monopoly. Player one can only roll 2d6. Player two can choose between 1d4, 2d6, and 3d12. It's balanced. If he chooses 3d12, it will be a lot harder for him to move short distances, but easier to move long ones. If he chooses 1d4, it will be hard to move long distances, but easier to move short ones. It's equal, but different.

In games, only equal is equal.

Now, asymmetry is not bad. Starcraft is asymmetrical. Dune is asymmetrical. Natural Selection is asymmetrical. The thing is, they are not statefully asymmetrical. You don't have a situation in Starcraft where one player can only be Terran because he hasn't unlocked Zerg or Protoss. Everyone has the same three races available to choose from.
  • Why do games need to be fair?