This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Half-Life 2 for the Mac May 26th

Comments

• I wouldn't recommend those moves in a real deathmatch, I'm pretty sure that the server settings are in clan deathmatch (which makes it so your rockets don't kill you) and from the amount of railgun shots they survived they have more then the average life.
  • I wouldn't recommend those moves in a real deathmatch, I'm pretty sure that the server settings are in clan deathmatch (which makes it so your rockets don't kill you) and from the amount of railgun shots they survived they have more then the average life.
    I just tried to find a video demonstrating the speed and precision possible in a PC FPS that is basically impossible on the console. Anyone find any better ones?
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldn't recommend those moves in a real deathmatch, I'm pretty sure that the server settings are in clan deathmatch (which makes it so your rockets don't kill you) and from the amount of railgun shots they survived they have more then the average life.
    Word. Hey, look at those sweet trick rocket jumps owait you just had your face melted by a railgun.
    I just tried to find a video demonstrating the speed and precision possible in a PC FPS that is basically impossible on the console. Anyone find any better ones?
    Then Explain, Scott, How I can replicate every single trickjump and manoeuvre that I can do on Quake 3 PC, on Quake 3 for the Original Xbox? Explain how I've seen every manoeuvre and trickjump that I've seen in the PC version replicated on the Xbox version?
    Because since it's "impossible", I'm absolutely fucking fascinated to find out what is causing what absolutely MUST be a hallucination. Maybe it's a tumour? I don't know. I NEED YOUR WISDOM, OH MASTERFUL ONE.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Then Explain, Scott, How I can replicate every single trickjump and manoeuvre that I can do on Quake 3 PC, on Quake 3 for the Original Xbox? Explain how I've seen every manoeuvre and trickjump that I've seen in the PC version replicated on the Xbox version?
    Proof plox. Replicate the video posted above.
  • Then Explain, Scott, How I can replicate every single trickjump and manoeuvre that I can do on Quake 3 PC, on Quake 3 for the Original Xbox? Explain how I've seen every manoeuvre and trickjump that I've seen in the PC version replicated on the Xbox version?
    Because since it's "impossible", I'm absolutely fucking fascinated to find out what is causing what absolutely MUST be a hallucination. Maybe it's a tumour? I don't know.
    How do you turn around? How fast is it?
  • edited June 2010
    Proof plox. Replicate the video posted above.
    I'm not as skilled as the people in that video, quite simply - though I can do all the standard trick jumps and rocket jumps quite competently - nor do I have the custom maps they use, nor do I have the settings they are using, Nor do I have a copy of the game available to me. But I'll keep my eye open when I'm in town to try and get a copy of the game, at the least, and I'll see how we go, if it's backwards compatible on the 360.
    How do you turn around? How fast is it?
    It's very nearly as fast as the PC version - there is a noticeable, fractional difference in the speed, but "Noticeable" doesn't equal "Significant" in this case, as it's beyond the threshold of performance for most people, or at least, that I've seen or experienced.
    It does throw you off a bit, at first, if you're used to the PC version, since your reactions are tuned just slightly wrong for the speed, and you have to use the controls quite differently, but you very quickly adapt.
    I'll agree that some games do slow it down - MW2 or BFBC2 move at a snail's pace by comparison, most of the time - but that's a game issue, not necessarily a console issue.

EDIT - In retrospect - I think the relatively similar speed of the Console version actually gave some people trouble, as they simply couldn't deal with it, as they were used to the slower games of the time, for example, Serious sam and the like.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm not as skilled as the people in that video, quite simply - though I can do all the standard trick jumps and rocket jumps quite competently - nor do I have the custom maps they use, nor do I have the settings they are using, Nor do I have a copy of the game available to me. But I'll keep my eye open when I'm in town to try and get a copy of the game, at the least, and I'll see how we go, if it's backwards compatible on the 360.
    Explain how I've seen every manoeuvre and trickjump that I've seen in the PC version replicated on the Xbox version?
    Again, need proof otherwise

• nor do I have the custom maps they use, nor do I have the settings they are using, Nor do I have a copy of the game available to me.
    Nor can you find a YouTube video proving your point?
  • edited June 2010
    Again, need proof otherwise
    Make a reasonable request, then. Asking a student physicist to equal the feats of Einstein isn't a reasonable request, so why do you seem to think asking a slightly above average player to replicate the feats of some extremely good players is?
    Didn't think of that. I'll go on the hunt, but I'm not entirely sure that I'll find any - It wasn't terribly popular of a game on the console. But, I'll put in the effort.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    You've said you've seen. Where? How can I see as well?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • You've said you've seen. Where? How can I see as well?
    See above edit. I'll look. I can't promise I'll find, because it wasn't exactly a popular game, could only be played on a modded xbox, and it was been gone and done before youtube was even thought of, which only makes it harder. But I'll still try, because let's face it, it's the internet - if there's going to be a video of it anywhere I can get to it, it'll be around somewhere on the internet.
  • See above edit. I'll look. I can't promise I'll find, because it wasn't exactly a popular game, could only be played on a modded xbox, and it was been gone and done before youtube was even thought of, which only makes it harder. But I'll still try, because let's face it, it's the internet - if there's going to be a video of it anywhere I can get to it, it'll be around somewhere on the internet.
    Find ANY console FPS video where players are performing any maneuvers we are claiming are impossible without a mouse. And if they are using a mouse that doesn't count. I know some consoles have mad mouse support, like the SNES.
  • edited June 2010
    Find ANY console FPS video where players are performing any maneuvers we are claiming are impossible without a mouse.
    Well, if you're going to take away that limitation, this is just the first one I saw, and I don't know if they're on the same level as that Quake video since they're two different games, but there are tons of videos like this to sift through.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I finally found a demo that makes a good point of comparison. Quake speedrun. Show me the console equivalent.

• edited June 2010
    Find ANY console FPS video where players are performing any maneuvers we are claiming are impossible without a mouse. And if they are using a mouse that doesn't count. I know some consoles have mad mouse support, like the SNES.
    That makes it much easier, as the above videos show - Quake 3 on the console was the main problem. Videos of some pretty astounding feats of skill performed on console FPS's are not uncommon.
    I finally found a demo that makes a good point of comparison. Quake speedrun. Show me the console equivalent.
    But, it's not a good comparison, because that game isn't available on any modern console - Only the N64, which required some pretty severe compromises to work. If you want a Good point of comparison, find a speedrun or trick demo of a game that's available, current Gen, on both - which shouldn't be hard, since there are quite a few around right now, TF2, MW2, BFBC2, Alphabet soup 3, etc, etc.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • because that game isn't available on any modern console
    Which is exactly the point. That game is not only not available on console, it's not POSSIBLE on a console. Those other games you mentioned are all dumbed down games that suck no matter what system they are on.
  • edited June 2010
    Which is exactly the point. That game is not only not available on console, it's not POSSIBLE on a console. Those other games you mentioned are all dumbed down games that suck no matter what system they are on.
    I won't argue the latter point - they really are, frankly, but that's an issue game to game, not on consoles overall.

However, the former point is bullshit. It is possible on a console. The Games are the problem, not the system. Not to mention - I'd like to see you match the feats I've seen in, say, Halo. You say it's a baby game, and you profess a high level of skill, then you should be able to easily master the game and rapidly become an extremely skilled player - you should be able to match the feats of other high-level players, for example, making a one hit kill headshot on the driver of a Warthog moving at top speed, for one particularly spectacular example. It's only slightly greater of a rate of movement than quake, so you should be able to manage something like that, if other people can manage it in a baby game.

The Challenge is on the table, Scott. Throw down and put action to your big words, or no matter how much you sneer from the pedestal you put yourself on, you're still doing nothing more than shit-talking. You like to talk a hell of a lot of the talk, but I don't think you've got the skill to walk the walk, and you're blaming the game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's like asking Tiger Woods to play Putt Putt. How about you man up and play some Golf?
  • That's like asking Tiger Woods to play Putt Putt. How about you man up and play some Golf?
    I've been playing PC FPS as long as you have, Scott - I'm not just some punk kid who doesn't know what's up.

But thanks for the laugh, though. It might be like asking Tiger woods to play Putt-Putt, but I'm not asking tiger woods, I'm asking the guy who hangs around the pro-shop telling everyone how brilliant he is at golf, but whenever he gets on the course, he's claiming his clubs are bent, the weather is bad, his shirt is too tight and the other players are putting him off.

You wanna talk about manning up? Then grow a pair, and stand behind what you say.
  • You wanna talk about manning up? Then grow a pair, and stand behind what you say.
    Buy me a copy of Halo then. I'll buy you a copy of Quake Live.
  • edited June 2010
    Buy me a copy of Halo then. I'll buy you a copy of Quake Live.
    Alright, done deal, so to speak - I get my new Australian card sent to me in few weeks, I'll get you a copy from Amazon. I know quake live is free, but frankly, I'd turn you down even if it did cost money, I'm not cool with people buying me things. Long story.

Edit - And, I've also said it in front of the people on the geekchat, including Emily, and asked those who were willing to hold me to my word to do so. I'm nothing if not a man of my word.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Buy me a copy of Halo then. I'll buy you a copy of Quake Live.
    Alright, done deal, so to speak - I get my new Australian card sent to me in few weeks, I'll get you a copy from Amazon. I know quake live is free, but frankly, I'd turn you down even if it did cost money, I'm not cool with people buying me things. Long story.

Edit - And, I've also said it in front of the people on the geekchat, including Emily, and asked those who were willing to hold me to my word to do so. I'm nothing if not a man of my word.
    If someone could rig some vids, that'd be nice, too. I'd definitely like to see this go down.

If someone could rig some vids, that'd be nice, too. I'd definitely like to see this go down.
    I can't recall, but I think you can track player stats for halo online, but I'd have to check - it'd just be more convenient than watching the recordings of the matches. However, you can record and share your matches right in the game - a pretty neat little feature bungie included.
  • What version are we talking about here? Should we wait for Halo 4 or whatever?

What version are we talking about here? Should we wait for Halo 4 or whatever?
  • edited June 2010
    What version are we talking about here? Should we wait for Halo 4 or whatever?
    I figure since Halo Reach, the one that's coming out soon, is availiable for pre-order from Amazon, I'd just go for that, but it's your call - If you want ODST or Halo 3 instead, that's up to you.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'd just go for that, but it's your call - If you want ODST or Halo 3 instead, that's up to you.
    What's the difference?
  • edited June 2010
    What's the difference?
    Well, the difference between ODST and Halo 3 is almost entirely the single player game - ODST is a short, noir-style sort of affair(I'm talking burn-through-in-about-4-hours kinda short, with some extra filler which is essentially an entirely optional fetch quest), and comes with one extra multiplayer mode, which is essentially just Horde mode, which is surprisingly fun. It comes with a second disk, which is essentially just the Halo 3 Multiplayer mode.
    Halo 3 has a far longer singleplayer campaign(about ten hours) but lacks the horde mode.

Gameplay between the two is slightly different, as in one, you're meant to be a heavily armoured, seven foot tall super-soldier, and the other, a regular special forces trooper - It's really not a huge difference, really. One jumps higher and runs faster, the other has computer-assisted night vision, and is put in an environment that allows you to sneak around and avoid combat a more than before. Other than that, the only real difference is that in one, your magical recharging damage soak is called "Shields" and in the other, "Stamina", with the non-recharging health bar below both.

Edit - Both Single player campaigns(ODST and Halo 3) also do co-op, either over xbox live or split-screen on the same console.

As for Halo Reach - It's apparently an even longer single player than Halo 3, with a lot of the gameplay revamped, updated and changed. You have a large number of new multiplayer modes, new weapons, new vehicles, and new things called "Armour abilities", such as Cloaking, sprinting, Jetpacks(which I played with in the beta, and can honestly say is the best jetpack in a game since Tribes - Not better than tribes, but not much worse, and certainly better than anything since tribes) and Armor lock, where you become temporarily impervious and fire out a damaging Argey-bargey science fiction babble wave, but you can't move or shoot.

Also, for reach, the Engine has been updated - both physics and graphics - and everything tweaked pretty hardcore during the beta(as in, multiple times a day kinda hardcore), and bungie tends to do a lot of tweaks when they've just released a game, too - though they tend to add new game modes and slightly tweak existing ones, rather than new perks and weapons like TF2 did.

It's extremely similar in engine, though, despite the improvements - It's kept the benefits of the previous games (for example, the ability to make some truly stunning kills - I once figured out a spot on a map where 9 times out of ten, if you shot a particular explosive barrel, it would send a traffic cone at ludicrous speed down a narrow corridor at about head height - I managed quite a few times to drop oncoming players with a high-speed traffic cone to the face from across the map) but got rid of some of the odd quirks in the physics, as well as adding some extra bits and pieces.

In my experience, it combines the speed and weapons that felt just right from the original game, and combined it with what they learned in the two games that came after, along with an extensive overhaul.

Double edit - From my experience in the multiplayer beta of Reach, I will add one more thing - It's just straight up more fun that the previous incarnations, which were still not exactly lacking in that department.
    Post edited by Churba on